Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagons seen in media: film, Internet, games, magazines, etc.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

The movie Beirut has lots of Vanagon sightings and even starring role as the vehicle of choice for several scenes.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Quote from the Article:

http://www.wweek.com/culture/2018/06/26/the-portla...all-wrong/

I decided I wanted to photograph a bunch of people for the next book, and thought buying a van and traveling around in it would be a good start. At the time [2010], vans weren't even remotely the thing they are now. I would look at vans on this forum called the Samba, and I would daydream while looking at them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yeah, you invented 'vans'
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Hubris be thy name

y u rune klassik?
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Nice shot of a westy in a video about estimating the stars in the sky,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

At 4:56 in the video on Vimeo here:

https://vimeo.com/275908702

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I thought it might be of interest.

This guy sounds like the German version of Magnus Walker. His accent sounds strange to me, and I've never heard German spoken like this.

Link

Magnus

Link

y u rune klassik?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
This guy sounds like the German version of Magnus Walker. His accent sounds strange to me, and I've never heard German spoken like this.

East German. License plate is from Rostock, in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (upper right corner above Berlin, next to Poland).
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Ach so.

y u rune klassik?
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Just saw an episode of Americas got Talent and they had a shot of the front end of a westy with a sign in the window I believe it said next stop AGT auditions.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

On a flight from Chicago to Venice, Italy I watched a film titled "L'Italiano Medio", the average Italian. The guy is a environmentalist and kind of a loser. He becomes part of a group of environementalists whose car is....a Vanagon.

Very funny movie. Sorry I could not find any images online of the vanagon.

In Italian-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP3qVe8uh70
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

I got an email advert form Luna Sandals (distance running is another of my passions).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Not a fun spotting, but on Frontline tonight during the UN Sex Abuse Scandal episode, some shots of traffic in the Central African Republic show Transporters, like a red and white one at about the 30-minute mark, but if you watch this to show see vans you'll be bummed out by the topic.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
I got an email advert form Luna Sandals (distance running is another of my passions).

You run in sandals?
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

You run in sandals?

Yes I do.

When I turned 50 my mid life crisis/challenge was, "Wonder if I can run a marathon?" I did. But after long training runs (anything over 12 miles) my knees would always be very sore. After the marathon I was limping.

Then a friend suggesting reading the book "Born to Run" about the Tarahumara Indians in Mexico and how they ran ridiculously long distances in sandals. I tried them. It took a long while to get used to them (mostly blisters and chafing) but I've now done 6 marathons and my knees have never really hurt again.

Also, I make my own and they cost about $20 a pair and one pair lasts me 3 marathons plus all the training.

Last edited by llilibel03 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Applause
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

Exactly - total respect!! Shocked Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Not a fun spotting, but on Frontline tonight during the UN Sex Abuse Scandal episode, some shots of traffic in the Central African Republic show Transporters, like a red and white one at about the 30-minute mark, but if you watch this to show see vans you'll be bummed out by the topic.

Found a clip.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

flyngsqril wrote:
I did NOT get a screen grab, but in the first 5 minutes of 'A Quiet Place' with Emily Blunt, you see the back end of a T3 parked outside of a grocery store. Sadly, when they leave the grocery store, the camera never pans back to that angle.

We watched this movie last night, and yelled "Vanagon!" and my whole family shushed me. It's an intensely quiet movie...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

We've been watching reruns of CHiPs lately and there's a VW in nearly every scene.

Sweet brown 78-'79 westy in last nights episode.

I used the search however CHiPs didn't come up if this is a dupe.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagons in electronic media: film, Internet, games, etc. Reply with quote

designer wrote:
We've been watching reruns of CHiPs lately and there's a VW in nearly every scene.

In the 70s the streets were full of vw's, and they were cheap too.
I must have bought 20 vw's in the 70s, bugs and split window buses, and never paid more than 300.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 80

Jump to: