Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
Just finished this thread. Thanks for posting all the info and pics. Can’t wait to start digging into my new camper and see what secrets I uncover. To say I’ve been bitten by the VW bus bug is a wild understatement!

Right on!! Very cool bus you have! Looking forward to following your progress.
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

So where did you get the new paneling at with that wide spacing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

twistedbug wrote:

The spacing of the paneling I bought is not quite as wide as the original paneling, but the "random grooves" are laid out the same as the original.

This company has a lot of different paneling but most of it is a print. The first stuff I bought was a print and I ended up scrapping it all and started over with this stuff:

http://www.designthespace.com/products/oak-veneer-random-plank-paneling-stainable.html

It was shipped out in a semi-trailer (RL Carriers) on a 4x8 pallet which wasn't cheap but it was the closest thing I could find within reason.

Note: There can be a variation between the different sheets of paneling regarding color of the wood pre-stain which will affect the final result. I bought a couple extra sheets and was able to have it all look pretty much the same color. Anyone going this route I would even suggest calling the company and see if they can hand-pick similar color sheets.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
twistedbug wrote:

The spacing of the paneling I bought is not quite as wide as the original paneling, but the "random grooves" are laid out the same as the original.

This company has a lot of different paneling but most of it is a print. The first stuff I bought was a print and I ended up scrapping it all and started over with this stuff:

http://www.designthespace.com/products/oak-veneer-random-plank-paneling-stainable.html

It was shipped out in a semi-trailer (RL Carriers) on a 4x8 pallet which wasn't cheap but it was the closest thing I could find within reason.

Note: There can be a variation between the different sheets of paneling regarding color of the wood pre-stain which will affect the final result. I bought a couple extra sheets and was able to have it all look pretty much the same color. Anyone going this route I would even suggest calling the company and see if they can hand-pick similar color sheets.

i have plenty of that in my den. early 70s. enough for several buses i think Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
twistedbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
twistedbug wrote:

I don't think I'm going that route, Birch paneling at lowes is reasonable, with a dado blade or 2 blades on my table saw I could match up the grooves in the OG paneling, making it match in color is a different story, hate to take it all out and lose the O,GNEEZ of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

While going through my bus (which I was told was an "Alabama Camper" I pulled out the tent/canopy poles and put them together recently. Luckily all the pieces were there. Interested in tracking down a full length canopy to go on this frame, preferably one that has snaps that will secure it to the metal rods. Any suggestions on a vendor for such an item?

Also, any idea what the pieces of pipe that hang down from the main crossbar by the bus, the ones with eye holes in them, are for?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
Interested in tracking down a full length canopy to go on this frame, preferably one that has snaps that will secure it to the metal rods. Any suggestions on a vendor for such an item?

Here's the exact complete tent + poles that goes with your frame. If you go back a few pages in this thread you can see it's the same one I had. Expensive, yes..but still cheap compared to a Westfalia tent and poles by a long shot.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2113962

Waterborn wrote:

Also, any idea what the pieces of pipe that hang down from the main crossbar by the bus, the ones with eye holes in them, are for?

My poles were slightly different as the 2 supports actually went to holes in the front and rear bumpers.

These camper kits had a lot of small changes and improvements over the years.

Also.. When i posted this I thought the "extra" piece was to cover the cargo door opening. I later realized that you hang it on one of the center cross tubes and it creates a bathroom or changing room within the tent.

oakman wrote:

There is even a piece that covers the cargo door opening:
(Disregard the yellow curtains, they're not staying.)

Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. WOW on that price! Shocked How much do you think that a complete set of poles would go for? At those rates it seems the pole set would fund a rather nice roof rack.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
Thanks for the info. WOW on that price! Shocked How much do you think that a complete set of poles would go for? At those rates it seems the pole set would fund a rather nice roof rack.

The money is in the vintage fabric and it's design. The poles are 1/2" emt
electrical conduit and connectors. Pretty easy for someone with a little skill and a pipe bender.
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Makes sense
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Digging into fixing up the windows on my camper and just re-read this thread. At one point you mention odd-shaped screw heads on your hehr windows. I noticed that I have what at first looked like allen head screws mounting the crank to the window frame. Closer inspection showed that the heads are actually oblong shaped (will try to get decent pics this weekend). Did you ever find the proper tool for removing these screws? Hoping to be able to remove and fix the cranks and would hate to have to drill out these screws.

Also getting ready to drop the engine for the first time (to gain access to the fuel tank to install a new sender). Have a group of more seasoned friends ready to help me out and have been working with them on other engine drops to get ready. With that said, still a bit nervous. Smile
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
Closer inspection showed that the heads are actually oblong shaped (will try to get decent pics this weekend). Did you ever find the proper tool for removing these screws? Hoping to be able to remove and fix the cranks and would hate to have to drill out these screws.

I was able to use either a small allen wrench or a square screw bit to remove those odd headed screws. I don't remember the size of allen or square bit but it was just the right size to fit snugly. Those screw heads are a trip.

The second best tool for ease of engine removal (beside the factory tool) is a harbor-freight motorcycle jack. It's almost like they were made for the job. I found mine a few years back at a yard sale for cheap.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lbs-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:

I was able to use either a small allen wrench or a square screw bit to remove those odd headed screws. I don't remember the size of allen or square bit but it was just the right size to fit snugly. Those screw heads are a trip.

The second best tool for ease of engine removal (beside the factory tool) is a harbor-freight motorcycle jack. It's almost like they were made for the job. I found mine a few years back at a yard sale for cheap.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lbs-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html

Thanks for the input. Will try to locate a workable bit that can remove those odd screws on the windows.

My friends have one of those motorcycle jacks and yes, it does work nicely.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Waterborn wrote:
oakman wrote:

Thanks for the input. Will try to locate a workable bit that can remove those odd screws on the windows.

My friends have one of those motorcycle jacks and yes, it does work nicely.

Do you suppose it is CLUTCH HEAD? Screwdrivers and bits are out there.
These were used a lot on 1950's GM cars

To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Waterborn wrote:

The money is in the vintage fabric and it's design. The poles are 1/2" emt
electrical conduit and connectors. Pretty easy for someone with a little skill and a pipe bender.

Right. 1/2" EMT (Electrical Metallic Tubing) About $20 worth of stuff there. If building one from scratch, I'd try to find STEEL couplings rather than die cast. they might cost about $.75 each instead of $.25 but are about 10 times as strong.
Most any first year electrical apprentice can bend this up in an hour.
Al
Vanagons:
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

That looks like them, thanks for the info!!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:

That looks like them, thanks for the info!!

They were used in 2 or 3 sizes. 1946-55 Chevies, early Corvettes to 1962 used clutch head screws under the hood and to hold headlight buckets in. I suppose they were attempt at more hoding ability and easy use on power tools on the assembly line.
ANY good tool company will have drivers and bits.
I just love my little Milwaukee M18 impact driver. I use a 1/4 hex to 3/8 square drive with impact sockets and 1/4 phillips and others under the hood.
Al
Vanagons:
Michaelfind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

I finally got this camper cleaned up a bit and took it to a local car show. I was pleasantly surprised to see a big turnout, since last years show was cancelled due to COVID.

I took a few pictures with the canopy set up and some of the interior. This is all original as far as I know. My father bought this camper in 1971.

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

Michaelfind wrote:
I finally got this camper cleaned up a bit and took it to a local car show. I was pleasantly surprised to see a big turnout, since last years show was cancelled due to COVID.

I took a few pictures with the canopy set up and some of the interior. This is all original as far as I know. My father bought this camper in 1971.

Your bus looks great!! I would bet that your bus is one of, if not THE cleanest and most original Alabama Camper out there. Very nice!!!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Montgomery Ward/ Alabama Camper Reply with quote

What a beauty.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: