Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WheelSkins steering wheel cover
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Well look see what the mail human left in my box today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Put it on last night and took a few pictures of the process.

This one I call the "no way is that going to fit. Its too small." shot

But if you've ever spooned a motorcycle tire on a wheel, you know it will fit. I put the electrical tape on the top to keep it centered at 12 o'clock. Then another piece at 3 to hold that portion in place while I worked my fingers around the clock stretching it over the wheel.

Making sure the 'gap' is uniform around the circumference of the wheel by pinching it with my grubby fingers.

and the other side

Pay careful attention to the spoke areas to ensure that the stitches don't fall out of sync front to back and that they pull tight against the spoke.

Note how the stitch goes across front to back on top of the wheel while the needle goes across to the next hole inside the wrap (diagonally)

Finished wheel wrapped and ready for my sweaty mitts to soil its virginal surface.

Very happy with the quality and fit of the wrap. Sadly I'm waiting for my Tdi starter to arrive so I can test the wheel out.

as an aside, you can push start a Vanagon in a flat parking lot. Ask how I know.

Rolling Eyes

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

That's one of my favorite upgrades that I've made to my van. After 7 years it still looks and feels perfect.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Here is where I ordered mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-VW-TRANSPORTER-T25-C...3cc538fd28
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Nice Job 9.5, looks sweet! Nice photo documentation!
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I installed one on my bus in 1992, still love it!

People asked me how I managed to get it to fit. The trick I found for an easy and nice tight fit is to soak the Wheelskins cover in hot water for 30-40 min and then mount and stich it on, It will dry even snugger to the steering wheel than otherwise possible.

Just a regular guy
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Here is an alternative cover that worked well for a fraction of the cost. I used the soak for shrinking method to get a tight fit.

Bought on Amazon for $13.99 Prime shipped - Get the XL size
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F1C7X7/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Original Install after soaking in water for an hour:

Texture of the leather:

Cover tightened up after a few days in the HOT weather we've had in Reno this week:

Back side:
[/img]
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I love our Wheelskins cover.

I had to do it twice, it seemed pulling the string really tightly to get the ends to snug up tightly would break the string, but it doesn't.

Crank 'er down!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

[quote="dlb154"]Here is an alternative cover that worked well for a fraction of the cost. I used the soak for shrinking method to get a tight fit.

Bought on Amazon for $13.99 Prime shipped - Get the XL size
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F1C7X7/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 [quote]

dlb: I just ordered one, the XL as you recommended. Then remembered that there are two steering wheel sizes- I've got power steering, thus the smaller wheel. Iw that what you have or should I cancel and re-order a size or two smaller? -Thanks -pinetree
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Pinetree -

The XL is what you want for power steering. Measure your steering wheel diameter. It should be about 16.5". The circumference of the grip area is about 3.5"

The XL size is listed with slightly larger diameter (they say 17"-18") but using the soak/shrink method mine fits very nice. Circumference was perfect.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Hey, whatever works, as long as you got it on!
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I've had one for years in my Volvo, but it has become relatively slick as it wore a bit, so the grip isn't that great. For the Vanagon, I used the Europerf version (all in black for me) and I really recommend that one.

I have actually broken the string while tightening, but that was when trying to put one on the Eurovan steering wheel that I had. The wheelskins doesn't fit well on that due to how wide the spokes are. I went back to a Vanagon steering wheel anyway. Wheelskins sent me a replacement immediately.

I've also cut myself at the crease of the fingers when putting this on, then remembered to wear a glove.
DustyMiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I see what you did there. It's the Euro but you put it on up side down to fit the wheel spoke.
How do you like it two years later? Are the perforations full of hand grime?
Rick Sanchez, J19ζ7
Thor-bob Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

This is the single best thing you can do to your van.

You touch the wheel more than anything else. In the van. Of the van.

Support WheelSkins - they do custom stuff!

Thor-bob
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

I installed a Wheelskin 10 years ago... still looks new.

It's a lot easier if you remove the steering wheel. That way you can move it around for the best access.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to add some thickening material on the wheel rim prior to installing the Wheelskins? I've used these before, and I have a stock Vanagon rim here with one, but I find the girth to be lacking. I'm used to a girthy heft in my hand and won't settle for less. The rim just feels kinda boney underneath and seems like it should have some padding. I can't remember if there's enough stretch in the leather to allow for some additional padding. Anyone?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

A material that may work quite well for padding would be bicycle handlebar tape. It's literally designed to wrap around a tubular control surface of about this diameter. It's designed to withstand years of hard use, weathering, and hand oils, so will hold up well under there. Keep in mind it will have a texture if wrapped certain ways so if you don't want that look at different materials as some of them have beveled edges to minimize that. Also, you'll have to get a substantially larger steering wheel wrap than that specified for your vehicle.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I installed a Wheelskin 10 years ago... still looks new.

It's a lot easier if you remove the steering wheel. That way you can move it around for the best access.

I just put one of these on our van a few weeks ago while it was down for some other winter work. Was just thinking how nice it was to have the wheel mounted so it was really easy to pull against when snugging the stitches
Different strokes I guess!

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Has anyone tried to add some thickening material on the wheel rim prior to installing the Wheelskins? I've used these before, and I have a stock Vanagon rim here with one, but I find the girth to be lacking. I'm used to a girthy heft in my hand and won't settle for less. The rim just feels kinda boney underneath and seems like it should have some padding. I can't remember if there's enough stretch in the leather to allow for some additional padding. Anyone?

It adds a decent bit of heft to the wheel once on. I was impressed. That dainty feel was one of my gripes with the factory unit.
If you added something you'd need to find a different wheel skin to fit, as it's already juuuust big enough to roll over the factory wheel

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

It's definitely an improvement, but it still doesn't feel as nice as the factory leather wheel that originally came on my Bluestar, or the Mk1 Cabriolet wheel currently on there, or the Mk4 GLI version on my T4. I'd just like to have a little extra something to put on a standard T3 wheel. I wonder if you soaked the leather in hot water prior to install, it would be possible to add some extra padding underneath. My mind never stops trying to muck up progress.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Wheelskins are great, I plan on getting another couple for my other vans.
On my old 91 20vt Avant, I sent the wheel off to Redline Goods to get it reskinned and also thickened. I believe I added a 1/16" foam to it, so an 1/8" increase in girth overall. Such a small amount made all the difference.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: WheelSkins steering wheel cover Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It's definitely an improvement, but it still doesn't feel as nice as the factory leather wheel that originally came on my Bluestar, or the Mk1 Cabriolet wheel currently on there, or the Mk4 GLI version on my T4. I'd just like to have a little extra something to put on a standard T3 wheel. I wonder if you soaked the leather in hot water prior to install, it would be possible to add some extra padding underneath. My mind never stops trying to muck up progress.

Might be worth bugging wheel skins about it, I've heard nothing but great things about their customer service. Maybe they have some idea of how much you could get away with before it won't fit under the existing wrap
I was never a fan of the mk1 leather wheels, but I've probably only felt them super worn out already hah

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: