Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

I just purchased a VDO cylinder head gauge for my 76 Bay and was wondering if the sender kit with the 15' length is going to be long enough to get it under the dash, and if not is it possible to lengthen the wires without affecting the readings Or is there a longer one on the market that i haven't seen yet?
Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

no. You can extend it as long as it is on the regular wire side and not on the shielded side. Make sure you use a good wire, preferably the same color, solder it, and protect it from chafing and corrosion. I take the crush ring off the plug and let the ring act a seal. You can also use a copper crush ring. The normal ones will wedge out the ring terminal and eventually cause it to elongate.
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

Thanks SGKent that's exactly what i wanted to hear and i didn't even think about the crush washer on the plug Thanks again!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

With the ring terminal and standard pigtail that came with my gauge plus a 15' extension reaching the dash was easy.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

Yes....you can extend the thermocouple (TC) wire as long as you use the same type of TC wire.

Virtually all of the head temp gauges are a K type thermocouple. You can simply buy K type TC wire and make a very clean crimped butt connection on each wire. Mind the colors. The wires are color coded not for positive/negative but for wire metal type. Virtually all TC wires use a universal color coding for the specific type.

Check here:
https://www.omega.com/techref/colorcodes.html

You can buy TC extension wire...probably from the source I listed above...or from Mcmaster carr....or from a wide range of other places.

You can extend the wire using TC wire...as long as you do not get the wires mixed up...or disturb the T junction where it mounts at the cylinder head sensor/ring terminal. This T-junction is usually a welded bead in a crimped application.

I just finished extending a 15' K type thermocouple to 31 feet yesterday for a client where we will be using it on Monday. Its accurate to within 1*.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

The question is regarding the VDO set. This answer is ONLY for the VDO set.

you can use any quality wire you want as long as you don't change the wire from the plug in connector to the plug ring. That wire is the sender wire, and contains the junction. The long wire (signal wire) under the bus is only a carrier of the signal voltage so as long as the length and quality of that voltage signal is not degraded the gauge will work fine. VDO says the same thing in their publications. You can change the signal wire but not touch the sender wire.

Do NOT cut or extend
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok to cut or extend

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

you can use any quality wire you want as long as you don't change the wire from the plug in connector to the plug ring. That wire is the sender and contain the junction. The long wire under the bus is only a carrier of the signal voltage so as long as the length and quality of that voltage signal is not degraded the gauge will work fine. VDO says the same thing in their publications.

Do NOT cut or extend

Ok to cut or extend

Sorry....you are wrong. And you need to CAREFULLY re-read exactly what I wrote. There is not one single thing about a VDO CHT gauge Thermocouple .....that is even remotely unique in any way.

Its a simple K type TC...that VDO was too cheap or stupid to make longer to start with. Thats because TC wire is not cheap.

No....you cannot extend it....with just plain wire. But you can extend it with the same TYPE of TC wire. I extend K and T type TCs in much more stringent applications at least once a month. Probably a zillion people a week do this.

The junction itself....which you will not be screwing with because its crimped inside of the barrel of the ring terminal.....and the length of the two wires being exactly the same.....are the only critical parts. The total length does not matter to the TC. Both wires just have to be the same length whether its 15' or 100'.

And there is NOTHING critical about the connections in the two pin plug. Just find the same connectors and snip the ends off.....evenly.....and connect them up to the extension wire and put the new terminals back in the plug and plug it in

VDO has the common answer that "no you cannot extend it" because they do not want to have to deal with stupid people who cannot understand how a TC works and that you need special wire....that they do not sell.

Its not a big deal. Just use the right wire...and keep the wires equal length and use clean, solid crimps.

In very short TCs you can extend with plain equal length silver wire. But there will be a percentage of error and the gauge may have an issue boosting it to read correctly..

The other issue with accuracy....is that your advice to extend on the unshielded side with copper wire....is also incorrect.

ALL....repeat...ALL thermocouple extensions should be extended using at worst....SLE rated thermocouple extension wire (special limits of error).....which has some issue with slight error reading if its going through colder climate on the way to the gauge.....and at best...regular thermocouple wire....which has no error issue because it reads at the T junction....not from the wire.

And....you need to use the same exact wire gauge.

Of course you can do it the way you explained with plain copper wire (ugh)....but you will have an error that can be +/-5% or more.

Also....NEVER solder wires in an application like this....or for that matter anywhere in your VW. The T junction is not soldered its "welded". Crimps are VASTLY superior to solder in any application except connecting wires or components to rigid board.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

If you don't use thermocouple wire to make the extension then where in the rig the splice is made become important. If you make the connection in the hot engine compartment that will give different results than if you make the connection in the cab or underneath somewhere. If the gauge itself isn't compensated then it become less important where you make the connection as the gauge isn't going to be super accurate anyway. Ideally you would want the splice to be at the same temperature as the gauge.

As Ray says using Type K thermocouple wire is best. Not sure that the wires being the same length is important at all though.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
SGKent wrote:

you can use any quality wire you want as long as you don't change the wire from the plug in connector to the plug ring. That wire is the sender and contain the junction. The long wire under the bus is only a carrier of the signal voltage so as long as the length and quality of that voltage signal is not degraded the gauge will work fine. VDO says the same thing in their publications.

Do NOT cut or extend

Ok to cut or extend

Sorry....you are wrong. And you need to CAREFULLY re-read exactly what I wrote. There is not one single thing about a VDO CHT gauge Thermocouple .....that is even remotely unique in any way.

Its a simple K type TC...that VDO was too cheap or stupid to make longer to start with. Thats because TC wire is not cheap.

Ray

Ray,

That looks like Type J wire - Red and White.

SGKent,

The correct wire is about $1.50 a foot depending on insulation type. I would use mini or micro TC connectors (about $4 each) to keep the connections constant. When we do our TC install in the lab we try to keep the number of plugs in a single run to 3 to maintain accuracy, some of our sign off data goes to the Feds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:

That looks like Type J wire - Red and White.

SGKent,

The correct wire is about $1.50 a foot depending on insulation type. I would use mini or micro TC connectors (about $4 each) to keep the connections constant. When we do our TC install in the lab we try to keep the number of plugs in a single run to 3 to maintain accuracy, some of our sign off data goes to the Feds.

That wire was posted by SGKent and not the original poster. The original poster should verify which kind of wire his thermocouple requires, but as Ray said it is probably a Type K.

Using either plain wire or the wrong kind of thermocouple wire adds four more thermocouples to the system and as I mentioned above the temperatures where these extra thermocouples reside affect the accuracy of the gauge.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

I have spoken with VDO on this is the past. The junction is in the shielded wire. They call that the SENDER WIRE. They call the colored wires the SIGNAL WIRE. You can extend or shorten the SIGNAL WIRE. Those of you who say otherwise must know more than VDO engineers know.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I have spoken with VDO on this is the past. The junction is in the shielded wire. They call that the SENDER WIRE. They call the colored wires the SIGNAL WIRE. You can extend or shorten the SIGNAL WIRE. Those of you who say otherwise must know more than VDO engineers know.

What I know is that I am not wrong. Not sure what you asked and understood from the VDO people but every junction in the system is a thermocouple, if the wires being joined are the same then the voltage across the junction is nil, while if the wires are not the same there will be a temperature dependent voltage across the junction.

If you do not use the correct thermocouple wire for you sender and gauge then you are adding another inaccuracy into the system. Even with the correct matching wire pairs they have to be hooked up correctly or you will get major inaccuracies.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

What I know is that I am not wrong. Not sure what you asked and understood from the VDO people but every junction in the system is a thermocouple, if the wires being joined are the same then the voltage across the junction is nil, while if the wires are not the same there will be a temperature dependent voltage across the junction.

If you do not use the correct thermocouple wire for you sender and gauge then you are adding another inaccuracy into the system. Even with the correct matching wire pairs they have to be hooked up correctly or you will get major inaccuracies.

Mike, Richard Atwell also contacted VDO. You can't do anything between the sending ring and plug where TRef is. From the other half of the plug to the gauge you can extend the colored wires if you have to but again, not the shielded ones between the ring and plug unless the whole ring and wire is replaced with the correct kind as a unit. The voltage used to drive the gauge is generated between the ring and plug. Richard even mentions this in some detail on his page - going thru where the hot and cold junctions are. In fact he even has an error table on his page based on engine compartment ambient temperatures vs cylinder head. Again - this is as to VDO analog only. I don't know what Dakota uses because I have never worked on one. VDO is fine for trending. That is all I use mine for. Not to be mean but really tired of Ray's constant harping, Ray is wrong. If he owned a bay he would know by now he would have to extend that signal wire to make it fit unless VDO increased the amount of wire they give you in the kit. The VDO signal wires are 12' in most kits and occasionally one can find the older 16' ones for a bus. Unfortunately to do the job right one needs about 17' to 18' so the copper signal wire has to be extended if someone wants to use it. Or put it in the back and let the passengers call out the head temps.... Smile

here is a Wikipedia image of the device. Tref is where the voltage is measured for the gauge, Tsense is where the heat is at the plug. Tmeter where the V (voltage) generated at Tred is being measured. The copper wires just carry the Tref reference voltage. As long as it is not degraded by some 100' run the meter will be fine. The colored wires act as an extension of the GAUGE wiring and not the sender wiring.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

The temperature reference shown would be something like an ice bath (constant 32.0°F) which I nor anyone I know drives around with in their vans. As I said when you add an extension made for anything but wire matched to your thermocouple you are adding four more thermocouples to the system and thus adding inaccuracies.

If you had a compensated gauge and did add an ice bath and use copper wire instead of thermocouple wire as you show you would have to add (or maybe subtract) the difference in the physical temperature of the gauge minus 32°F (Tg-Tr) from the reading of the gauge, thus making it pretty pointless to have a compensated gauge to begin with.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

The temperature reference shown would be something like an ice bath (constant 32.0°F) which I nor anyone I know drives around with in their vans. As I said when you add an extension made for anything but wire matched to your thermocouple you are adding four more thermocouples to the system and thus adding inaccuracies.

If you had a compensated gauge and did add an ice bath and use copper wire instead of thermocouple wire as you show you would have to add (or maybe subtract) the difference in the physical temperature of the gauge minus 32°F (Tg-Tr) from the reading of the gauge, thus making it pretty pointless to have a compensated gauge to begin with.

The wire in the thermo-couple is the only place that the hot and cold junctions matter. If the manufacturer calibrated the gauge for thermo-couple wire running all the way to the gauge then I would answer different but VDO chose to place the cold junction in the engine bay and not incur the cost of a 20' sender wire. For another opinion please see: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VDOGauges.html#cht He spoke with VDO engineers too. So did I because their instructions are a little ass backwards and confusing as to extending the signal wire. In addition the factory had the wires backwards on some production runs, and one has to reverse them for the gauge to work.

The CHT senders consist of a K-type thermocouple that is placed under the spark plug. The thermocouple itself is a pair of two dissimilar metals in the form of wires that produce a mV signal when heated. The junction near the spark plug is called the hot junction and the other end is called the cold junction. The ring under the spark plug is a simple ring terminal and the metal that it is made from doesn't affect the thermocouple according to Seebeck's law of thermocouples: it merely exists to transfer the heat from the plug to the thermocouple.

RAtwell:
Quote:
The voltage produced in the thermocouple is based on the temperature of the hot junction near the ring terminal relative to the temperature of the cold junction at the end of the connector that leads to the CHT gauge. The gauge and cold junction are usually calibrated around 72F. What matters is not what length of gauge of wire is used between the thermocouple and the gauge or which cylinder the ring terminal should be under (although #3 is ideal) or where the thermocouple should be located (although under the spark plug is the only correct location for VWs) but what temperature the engine compartment is at.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

If you put the cold junction in the engine bay then as Ratwell says you have to compensate for the difference in the temperature of the engine bay, as you have added two more thermocouples in the engine bay, you may also still need to compensate for the two additional thermocouples at the gauge. Essentially your reference temperature is a variable, which varies from ambient to many degrees above ambient throwing your reading way way off. With a compensated gauge the effects will be even more unpredictable, as the dissimilar types of wires at the gauge will create additional voltages there that throw the accuracy of the gauge off.

It is not desirable to use copper wire for either a compensated or non compensated gauge, but I guess if you always carry an ice chest with you you could just use thermocouple wire as far as the ice chest and then copper wire from there forward, but only with a non compensated gauge, with a compensated gauge ALWAYS use thermocouple wire the entire distance between the sender and the gauge.

Since you like to quote Ratwell consider what else he said:

Quote:
This is the nature of thermocouples and in this form they are basically unsuitable for automotive applications

so don't make it any worse than it has to be. Also I do not agree that the best place to read an ACVW CHT is under the spark plug, that location is probably the most problematic of the common locations to use, it just happens to be the easiest so people use it. As i have said before a sender under the spark plug reads spark plug temperature as much or more than head temperature.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

Popcorn Where's Ray? im just settling down to watch another SGK - Wildthing - Ray show, this shits better than the discovery channel Very Happy
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

Westfalia73 wrote:
Popcorn Where's Ray? im just settling down to watch another SGK - Wildthing - Ray show, this shits better than the discovery channel Very Happy

LOL! Where’s that “popcorn” emoticon when you need it?

I was all ready to pipe up, all “you can just buy a longer wire from VDO!!”,
But,
It’s more fun to watch the fur fly..

Like the Discovery Channel;
Remember American Chopper?
It was all about the Tuttle family fights,
All about Junior fighting the old man,
Then zooming in for a close up on the tears.

The ‘theme bikes’ they did were totally stupid,
But,
It wasn’t about building bikes.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

did I miss a bru ha ha? That is so unlike me. Smile must be getting old. Should have realized that when Clatter Smile beat me into the ground and mopped his garage with me last month. Every blow on that suspension he rebuilt he was heard to mumble - I'll get SOB SGKent … Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cylinder head temp wire Baywindow Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Westfalia73 wrote:

LOL! Where’s that “popcorn” emoticon when you need it?

Like the Discovery Channel;
Remember American Chopper?
It was all about the Tuttle family fights,
All about Junior fighting the old man,
Then zooming in for a close up on the tears.

Watching three people with experience go at it doesn't make for good TV, because they can all build engines. It's when you get three emotional dudes together who interview better than they build that TV gets made…

Hey Colin, I talked to that dude on Velocity channel……………
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: