Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb leaking Gas..
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Carb leaking Gas.. Reply with quote

So long story short, my 30 pict 1 carb was leaking gas, throttle bushings I thought. Had a rebuild done, they said bushings were changed, carb looked beautiful when I got it back. All mounted up, still have a few drops of gas that appear under accelerator cable AFTER shut off. Only time it happens. I will call the company back that did the rebuild. But need advice on where else it could be leaking from. Tks! Sean

‘67 beetle for reference
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb leaking Gas.. Reply with quote

Well if there is a problem with the gas boiling in the carb after shutdown the bushing may not fix that. But yeah, you would think it would not leak that much. Check fuel pressure on a cheap vac gauge that will also measure 3 psi pressure. Could be a fuel pump problem. Pressure should stay around 2.5 PSI. Also if you haven't checked the carbs gas float level and the needle valve operation for not leaking through, do that. Probably just install a new needle valve, Could be the float it's self is gas logged.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Carb leaking Gas.. Reply with quote

A drip there is indication fuel is still flowing, make sure float is not leaky, completely submerge float in pot of hot water, just below boiling point. if bubbles emit from float, it is shot, even if it still floats. dont test in cold water, must be hot.

check float bowl level with a good leak free float, adjust as needed.

also please see link below on engine fires and safety wires. all Bugs need this addressed.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb leaking Gas.. Reply with quote

I was thinking float stuck or not sealing right .
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb leaking Gas.. Reply with quote

Tks for the responses! I will investigate all.
Sean
lowN2slo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Carb leaking Gas.. Reply with quote

Float was replaced with new, everything new inside carb.. where do I go from here? Take carb back?
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Carb leaking Gas.. Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Well if there is a problem with the gas boiling in the carb after shutdown the bushing may not fix that. But yeah, you would think it would not leak that much. Check fuel pressure on a cheap vac gauge that will also measure 3 psi pressure. Could be a fuel pump problem. Pressure should stay around 2.5 PSI. Also if you haven't checked the carbs gas float level and the needle valve operation for not leaking through, do that. Probably just install a new needle valve, Could be the float it's self is gas logged.

How to cure a boiling carburator ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: