Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes make no sense
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Trying to figure out what is going on with my brakes.They are five wide drum brakes.When the vehicle is setting still brakes fill good nice hard pedal start down the road applie the brakes they are mushy.Pull it back in the garage play with the star adjusters get nice drag on the wheel nice pedal go back out on the road it’s mushy.Have bleed them a number of times no air.

HELP
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Your brake booster is leaking Laughing

That is a strange problem. Nothing should change, moving or not with manual brakes..

Is the emergency/parking brake applied when you're parked, and have a good pedal?
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Is the emergency/parking brake applied when you're parked, and have a good pedal?

That's what I was ready to ask.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Do you know what year the brake set up is ? > 65 up had angled adjusting screws and maybe yours are installed wrong giving you a false impression they are tight?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Do you know what year the brake set up is ? > 65 up had angled adjusting screws and maybe yours are installed wrong giving you a false impression they are tight?

You can't get the drum on if the angle is backwards. Ask me how I know Embarassed
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Lot's of misinformed owners have gotten the drum back on with backward adjusters. Ask me, I know Wink after 50 years you still see stuff Laughing

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Not sure what year and no the emergency brake was not applied.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

The same is true of the backing plates.
backing plates from early cars that used the narrow slot adjuster AND cylinders, they NEED the narrow slot to locate the shoes, as the backing plates do not have the support pads that later models do.

Since new wheel cylinders are not available with the narrow slots, what I do is put a small mig weld on each side of the shoe where it goes in the slot, and make the shoe fit the wide slot.

The last one or two years of link pin bugs, the backing plates did have the support areas, but those aren't easy to find.
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

I will add this all drums went on easy did not have to force them.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Lot's of misinformed owners have gotten the drum back on with backward adjusters. Ask me, I know Wink after 50 years you still see stuff Laughing

Actually, I don't doubt this at all. Many PO's have "made stuff fit" on cars I've bought. Sometimes amazingly so.

OP:

Huh. IDK then. You got me stumped to. Moving or not they should be the same.

Are these new brake pads? Could the pads just be centering themselves? It will take a few stops to help get the pads to center themselves. Star adjustments might be required if they move a lot.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Any play in the wheel bearings?

Drums out of round?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

You can't get the drum on if the angle is backwards. Ask me how I know Embarassed

Yes you can.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Booky wrote:
Trying to figure out what is going on with my brakes.They are five wide drum brakes.When the vehicle is setting still brakes fill good nice hard pedal start down the road applie the brakes they are mushy.Pull it back in the garage play with the star adjusters get nice drag on the wheel nice pedal go back out on the road it’s mushy.Have bleed them a number of times no air.

HELP

Help me, so that I can help you.

How old is the master cylinder?

How old are the wheel cylinders?

How old are the rubber brake hoses?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

When its stopped do you have the E-brake on ?
If so you are mostly pumping brake fluid to the front brakes with the pedal. So it feels firm.
When you release the E-brake the rear brakes have to travel as well so the amount you move the pedal has to increase as the volume of fluid you need to get the same pressure increases.

Make sure you free off the E-brake adjustment before adjusting the rear brakes, then do the E-brake adjustment.

You can tell if this is the problem by checking the feel of brakes with and without E-brake applied.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

Yes you can.....

Dale

Well the drum sure didn't fit when I accidentally set the slots up the wrong way a few months ago when redoing my rears.
wahlers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

If it were me, I’d focus on the master cylinder. My car had the same symptoms last year. Brakes felt good at a stop but sometimes after driving a while I’d apply the brakes and I’d have to pump them to get good pedal feel.
One day cruising along, came to an intersection, applied brakes and nothing! Luckily nobody was going the other way.
Turns out the master was bad. Replaced master and fluid and bled the lines and haven’t had a problem since.
If everything else is adjusted properly I’d start there. If it
Pulls one way or the other, I’d focus on the wheel cylinders. If it’s just a general softness, start at the master. Good luck!
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

Everything is brand new all the brake components are brand new.If just move the car out of the garage the brakes are mushy to come to a stop.If the screw in the star adjuster is back wards which way should it go?
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

E brake is not on I have it loss at the e brake handle.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

like this

If you don't know what year it is, how did you order the parts Question

post a pic with the drum off.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes make no sense Reply with quote

What is the diameter of the drums? If the drums have been machined the arch in the shoe will not match the drums and flex as you apply them untill they wear to the same arch of the drum. Back in the day, you used to bring your new brake shoes with the drums so the shoes could be re-arched to match the drums. They no longer do this as the sanding of the shoes blew asbestos everywhere.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: