Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waso or toilet bowl ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Hi to all.

I would like to know from you guys which is the best or as per the year or recommended or what ever for my Oval 57.

Find the pictures. Many thanks !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or

*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Do you have any identification on the first one? It looks like the one in this thread, https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391354&highlight=shift+lock

waso, yes that's oval era. It'll do the job.
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Yep. The first one is like theone on the link.
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Waso is correct for an oval. The other lock you have shown is from 1961 onwards......and is not a toilet bowl lock.
This is a toilet bowl lock.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Great ! Many thanks dear !
Grot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

[quote="IN2VWS"]Waso is correct for an oval. The other lock you have shown is from 1961 onwards......and is not a toilet bowl lock.

And John, is there not a slightly different model for early cabrios, or early ovals and splits?
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Yes, there is a few versions of the toilet bowl locks.
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Really could be either. While the Waso type would be correct for the year of purchase. Do keep in mind that an owner having paid off the VW years later could and sometimes would buy with the next month or several months of suddenly extra money the accessories he or she always desired.

Additionally the dealer would take an older VW to sell as a used car, and often would spruce up the interior with new interior panels, replacement carpet pieces, seat upholstery, or seat covers. To sweeten the deal installing popular accessories like a radio and/or other items was a great sales ploy. After all if a prospective buyer of a VW could not afford a new one, they could be persuaded with a used one with extra goodies to boot, for a fraction of the new VW price.

EG we have a 1961 all transistor radio installation instructions for oval window....
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Many thanks for the clarification!
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Hi.

I installed an NOS Waso a couple of months ago in my Polar Silver ‘57. With a bit of fiddling i got it installed and working very nicely. Although i did have to trim my rubber mat to get it to seat properly on the tunnel. I also replaced the rear shift bushing. I have to say, the car has never shifted so precisely since I have owned it. Lot of fun to shift now. Of course the donut bushing was pretty spongy, likely the original.

Rob
bustariel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Waso or toilet bowl ? Reply with quote

Many thanks Rob, Your feedback is really appreciated

Regards !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: