Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lock or unlock Convertible VW's?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaupu714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

What to do lock or unlock your Convertible. I never keep anything inside my Convertible bug even my glove compartment is empty because i put my registration and insurance under hood.

Any opinions im currently leaving doors unlocked with windows up , so nobody will cut the nice new vinyl top i recently had installed.

Thanks Mark
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible vw's ????? Reply with quote

Oh boy, HB is a far cry from sinless love thy neighbor Boise.
But I always park my convertibles (and ragtop beetle) with windows partially down to make it easy for the one percenters. Let's face it, thieves represent the dumbest faction of society (apart from those who don't know what protection is)- so leaving the doors unlocked is not enough in my experience.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible vw's ????? Reply with quote

If you are really lucky, they (the effen dirtbag) will shoot out your window from across the street with a bb gun first to gain access, and see if it sounds an alarm, or draws unwanted attention. My car was unlocked when this happened.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible vw's ????? Reply with quote

If it’s not raining I don’t even roll the windows up in my ‘66. If someone is going to steal something I’d rather them do it without adding a window replacement to the situation.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible vw's ????? Reply with quote

I told my mom to leave the doors unlocked on a cabrio that I gave her to keep the thieves from cutting the top, the retarded thief cut the top before trying to open the door.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

I used to leave my MG with the windows down, top not latched, sometimes top down, but then the car was a POS with nothing in it that anyone wanted...

Friend with a VW vert kept it in the garage at home, and left the windows open when out and about.

Had a Tercel for a summer, left it unlocked all the time and sure enough, had to replace a window after leaving some change visible in the console. Effing crackheads.

After the Tercel incident, I always left the Benz unlocked, nothing in the car and wires from stereo purposely hanging down out of mounting hole. The coupes had different sized glass than the 4 door 300D and I really wanted to avoid having to replace any of it.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

... never locked anything and never-ever, ever, had any problems... people are very respectful, is my experience.
Neither of these even had a top and no one EVER bothered anything - 1955 Messerschmitt and 1976 Mercedes 300D

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... never locked anything and never-ever, ever, had any problems... people are very respectful, is my experience.
Neither of these even had a top and no one EVER bothered anything - 1955 Messerschmitt and 1976 Mercedes 300D

What happen to the roof of the 300D?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

I never lock my 78 and often the top is down, but I live in a respectful area. Nothing inside to steal unless they want some small change.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

in the 80s I never used to lock my cars (oval, '67, 181/thing) as they were not 'desirable' to thieves and I didn't want to repair windows. but these days there is a malicious vandal type around who just like to scratch paint or stove in a screen for fun. a whole line of cars can be done at a time if the trend hits and not in rough areas either...
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

Unlocked and in the summer the top down and side curtains off!

I learned this lesson within a few months of owning a convertible-anything you leave visible may be stolen (this includes the bolted down fire extinguisher or Mexican blanket in the back). If you can't live without it don't leave it in the car!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

What happen to the roof of the 300D?

was on CL for $700. Belonged to an attorney and in a drunkin' episode, he cut the roof off to make a 300D vert. He sent it to a Mercedes dealer, before I took ppossession to fix everything (except the roof Smile. Most people loved it.
Drove it occasionally for 2 years and put it on CL for $1400 and it sold in 1 day... had 73,000 original miles ( 1976) and interior was like-new... had my fun.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
in the 80s I never used to lock my cars (oval, '67, 181/thing) as they were not 'desirable' to thieves and I didn't want to repair windows. but these days there is a malicious vandal type around who just like to scratch paint or stove in a screen for fun. a whole line of cars can be done at a time if the trend hits and not in rough areas either...

... never lived anywhere, like that - guess if it started 'round here, i'd let it get scratched and call it patina... or just not have a prize-winner.
Would thy bother this? i'd put a sign in the window - scratches wanted -

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

My brother had his headliner slit on his bug, and his glasses broken (they were in the glove compartment). He figures they were looking for junk to steal to sell for drugs, broke his window to get in, and then vandalized it in anger at not finding anything of value. Nice people. Ever since then he didn't lock the car.

Leaving it open has a psychological deterrent. It implies you will be right back and therefore didn't bother locking it. That makes their plans to search/vandalize it more risky to them.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
My brother had his headliner slit on his bug, and his glasses broken (they were in the glove compartment). He figures they were looking for junk to steal to sell for drugs, broke his window to get in, and then vandalized it in anger at not finding anything of value. Nice people. Ever since then he didn't lock the car.

Leaving it open has a psychological deterrent. It implies you will be right back and therefore didn't bother locking it. That makes their plans to search/vandalize it more risky to them.

Wink Bingo

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
kurt912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

Go a step further and put a little sticker on the door glass that reads "it's unlocked, nobody's watching you."
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

For 5 years, I didn't even have door handles. Not a problem.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lock or unlock Convertible VW's? Reply with quote

Where we used to live was an older neighborhood and if the car was not locked you would find the contents scattered all down the street in the morning guaranteed! One Sunday morning we were dressed up in our best ready to go and found someone had emptied a fire extinguisher inside our Audi Fox and thrown the empty in leaving the door open. What a mess!

Now we live in a remote country area with police an hour and a half away so all our vehicles stay unlocked with the keys in the ignition. I have no desire to have some loser high on drugs stumbling around in the house in the middle night looking for keys. Take the bloody car and go!

As for locking our convertible? I do admit to being a bit nervous when we have it in the big city but it does have a 4 speed anti-theft stick and a secret fuel pump switch!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: