Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a pair of Italian 36 IDFs on a type 1 motor. 2 of the idle mixture screws are not responding.

The motor is running on all 4 cylinders, so I'm guessing that the idle circuits are not blocked, rather that the seats that the idle mixture screws should close on are worn, and are letting fuel through even when the screws are wound all the way in.

Is there a fix for this or have the carbs had it?

I was wondering whether, if I were to machine up some slightly longer screws, they may account for the, I assume, now slightly deeper seats....?

Cheers

P.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

my first guess is that the throttle plates are open too far
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Not sure how one wears out a needle seat when there are nothing touching them most of the time, doube seriously they are eroded by fuel flow....

I have to go among with previous poster and believe improper idle speed screw adjustment, and you are on the mains...

At what RPM are you idling engine at....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Idle speed is set at about 900 rpm (45 Idle jets)

The thing is that one barrel on each side is fine...one is not.

I was just wondering either some previous owner may have been too heavy handed and tried to screwed them too far or maybe screwed the wrong screw in, resulting in some damage, which now means that they no longer stop the fuel flow when they are now fully screwed in.

I should say that I also tried swapping the screws from a working barrel to an unresponsive one, with no change, indicating the problem is not a worn screw, but the carb body itself.

TBH, I'm just exploring possibilities at this point, as I'm out and about enjoying the camper Smile

P.
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

So let me get this straight...I'm on a learning curve here... Wink

I have a matched pair if 36IDFs fitted with a set of 4, 45 Idle jets
The motor idles at about 900rpm and both carbs are balanced.
The motor sounds as if it is running on all 4 cylinders, and all for exhaust headers are hot.
Cylinders 2 & 3 respond to adjustments to their corresponding idle mixture screws.
Cylinders 1 & 4 don't respond to adjustments to the idle mixture screws at all.
Swapping the idle mixture screws over from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 does not have any effect.

My assumption, based on what I've been able to read, is that the Idle Mixture screws are effectively a valve. As you screw them in, they cut off the flow of the fuel, and as you screw them out, the flow increases...the pointy end on the screw giving a gradual increase in flow, as the screw is wound out.

The behaviour I observe...the cylinder running regardless of the position of the screw, suggests (to me) that there is fuel flowing past the screw, even when the screw is fully in....?

Now, as I understand the operation of carb, as the butterfly opens, the progression holes are exposed and when this happens the idle mixture screw is effectively bypassed. As such, it could be the case here that the throttle shafts on both carbs are bent, such that one barrel of each carb is exposing the progression holes early....? (I should say that I don't recall them being bent or the butterflies opening out of sync, but I concede the possibility.)

Could fuel flow out of the progression holes before the butterfly opens past them? If the idle circuit is blocked between the progression holes and the idle mixture screw, would the cylinder idle even if the progression holes are above the butterfly?

Are there any other possibilities...?

P.
laker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

wizrod wrote:

I was just wondering either some previous owner may have been too heavy handed and tried to screwed them too far or maybe screwed the wrong screw in, resulting in some damage, which now means that they no longer stop the fuel flow when they are now fully screwed in.

I should say that I also tried swapping the screws from a working barrel to an unresponsive one, with no change, indicating the problem is not a worn screw, but the carb body itself.

TBH, I'm just exploring possibilities at this point, as I'm out and about enjoying the camper Smile

P.

what happens when you cover each velocity stack (one at a time) with your hand?...does each barrel stumbles about the same or the ones that the mixture screws issues hardly stumble?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Thanks Laker,

I won't get a chance to dig deeper than thinking about this until I get home at the weekend.

Will post on Sunday evening / Monday.

Cheers

P.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Spring bind keeping idle mixture screws for seating?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Spring bind keeping idle mixture screws for seating?

Dale

Yup...that is another thing on my list to check....though that might suggest different springs on different screws, which I don't recall from when I cleanex/rebuilt last...

Thx.

P.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

wizrod wrote:

My assumption, based on what I've been able to read.

Don't read, or "assume". Look at the carburetors and figure it out.

I assume your screws are fine, and your carbs were modified by alfa1750, and the problem is your transfer pants are hanging too low so we can see your undies.
But, sometimes what I assume is wrong, so, don't listen to anything I say just take them off and LOOK and MEASURE and figure it out.
Or ask whoever set up the carbs, if that wasn't you, because they might know.
And IS there a problem? I mean, you didn't say there was.
If it's idling great then I don't really care where the adjustment screws are.
Two being closed is ODD, but so what? I'm odd, I work. Don't fix what isn't broke.

When you don't have enough adjustment to make it idle right, then that is a actual problem. And, yeah I'd put that on the list of things to fix someday, or maybe even right now, but only if it was really bad, or you need to pass an emissions test tomorrow.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Do you have a snail? How does the airflow compare between all 4?
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

laker wrote:
wizrod wrote:

P.

what happens when you cover each velocity stack (one at a time) with your hand?...does each barrel stumbles about the same or the ones that the mixture screws issues hardly stumble?
sorry for the hijack but my #1 doesnt change when i block the throat, what causes this? Vac Leak? Idle jets are clean. Thanx.

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Just wondering if by chance you are running a dual cannon exhaust? They can cause mixture imbalances at idle.

It was 1 and 3 on my engine so probably not.
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

So...small update...
First off, the the exhaust is SS 4 to 1 header & single quietpack.

Ok. I'm back from my trip and have removed 1 of the carbs for inspection & cleaning. The 1st obvious issue is that the springs on the idle mixture screws...one has 5 coils, which I think is correct and the other (non responsive) screw's spring has 6 coils, so Dale may have called it correctly. I'll order up a new spring.

However, a slight fly in the ointment is that both idle mixture screw springs on the other side have the correct (?) 5 coils.

That all said...neither springs allow the screws to fully seat before they bind up.

Re: the other points, yes I have a snail meter and yes, both sides were flowing the same, at least as accurately as you can tell with a snail meter. I didn't check all 4...I will do when they go back on.

Its getting late now in the UK, so I'll postpone re-fitting the carb (And removing/cleaning the other) until tomorrow...

Cheers.

P.
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Been doing a little more research...

It seems that IDF idle mixture screw springs & idle speed screw springs are very similar in overall size, but the latter seems to be made of slightly thicker wire. As such, they would be slightly longer when fully compressed. I wonder if a PO has mistaken one for the other, resulting in the springs now binding up before the screws seat when screwed in...?

Also, I have also discovered that there are 2 types of IDF idle mixture screw - a long version designed to use a spring (plus an o-ring & washer) to stop them vibrating loose - and a short version that just uses an o-ring. Are these interchangeable?

Anyway, I got home yesterday and removed the RHS carb and gave it 30mins in a hot ultrasonic bath, followed by a good blow through with compressed air. I'll remount it this evening, get it re-balanced & see if I can get both the idle mixture screw to react (following the guidelines on the Redline Weber site)....

cheers

P.
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

The short o ring style mixture screw is for the old italian webers
(Roller style accell pump)

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

hobbybob517 wrote:
The short o ring style mixture screw is for the old italian webers
(Roller style accell pump)

Yup. Now I'm back home, I see that. TY Smile

P.
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Ok...progress, of a sort.

The cleaned carb is back on so I thought I'd see if it had made a difference, before removing and cleaning the other.

Well...initially, no...none of the idle mixture screws did anything...screwed in or 4-5 turns out, no difference.

So given that I'd seen that the springs were binding, I removed all the springs, washers and o-ring and re-fitted the screws bare.

This time much better. 3 of the 4 screws react strongly. In each of the 3, the motor struggles noticeably w/o the the screw fully closed, and an each case the motor picks up when opened a 6th of a turn. 2 screws then continue to increase the revs when opened further, for maybe a full turn.

1 screw did nothing. The odd thing was this screw was working last week...and it is in the side that was cleaned. I also swapped the screws front to back, to eliminate the possibility that the problem was the screw itself...no effect.

I also checked the airflow on all 4 barrels. Both sides of the uncleaned carb read the same. The cleaned carb's barrels are out a small amount...If #1 reads 3, the #2 is a little over 2.

So....I think I'll both order a set of new springs for the idle mixture screws and grind a little off the existing screws, to see of I can get them to fully close without binding.

P.
laker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

hobbybob517 wrote:
laker wrote:
wizrod wrote:

P.

sorry for the hijack but my #1 doesnt change when i block the throat, what causes this? Vac Leak? Idle jets are clean. Thanx.

Hobby a little hijacking but not too bad....ok lets get back to basics here first.
1) do you have good compression in that hole?
2) ignition wise is good on that whole?
3 Timing set correctly?
4) no vacuum leak?
Considering all the above is correct then remove that carb and clean it completely, not just the jets but the circuits in that carb (don't cut corners, make sure dose circuits are clean)...I have had a few of dose that I had to do that...that's why I ask you to put your hand over that barrel to see if it stumbled.
This the way I do this 36 IDf's... I really like this carbs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559740&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wizrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Idle mixture on 36IDFs...Worn needle seats? Reply with quote

Hi Laker,

Compression, ignition and timing are all fine on that pot (checked them all) but I completely forgot your hand-over-the-inlet test. Will try this evening.

Also, I noted that while I started with the idle speed screws set to 1/2 a turn on both sides, they needed a bit more...maybe a turn ... to idle at all, so will need more, to idle at the correct speed....so I guess the idle jets (45s) are too small. I have a set of 50s and 55s, so I'll see how they affect things this evening, too.

Would you anticipate that larger idle jets would make the idle mixture screws more responsive? My thinking is that currently to idle the butterfly is open enough to start to expose the lowest progression holes...reducing the effectiveness of the idle mixture screw (?) . Larger idle jets will result in idling with the butterflies more closed, so the idle mixture screws will be more 'in the game', so maybe more responsive. By that I mean that they would not be largely unresponsive beyond a 1/6th turn...?

This is of course speculation....I'll find out this evening Smile

P.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: