Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor pan replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to do the pans on my wife's Thing. My plan is to do it body on. How hard is it to access the area under the rear seat for removal, and then for welding the new pans in?
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
car barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too hard. You just need to remove the hooks and springs that support the rear cushion. Once you do that, access to that area is much better. The only thing that kind of gets in the way is the support rail. When I was dry fitting the pans to see how they fit, I always brought them up from underneath instead of from the top.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have more pics posted anywhere. Is there a link to them? I pretty much need to do exactly what you did. Inner rockers, and floors.

How many of the pan bolts broke off inside the rocker on you?
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
car barn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's all the pictures I've taken of my build so far.
I'll add more as I progress. Hope they can help.
I'll try to answer any questions the best I can if anyone runs into trouble.
Good luck!
https://picasaweb.google.com/109964543091281180604/1973VWThing#
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Hi, know it is 5 years later, but it still relevant and after searching TheSamba for this very repair I found it. Purchased this '74 last month, needs pans and rockers. Hope to get the Thing Shop complete pans $$$$, car came with donor rockers. All heavy work is on hold until next year when it warms up because I have to work outside.

Thanks for posting and sharing.
Good Job.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Just finished installing new floors. Looks like one side of those rockers is only half, also would blast them first and make sure there is no rust.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Did you replace the pans with the body on or off? You are correct, the donor rockers only go from the middle of the rear door forward, was hoping to just patch and not replaced complete inner/outer rocker. Also I have to repair a rust hole in the bottom panel on the frame head, again probably just weld a patch and not the whole panel.

Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

EDragnDean...looked at your pan replacement thread. you imply that you removed attaching bolts and separated the body from the pan and lifted it 3 tire/rim widths high. I assume both at the front and back? Then bolted pans to body and lowered to chassis. Did you lift each end yourself? Also did you have to trim the pans and how did you dress/clean the tunnel?

I should probably create back to life / not resto thread for my '74.

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
EDragnDean...looked at your pan replacement thread. you imply that you removed attaching bolts and separated the body from the pan and lifted it 3 tire/rim widths high. I assume both at the front and back? Then bolted pans to body and lowered to chassis. Did you lift each end yourself? Also did you have to trim the pans and how did you dress/clean the tunnel?

you need to check out our Thing website I think you will find everything that you need for replacing your floor pans and many more items . http://kubeltreffen181.com
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Thanks, I have, you and your brother do awesome work. I don't have a garage, hoist, or a couple of engine stands, but I do have flat place to work, HF welder (did ok replacing bus corner & battery tray), and 4 jack stands. I do have the Bug Me Video, I think I'll only lift body less than a foot, bolt to rocker and lower to weld. After that I'll attempt to patch the rockers with the metal I that came with the car. I'm a Boomer too, so this retirement project is on hold until the spring,so until then I'll read, research, order parts and drill out 1/2 dozen snapped bolts, before I got my impact driver.

This place is great...........

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
Thanks, I have, you and your brother do awesome work. I don't have a garage, hoist, or a couple of engine stands, but I do have flat place to work, HF welder (did ok replacing bus corner & battery tray), and 4 jack stands. I do have the Bug Me Video, I think I'll only lift body less than a foot, bolt to rocker and lower to weld. After that I'll attempt to patch the rockers with the metal I that came with the car. I'm a Boomer too, so this retirement project is on hold until the spring,so until then I'll read, research, order parts and drill out 1/2 dozen snapped bolts, before I got my impact driver. I hope our website helps

This place is great...........
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:

I happened to have 6 rims and tires. I used a floor jack I needed to get more height so I placed the jack on top of a rim. Three tires/rims for the front and the same for the back. Used jack stands to maintain stability.

Yes, they need to be trimmed. Metal cut off wheel on my grinder, lots of measuring.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

I saw a Utube video for a Gia pan replacement that he unbolted the body but did not remove it. He cut out the pan. He slid the new pan in from the bottom then put a couple of bolts in for placement then welded in along the tunnel. Can this also be done with the Thing pans? I really do not want to remove the body for fear of opening a real can of worms with that. The car is very solid but the PO had riveted in metal sections on the floor so I am replacing with full pans. If that can't be done then I will just cut out the inside and weld to a flange left. I will just cut out the jack lift points on the new pans to fit them. Any suggestions ?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

The Thing has floor supports that run from the frame head and welds to the pan halves. It is very hard to bring the pans in from the bottom. Still need to unbolt the body to slide the pans in from the side.
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan replacement Reply with quote

so if I unbolt 1 side at a time I can raise the side enough to slide the pan in? That was what I was hoping for. My only problem would be snapping the bolts that hold the frame to the body. My pan kit came with new ones but will be a royal pain if the bolts snap. Thanks for the reply.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: