Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Purchasing Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

mojan_n wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:
Any reason you'd prefer autostick? Most people avoid autostick cars like the plague.

It’s just easier during traffic .... I’m in Bay Area and traffic is crazy.

I daily-drove a 67 4-speed in the SJ area up to 2001 (South SJ to Foster City) and I know what it was like then. I can imagine it has only gotten worse since. I moved because of the congestion but the clutch was never an issue for me.

Before you buy something you should find and drive an autostick and see for yourself how one drives. Then ask around in your area to find out who is still in business who knows how to maintain one. Maybe talk to that person about autosticks.

Here on the samba you will get all sorts of opinions for and against. I advise forming your own by talking face to face with a local ACVW mechanic.

PS: That 72 you linked to does look nice ... and is being sold by a VW shop ... who will certainly talk to you about autosticks.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/vw72-beetle-restored/6645045599.html

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Revealing that you want to use this as a daily driver changes my reply entirely. My reply is “none of the above”. The die hards around here will disagree with me, but I think 50-60 year old anything makes a horrific daily commuter vehicle. In areas with heavy traffic, even more so. Save up some more money, buy a used Camry or the like for a commuter car, buy a sub $7k ACVW and drive it on weekends. Insurance through Hagerty is under $200/year for classic car coverage.

*My opinion is based on using this as a daily with heavy traffic. If you live in a rural area with low traffic and you have a straight shot commute, by all means, have at it. Understand these cars require a fair amount of maintenance compared to modern cars. Oil changes, valve adjustments, and tuneups every 3k miles. Clutch cable adjustments, brake adjustments, fuel line replacements, etc. And if you’re asking opinions here, I’m going to guess you don’t have the experience to do this. What would be a one day fix for a modern car might put you out of commission for a week or more in an ACVW.

Performance is sub par compared to modern cars. You are out performed, out braked and outweighed by nearly very other car on the road. No airbags, no ABS, and seats that can come undone if rear ended. While I take this risk driving my ACVWs (even worse in my DuneBuggy), I put less than 2000 miles combined on my three and rarely drive them outside of weekends or during the day when everyone else is at work. Putting one of these on the road as your main transportation, if that is the case, is unwise IMO.

/steps off soapbox.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

You are not wrong Sharp64. Every point is valid.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

X2 on Sharps advice.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
X2 on Sharps advice.

Where does it end? Red meat is bad, motorcycles are dangerous, smoking may lead to disease, paint fumes, pesticides, standing on top rung of ladder, smog etc, etc... some things you can control some you can’t. Maybe throw caution to the wind now and then. I’m so sick of hearing VWs are fragile machines, they are not. The condition and readiness of any machine is a direct reflection of the owners competence in maintaining it. Enjoy life, live a little.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
anthracitedub wrote:
X2 on Sharps advice.

Where does it end? Red meat is bad, motorcycles are dangerous, smoking may lead to disease, paint fumes, pesticides, standing on top rung of ladder, smog etc, etc... some things you can control some you can’t. Maybe throw caution to the wind now and then. I’m so sick of hearing VWs are fragile machines, they are not. The condition and readiness of any machine is a direct reflection of the owners competence in maintaining it. Enjoy life, live a little.

And I would strongly discourage anyone from smoking or depending on a motorcycle as their main mode of transportation. Both are stupid IMO. But the occasional steak, tagging your neighbors garbage can without a mask or the weekend motorcycle ride isn’t going to kill you. And TBH, I’m less concerned about the dangers of driving a 50-60 year old car than I am the general reliability. I never said they were fragile. What I said was they take more regular maintenance than a newer vehicle. I have owned my Jetta for 3 years and besides changing the oil once a year it’s needed exceedingly little maintenance. Had I been driving any of my vintage VWs, there would have been numerous maintenance issues to deal with.

As I clearly stated as well, my opinion was also based on what I am assuming is the OPs lack of knowledge and/or capability to do said basic maintenance. Now if the OP is a mechanic like you or several other members, than I retract what I have said. But I feel suggesting that someone with little to no mechanical ability buy a high maintence 50 year old car doesn’t make sense to me.

This is my opinion. Take it or leave it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-1962-bug-german-delivery/6635110381.html

This was my favourite pick of the lot as well.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Looking at more adds and pics... I don’t like the later models dash, like this one:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/vw72-beetle-restored/6645045599.html

I like dash like this one:
https://images.craigslist.org/00S0S_dbmNKY0gpOV_1200x900.jpg

From what year dash changed?
KoKane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

You should buy this one!

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-beetle/6636801811.html
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

KoKane wrote:
You should buy this one!

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-beetle/6636801811.html

Love this one... but I’m in SF area
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Revealing that you want to use this as a daily driver changes my reply entirely. My reply is “none of the above”. The die hards around here will disagree with me, but I think 50-60 year old anything makes a horrific daily commuter vehicle. In areas with heavy traffic, even more so. Save up some more money, buy a used Camry or the like for a commuter car, buy a sub $7k ACVW and drive it on weekends. Insurance through Hagerty is under $200/year for classic car coverage.

*My opinion is based on using this as a daily with heavy traffic. If you live in a rural area with low traffic and you have a straight shot commute, by all means, have at it. Understand these cars require a fair amount of maintenance compared to modern cars. Oil changes, valve adjustments, and tuneups every 3k miles. Clutch cable adjustments, brake adjustments, fuel line replacements, etc. And if you’re asking opinions here, I’m going to guess you don’t have the experience to do this. What would be a one day fix for a modern car might put you out of commission for a week or more in an ACVW.

Performance is sub par compared to modern cars. You are out performed, out braked and outweighed by nearly very other car on the road. No airbags, no ABS, and seats that can come undone if rear ended. While I take this risk driving my ACVWs (even worse in my DuneBuggy), I put less than 2000 miles combined on my three and rarely drive them outside of weekends or during the day when everyone else is at work. Putting one of these on the road as your main transportation, if that is the case, is unwise IMO.

/steps off soapbox.

Thanks for your recommendations.
Some more info about myself:

I want this car for weekends.
I have 2014 Jeep Cherokee for daily.
I own a 1971 MG midget which I restored it by mayself for past three years. So I have some mechanical knowledge about cars.plus I’m electrical engineer.
I’m selling my MG because it’s a two seat car and now we are a family of three Smile I attempted to sell my MG in past but this time I’m made my final desicion and listed it on Craigslist and eBay...
I always wanted to own a VW-beetle.
I know British cars but have no experience about VW that’s why I’m here and need your expertise.
I watched may videos online on how to buy beetles but I still think if something grabs my attention I need to share with you guys and consider your recommendations.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

mojan_n wrote:

I own a 1971 MG midget which I restored it by mayself for past three years. So I have some mechanical knowledge about cars.plus I’m electrical engineer.
I’m selling my MG because it’s a two seat car and now we are a family of three Smile I attempted to sell my MG in past but this time I’m made my final desicion and listed it on Craigslist and eBay...
I know British cars but have no experience about VW that’s why I’m here and need your expertise.
I watched may videos online on how to buy beetles but I still think if something grabs my attention I need to share with you guys and consider your recommendations.

You may want to consider a late type 3 square. Comfortable to cruise (superior to a beetle), easy to fit car seat and fits a tonne of stuff PLUS search for awhile and you may be lucky enough to find an auto (a true auto unlike the beetle).

None of the cars you have posted have really grabbed me.. don't write off cars further away automatically - sometimes buying a really good base (even if it's not close) will save you thousands in the long term in rust repair/maintenance and be worth it over the much smaller cost of transporting it.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

mojan_n wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

/steps off soapbox.

Thanks for your recommendations.
Some more info about myself:

This is why giving as much information as is reasonable initially will help you help yourself. Joining a group and instantly throwing out there that you have $15k to spend and asking opinions is going to get you answers like this. I think you've gotten plenty of feedback at this point, I wont muddy the waters anymore. Good luck.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

What you guys think about:

https://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-bug-original-paint/6632300146.html
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

For the reasons I mentioned previously, I would still prefer the '69 I pointed out earlier to this '69. But really, without driving them both, there's no way to tell. I'm just more wary of cars with mods. Start making calls and taking test drives.

Here's another '69 that looks very nice and unmolested:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1969-vw-bug-price-drop/6643718066.html

Although looking closely, the front clip shows signs of repainting - maybe evidence of an old accident or rust repair in the past.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

By the same token if they are mods the OP plans on making why not buy one already modded? Why buy another stock car only to modify it?
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

That's why seeing the cars in person and taking test drives is important, beyond just seeing if a car runs and drives. You'll never know the quality of the mods or how they affect the car, without checking it out in person. But in that case too, knowing what a good, stock car rides and handles like gives one a baseline to judge by.

If they know what they want and why, all that really needs to be checked is the quality of the work done to get it.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Seller sent me a video... the engine was shaking too much while the engine was running.... also he lowered the car which I do not like it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Once you settle on a vehicle, you really should have an aircooled knowledgeable mechanic to do a thorough pre-sale on it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mojan_n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchasing Beetle Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Today I test drove this car:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2188425

1-Engine was recently rebuilt
2- there was a little bit oil leak from engine sump, is this okay?
3- transmission was never touched, I saw oil leak as well.
4- no rust at all
5- interior needs to be restore for sure. So about $1000 for parts only.
6- some light and turn signal and horn was not working too.
7- test drive was good.

What you think for $8800?

Here is trans photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Last edited by mojan_n on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: