Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Switching to no-sealed headlights
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

Currently my bus has sealed head light units which need replacing. I would like to fit non-sealed units.

I've seen the following:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/van-wezel-1295955.html

It has the OEM part number for a bus ;74-79: 171941753A. Is there any reason that I can't fit this in my 72 bus? Does it require special fittings or can I swap it out like for like?

Thnaks!

Last edited by spacebiscuit on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

Doesn’t this say that it fits 68-79 (see “suitable cars”)?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

If it is a 7" headlight, it should fit. I have the Hella H-4's on my Bus and 911 and they were a massive improvement over the USA Sealed beams without increasing the bulb wattage.

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/spares-search.html?keyword=7+inch++h4+assembly&brandNo%5B0%5D=2

If you go above the stock wattage, you should install headlight relays to protect your Bus switches for excessive current draw.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

If it is a 7" headlight, it should fit. I have the Hella H-4's on my Bus and 911 and they were a massive improvement over the USA Sealed beams without increasing the bulb wattage.

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/spares-search.html?keyword=7+inch++h4+assembly&brandNo%5B0%5D=2

If you go above the stock wattage, you should install headlight relays to protect your Bus switches for excessive current draw.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

Am I right in saying that sealed beams are for the trash once the bulb has gone?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

spacebiscuit wrote:
Am I right in saying that sealed beams are for the trash once the bulb has gone?

Yes the sealed beam is .. sealed.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

vwheritage in the UK has lots of H4 lights for buses.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

I took a punt on the lights in my original link..... will report my findings...
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

I went to the Hella E code H4 lights years ago, great upgrade with no work involved

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

When I went to H4 lights I found the cutoff was too sharp and the lights wouldn't illuminate the road well when going over rolling hills or with changes in load. I ended up pointing the passenger side headlight higher than the driver side headlight to give a taller light pattern.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

One item of note: if the headlight units you purchase have the "citylight" feature (a small auxiliary bulb mounted in the lower portion of the main reflector), there may be fitment issues requiring either a different mounting frame or modifications to the original stock frame.

FWIW
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

I put the Vision Kit from Bus Depot on my '73.

Quite an improvement.

It seems that the only difference between at least my '73 and the Vision Kit (sold for early Vanagons) was maybe the fuse you attached the relays to or something. It was slightly different than the instructions that came with the kit but no big deal to set up.

http://www.busdepot.com/VISIONKIT1

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching to no-sealed headlights Reply with quote

Hella H4's ! My choice for 7" round headlights. And they're German ! I have them on my '70.

Idea
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: