Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia gray water storage tank?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
I am curious as to why you guys want gray water tanks in the first place though.

If you live/camp in Grizzly Bear country it's very important to not leave any type of food/smelly stuff on the ground when you go to bed. In that case you would want to containerize your grey water and either dispose of it down a drain later on or pour it into a fire pit before lighting your evening campfire.

Not only that, in many places dumping gray water on the ground is illegal. Know the laws/regulations of a place/state before you go. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
I am curious as to why you guys want gray water tanks in the first place though.

If you live/camp in Grizzly Bear country it's very important to not leave any type of food/smelly stuff on the ground when you go to bed. In that case you would want to containerize your grey water and either dispose of it down a drain later on or pour it into a fire pit before lighting your evening campfire.

As a matter of fact one of my buddies here was attacked by a grizzly outside his house a few years ago...

But I'm really not all that worried about bears in campgrounds when there are fire pits that people BBQ over in the same campground, the smell of a grill that was used to cook a burger is more to worry about that the tiniest bit of food residue mixed with a bunch of water, IMO.

In my 16 years and tens of thousands of miles of car/van camping I have yet to camp anywhere where there were any gray water containment rules. I could always throw my trash can/bucket under the drain to catch water if needed though.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is standard on all Euro-spec Westies:
http://server5.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?SES...terID=4357
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is held on by three bolts, sits right behind the drivers front mud flap, and leaves space for the jack-point. If you notice the rubber grommit on top, that fits on the stock drain pipe.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounted on my 85 westy.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia gray water storage tank? Reply with quote

My Devon conversion has totally different plumbing from a stock '84. Is it true that on a stock van there is simply no greywater tank, the sink just drains to the ground under the van? That's kind of what it sounds like reading this thread. My conversion had a tank similar to the "large bore pvc" solution here on thesamba, but uses a standard RV greywater release valve.

I always try to dump greywater at the dump station near the park/rv entrance. I hadn't even thought about bears but yeah, that would certainly attract bears.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia gray water storage tank? Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:
...Is it true that on a stock van there is simply no greywater tank, the sink just drains to the ground under the van?...

That is so.
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia gray water storage tank? Reply with quote

The gray greywater tank looks a little low for my comfort level even though my 2WD never goes off road...ranger roads, yes indeed. I like the idea that I can use the sink and not feel like I'm taking a leak on someone's sidewalk or parking lot. Here's what I came up with...apologies to anyone looking for an NLA bay window water tank..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7077571&highlight=#7077571
1978 Westy Campmobile, the"EM50 Urban Assault Vehicle" code named "The Pickle"
1973 Squareback (sold on a lark)
1973 Super Beetle (crashed..walked away without a scratch)
1972 Standard Beetle (lost in a relationship..)
1966 Beetle (the Black Beauty, my Dad's)
1964 Beetle (the Beige Bug, my beginning beater, also my Dad's) Thanks, Dad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia gray water storage tank? Reply with quote

oldhuldy67 wrote:
The gray greywater tank looks a little low for my comfort level even though my 2WD never goes off road...ranger roads, yes indeed. I like the idea that I can use the sink and not feel like I'm taking a leak on someone's sidewalk or parking lot. Here's what I came up with...apologies to anyone looking for an NLA bay window water tank..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7077571&highlight=#7077571

Not quite sure why, but that gray- gray water tank pictured by hiram6 looks like it hangs lower than the black ones. Maybe a different size? Or the way it's mounted?
I don't have a picture right now of my new one that I mounted on my 14" Syncro Westy, but it hangs the same as the one that was on my 16" Syncro picture here:

In any case, I don't feel like it hangs too low and it's nice not to leave a puddle!
Tip, if you're looking to buy a factory gray water tank, there are two styles. One for A/C and one without. I had to reroute my A/C hoses to pass around the back of the tank I bought. Not a big deal if you're replacing hoses, but a real bummer if not. The non A/C tank won't fit a stock A/C equipped van with hoses in stock location.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
LeliaD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia gray water storage tank? Reply with quote

To: hiram6
Can you tell me where to purchase the gray-water tank you installed?
LeliaD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia gray water storage tank? Reply with quote

To: MsTaboo

Can you tell me where to purchase the gray-water tank you installed?
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia gray water storage tank? Reply with quote

Late reply, but for whoever else might read this thread; in the US atleast, busdepot seems to be the only retailer of these tanks.

Campetvanculture in the UK, Reimo in Germany, Frankcondelli.com in Canada, Brickwerks in Uk, and possibly others.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: