Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 EVC Power Steering Pump issue
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbcnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: 2002 EVC Power Steering Pump issue Reply with quote

I have a 2000 EVC . In April I had the power steering pump replaced after the one that was in the van ( not sure if it was original ) failed. Last week I took it is for a new starter and the Pump that was installed in April had also failed so the shop replaced under warrenty. Reputable long time Pdx shop by the way. They attempted to replace and 2 out of the box pumps (Miele but unfortunately made in China) also failed. Does anyone know of a reliable maker of replacement power steering pumps? Has anyone else had this kind of issue?
Thanks
Chris
2000 EVC-Tilly Jane
1985 Westysuby-Mr Mike
cbcnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 EVC Power Steering Pump issue Reply with quote

Update on the power steering pump and related issues-pump was replaced with an A&F brand and is functional. Unfortunately the failure of the pump also damaged the steering rack so that was replaced as well under warranty. Should be good now.
Chris
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EVC Power Steering Pump issue Reply with quote

What issues did you experience with a bad rack vs. a bad pump?

I think the rack has been replaced at some point in our 2001.

We intermittently get the whine/groan noise. Sometimes it doesn't do it for weeks; when it starts, it doesn't stop until the van is turned off and sits for a bit.

Also, recently we've been smelling hot rubber. it isn't coming from the tires and while the belt looks good I'm wondering if these pumps ever seize up and I'm smelling it slip?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EVC Power Steering Pump issue Reply with quote

Perhaps you could carry an infrared temp gun with you, and when it starts doing this, get a reading from the pump. If it's seizing, it's gonna be really hot.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 EVC Power Steering Pump issue Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Perhaps you could carry an infrared temp gun with you, and when it starts doing this, get a reading from the pump. If it's seizing, it's gonna be really hot.

Good idea, thanks for the tip. I have the bottom pan off now, I imaging if its hot enough to make a rubber smell, something should be detectable.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 EVC Power Steering Pump issue Reply with quote

I seem to recall the PS pumppulley can be installed two ways and only one way is correct to line up the SERP belt. Double check the smell is to the rubber belt overheating due to chafe from incorrect pulley install!
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 EVC Power Steering Pump issue Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I seem to recall the PS pumppulley can be installed two ways and only one way is correct to line up the SERP belt. Double check the smell is to the rubber belt overheating due to chafe from incorrect pulley install!

Great tip as well, thank you for pointing this out. I will dig in and check to see how my pulley is mounted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: