Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coleman Caboose trailer, anyone use one?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Coleman Caboose trailer, anyone use one? Reply with quote

I've been looking for the Coleman Versatrailer but have not had any luck. I've come across their Caboose and will be looking at it tomorrow. It's smaller and lighter and seems to be used by bikers more than as an auto trailer. I'll want to install a Yakima rack system to the fiberglass lid.
Anyone with any experience with this trailer? [/i]
ashafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with the Caboose, although I have a VersaTrailer. I like it enough, however it's heavier and a little more clunky behind the van than you would think. It has some neat features like the drop tailgate and pop-up clamshell, but I think the Caboose looks like a better option for frequent use, i.e. carrying bikes and smaller gear loads. I bet you would barely notice the thing behind you! (assuming stock 1.9/2.1)
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I picked it up today. Perfect condition, as new, no rust, cracks or chips, just dusty from storage. He said he only used it three times and always kept it in a dry garage. I'll be attaching a Yakima system to the top for either bikes or our small kayaks. I think it was worth the 100 bucks he was asking.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a complete STEAL for the hundred bucks,

I once bought a 60's era fiberglass 1wheel trailer from craigslist that I had to go thru the slums of DC to get.. it was in a nice neighborhood though... for $75 with a 70's era trailer plate on it..

congrats. the deals are out there,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streamr wrote:
I think it was worth the 100 bucks he was asking...

Nice - I'll take one!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice deal in the Vegas area.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/2061796245.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
nice deal in the Vegas area.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/2061796245.html

I'll say! Why are the good deals either wrong place or wrong time?

John
LiMBO
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Why pull a smaller less capable Vanagon (read: "trailer") with your big Vanagon? I mean, behind a motorcycle I like, but it seems like doubling up on everything you should already have in a Vanagon.

Am I missing something? Before I got my vanagon all my friends bought those towable pop-up trailers, and everyone sold them as well soon after. Towing and hitches and extra tires and more danger and slower speeds and less off road capability and on and on and on. This was among the top reasons I chose my Vanagon, no need to tow!

Anyway, please enlighten. Perhaps this is just a trailer thread?

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the old school version of that. I think they were all orange and yellow. It works pretty well. Pulled it to AK and back this summer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
I don't get it. Why pull a smaller less capable Vanagon (read: "trailer") with your big Vanagon? I mean, behind a motorcycle I like, but it seems like doubling up on everything you should already have in a Vanagon.

Am I missing something? Before I got my vanagon all my friends bought those towable pop-up trailers, and everyone sold them as well soon after. Towing and hitches and extra tires and more danger and slower speeds and less off road capability and on and on and on. This was among the top reasons I chose my Vanagon, no need to tow!

Anyway, please enlighten. Perhaps this is just a trailer thread?

I definitely see your logic here.

In my case (VersaTrailer), I bought it for large camping trips, bikes, and anything else thats heavy you may want to take a long. Having done a 10K/30 day road trip in my van I HATED rearranging all that $hit every night just to go to sleep. Throwing gear around is what tears your seats and rips the vinyl on your panels. Also...you shoulda seen the van packed up on the way to Bonnaroo this year Shocked As useful as it's been I've been thinking about selling my Versa...right now I have no where to put it, and in Denver the van is really lagging when pulling it. I find it a little big for smaller trips too. Something like streamr's Caboose trailer is a better size I think.
CREGAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently purchased a reese backpacker (for substancially more than the coleman Sad ( I really had to beg to justify this one) but the reason for having this is to help cutdown on the clutter that tends to fill up the center of the van when on long trips. We have 3 rubbermaids, chairs and stuff that seems to just plug up and burry that middle area. We now have a super cute little six month old, so our level of "stuff" has just doubled and we need a quick and easy way to get to the back quickly. It just seems like an easy and affordable way to increase the capacity of conveniences you can bring along. Not all of us go off roading to camp in our vans. If I did, then I agree that towing wouldn't make much sense.
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

Actually, I used to ride motorcycles and think it's weird to see a trailer behind one. The freedom of jumping on a bike seems to be hindered by towing a trailer. I always liked the challenge of fitting everything I needed in a backpack and small tank bag.

Anyway, I'll be using this trailer (my first) mostly to carry extra crap. It won't be going on every trip. I have a nice rear rack for our bikes, but I'm not as young or strong as I used to be and can't lift our kayaks onto the high roof of the EV. It will be way easier to carry them and we'll use them more now. The wet paddles and vests will go in the trailer instead of the van. Probably won't be used for trips longer than a few hundred miles. Although, all of our dive gear fits in the trailer, so it may go down to the Keys a few times. I also won't be concerned about throwing wet/sandy gear into the trailer. As much as I love my EV (never thought I would), I don't think there is as much interior room as in the Vanagon Westy it replaced.

Time will tell how much use I'll get out of it, but I can see using it just as a utility trailer on a trip to Menards. It also tips up for storage and only takes a few cubic feet in the garage.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find!

Remember to clean and repack those bearings. Regular catchup maintenance... ya know?

As far as why tow a trailer?
I have 2 kids.. BK, (before kids), I always loved the freedom of one vehicle and no racks (unless hauling surfboards, or similar).. but we are 4 now. Its simply amazing how fast we fill up. With a trailer, we can leave it behind at a campsite for the day.. and we aren't loading and unloading as much to simply put out the bed for the evening.

Our regular summer trip has a base camp, of sorts; My old man's summer cabin. We haul a few weeks of stuff there and venture out. So most trailering stops once we arrive at the cabin.. unless we are going to haul the Hobie up to a high mountain lake..

Pros and cons to trailerng, no doubt..

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted a Besco folding trailer to stow in the vanagon incase I find that something whileout on a trip.
http://www.google.com/search?q=besco+trailer+site%3Acraigslist.org

http://www.google.com/search?q=besco+trailer
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I've always wanted a Besco folding trailer

Now that is a cool little trailer.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sweet little trailer. As to why to use one?

I pulled a trailer on which I built a 2'x4'x6' box from Salt Lake to Great Basin Nat'l Park, across Nevada to Tahoe, out to Oakland/SF, then up to Shelter Cove a few years ago. In the van we had 4 teens in the back, 2 adults up front, and we were doing a combination of camping & hotels. Tents, cook gear, main cooler, water, etc went in the trailer, bedding, clothes, musical instruments, electronics, and "easy access" coolers stayed in the van.

Bear country: I started taking a trailer when I camp in the Jackson/Yellowstone area. I can toss the cooking gear and coolers in the the trailer and seal it up... which means I don't have to stow it all in the van at night and after breakfast before we leave camp for the day. If the campground has bear boxes it's not as essential, but I can't always count on that.

As someone mentioned- serious road trips: My brother and sis-in-law bought a "garage" to pull behind the Eurovan MV for a year long road trip from Salt Lake to CA, up the coast to Alaska, down through Canada, East coast from New England to NC, back across the country to SL, then South to Baja, Mexico and back. The trailer carried bikes, skis, kayaks, kite & windsurf boards, & other gear that didn't need to be in their living quarters.

Paul
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question as to why is sincere, and I think the responses have been good. I anticipated most, but the bear box never occurred to me and that is a biggy. To some it may seem strange, but to those who have spent time in Bear Country, even the "light" versions like Yosemite, Teton NP etc., know that food storage is serious business. The racks I have and plan to have on my van do not solve for this without buying a box, which is not the correct solution anyway (so smell = good smell).

My family is five, 2 adults and 3 kids. I can get 4 bikes on the rear swing daddy (un-purchased=theoretical?),

or

cooking stove stowed on my swing away bumper right side
(un-purchased=theoretical?),

spare tire on swing away left side,

clothes and bags and crap stuffed between my safari rack, rocket box and front "wood cubby" storage. Skis all stow on rack during winter.

(I should mention that is a Yakima Safari rack (Load Warrior I think) with an extension. I am going to buy one more extension I think as well.

Dog in the rear area, 2 kids sleep up top, parents on bottom, grommet kid on the front cab hammock (un-purchased=theoretical?).

2 pillows, comforter and sheets store in the rear of the pop-top. Other sleeping bags and things fold up ridiculously small to go on top. I have an inflatable 2 man ducky, and I am going to buy a couple of inflatable sea kayaks as well-all fit well up top (I think). I have my river kayak and bike as well, and now I can see how things can get clustered, as I still have not figured out how Dad get to bike on trips once the grommet grows a little more. We keep our cooler where the passenger jump seat would be. I keep my first aid kit (large) and tow strap under my jump seat which fills about 60%. The bench is just stores chocks and ramps and shovel and some tools.

Mess kit fits up top which has all cooking goods. I also carry a "fun box" which is piled with mitts and balls and frisbees and bats and other games, which also fits on top.

Wow, I have invested a lot and plan to invest more into making this rig autonomous, and I guess I have yet to really pile EVERYTHING on and see how it goes. On looking over all this crap, this is painfully expensive, and heavy. I think the rack dry is 130 lbs. Not sure on that bumper, but I will guess 250 lbs dry. The retail value of my rack is like, maybe $1,200, and about the same on the rear bumper, oh, and another $400 for the bike rack. So, like $2,800 to outfit the van or $100 for a trailer...hmmmmmmm.

By the way, congrats on the deal!

Looking at the space, I think you can get more on a rack (because of the height issue on that trailer, but actually GETTING to the stuff on the rack may also be a concern?! I have gotten used to it, but I remember until recently thinking the accessibility was a crappy issue to deal with, using acrobatics to get my pillow down (or whatever).

I also totally agree with the idea of leaving camp behind. This is one of my biggest mistakes in buying my van over another road trip car. I think we either need to be able to take down/set up camp with ease and quickness, or I need to be able to leave it all behind! If I can't set up/take down quick, then the vanagon seems mostly useless to me as far as camping is concerned.

I like the idea of pulling up to a side tent and leaving it behind, but, I don't wanna set it up. That kind of makes driving the van to camp redundant. The ($750) canopy seems to be a quick set up, and the walls you can buy for those are probably a quick way to get an enclosed space. The top pops up in a jiffy and that is cool.

Along those lines, I should state that I just bought like 30 yards x 60" of high end water proof rip stop material to finally build the rear tent I have been threatening. I think it all arrives tomorrow. This is a tent that drops from the rear hatch, but also extends out 180 degrees on each side of the van to open more space. More details to come....anyway, this is part of my deal about quick tear down and set up. But even with all those things as easy as can be, I will still have to roll back into town because I forgot ice or something...so what do we do in that case?

"OK everyone, I know you are comfortable resting in the shade and just chilling but I have some totally useless task that requires I take the van so now you have no creature comforts for the next hour" ...LAME! Hmm...I mean, I have tents, but why not just take the Volvo wagon then? It tears along at 85 mph getting 25 mpg, has all wheel and will go most places i would take the van. I will have to continue pondering this. your thoughts are welcome...

Hopefully on subject still. Love that folding trailer! I have a picnic table that works in a similar manner. Very cool!

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John... I didn't realize it was you asking about the trailer. I guess we've had this discussion before! Smile Your kids are little... when we did the CA trip they were teens and really appreciated the extra space in the van.

I didn't mention the fact that I usually try to avoid sticking stuff on the roof too, due to drag/windage. That's a trade off though... I find a trailer doesn't drop my gas mileage or noticeably work the engine any harder except on long uphill runs. Putting stuff on the roof does. That said, I've got load bars, roof mount ski/snowboard racks, and a Yakima basket for when I want to go trailerless.

For the CA trip with the trailer in 2007 I still had the stock 2.1wbxr. The van did great, except heating up on a few long climbs (outside temps were around 100º F). The trailer was only an asset on the entire trip except our visit to San Francisco. We came in out of Oakland and drove out to the North, so we didn't want to drop the trailer. Try finding parking in SF with a van and trailer... I would have been better off with the basket on the roof.

I will also toss building materials inside with the bed folded down or on the trailer before I put them on the roof, mostly because it's easier to load and unload... so I like having a trailer available for that as well. That said, I've hauled lots of lumber, sprinkler pipe, and sheetrock on the roof of my vans. One time I had to buy a bunch of 20' lengths of rebar and didn't want them in the van or on the roof. I bundled them up, parked the van (a '73 Bay) on top of them, then tied them to the bumpers with one line around the middle of the van. They stuck out about 2' fore and aft. It sure made it easy to drop them again when I got home.

pd
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:

By the way, congrats on the deal!

Looking at the space, I think you can get more on a rack (because of the height issue on that trailer, but actually GETTING to the stuff on the rack may also be a concern?! I have gotten used to it, but I remember until recently thinking the accessibility was a crappy issue to deal with, using acrobatics to get my pillow down (or whatever).

Yeah, John, thanks, I'm liking it even more since yesterday. I'm glad I found this instead of the VersaTrailer I was holding out for, much more compact and unobtrusive.

As I mentioned, I'm not as young as I used to be and I have a little problem trying to get our kayaks up on the roof. Also, our EuroVan Weekender doesn't have that neat little storage area on the roof like a Westy has. The entire fiberglass roof opens up, not just part of it like yours. All of those racks and baskets are fine, but they sure add a lot of height and weight to the vehicle. I like to pop my top and would be uncomfortable doing so with it loaded down with kayaks, baskets, gear and other flotsam and jetsam. When we owned Westies, we loaded the crap out of them, a lot of it on the outside. Our dive gear fit nicely into the little luggage area on the top, I made harnesses for our tanks behind the rear seat and there was still plenty of room for the two of us. Things changed a little with the EVW, there is less space inside and out and it's a little tougher to crawl up into the top bunk. We usually slept in the top bunk with our other Westies. I do have a nice Yakima 2-bike hitch rack for our bikes, however. Obviously, I would not be able to use that rack if I wanted to haul my kayaks on the trailer.

To sum up, I think it makes a lot of sense to travel light and I would rather keep everything in the van, but sometimes you just need someplace to put that extra crap.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Coleman Caboose trailer, anyone use one? Reply with quote

Just picked one of these up. Didn't quite steal it for $100 but pretty happy at just under $250.

I don't see us using it every trip, but while the kids are young it will be nice to have a place to throw extra bikes or wet stuff if it rains. It can double duty as a yard waste hauler too.

I figure worst case I can get my money back out of we don't end up using it enough. Don't really plan on bringing more stuff along but should help free up floor space while driving. I hate not being able to get into the fridge easy to switch to propane if we stop awhile.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: