Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need help in the Portland Area
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

In May I purchased a VW Type 2 from
Nicholas A Haas
R&R Auto LLC
112 ne killingsworth st
Portland Oregon 97211
971 888 0596

shop phone:
971 229 1070

this is the bus
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2174557
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The guy was a longtime thesamba member and had no negative feedback.
And his own business selling old Volvo's.

So I thought it would be safe to buy from him (long distance).
All communication was very easy.
Untill he received my money.
Now no response on Email / phone / facebook /....

I was wondering if anybody could stop by his shop to ask him what is going on.
I want my bus (with title) or my money back.
And would like to avoid travelling from Belgium to the US.

All help is much appreciated!
I have no problem paying your expenses.

Thanks in advance.
Tanguy Legrand
Belgium
+32 476 46 81 53
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

i don’t live far from this guy and have wondered about what he has going on with all the volvos. i feel like this bus was listed on craigslist too. anyway, i’m in california but when i get back this weekend, if anybody hasn’t taken up the gauntlet, i’ll check it out.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

these are FB quotes
Quote:
Colin Manning · May 27, 2018
Far and away the worst mechanic experience I have ever had. I'm 49 years old and have owned at least 30 used cars in my time. It was a bullshit festival that has taken over two months to resolve after my car was disassembled and held hostage in their lot while I was ignored or repeatedly lied to about completion of the work. They never answered or returned my phone calls so I had to visit their location every few days to try to get my car back in one piece. The story goes like this: I bought a Volvo from Nick which had a serious transmission problem the first time I took it on the freeway. He touted a 2 month free service plan (I pay for parts) to make the sale, so I brought it back to him soon after. His first attempt to fix it didn't solve the problem so I brought it back again. The car then sat there for a week or so before I asked for it back so that I could use it for in town errands and make an appointment to actually do something with it. We then made an appointment two weeks down the road to change out the entire transmission. The day came and I dropped it off or the work. But later that day I received a voice mail from Nick explaining that he thinks the car has too many other problems, that he shouldn't have sold me it in the first place and that he would be willing to trade me for another vehicle on his lot. I then came in and test drove two cars, either of which I would have taken, but he explained that one was still owned by someone else who wasn't actually ready to sell it and another needed work and I was given no time frame when I might actually be able to make this trade. I waited and waited for a car to become available, but it became evident that I was being put off indefinitely so I asked that he either refund the money I originally spent on the car or that he at least put it back together and give it back to me. He refused either of those options but said he would do finally do the transmission swap another week or so down the road. The work was finally finished more than two weeks after that and I was charged much more than the agreed price to get my car back. I would have gladly taken the car to a real mechanic and paid what it took to get a working transmission in a timely matter, but instead I was taken on a bullshit ride that took over two months to complete. When I first found this place I was hopeful I had found a good mechanic in my new neighborhood, but obviously after this experience I would never go there again.

EJ Reed · June 5, 2018
There are good Volvo shops out there. Then there is this one. I bought a car here and was offered discount labor. Sounded good. I had one front strut assembly replaced as the brakes made a terrible noise and low and behold one of the caliper bolts was had fallen out, and the threads were stripped. The simplest solution seemed to be to swap out the strut housing rather than try to re-tap damaged metal. What made the big impression on me though was what happened afterwords. I paid in cash and started to leave, and came back to answer a question, only to see the cash being distributed between the people there. If money is that tight, it makes you wonder. The final straw was needing more maintenance done, and calling... no answer, no worries I just left a message. I also made an inquiry via Facebook messenger. Neither of those two messages was returned. Do yourself a favor, find another shop.

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

I can try swinging by there to see what's up, but I'm at work all day today and heading out tomorrow for a bit of a camping trip and won't be back until Sunday.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no Bus on the premises...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

This is the Oregon Sec of State business info. He filed his tax info on time according to Oregon State. There is a FB post in a Volvo forum less than a day ago where it appears he put a Volvo up for sale. If you, the buyer of the VW bus, are in Belgium then I read your posts too re the bus. If you are not in Belgium then you might want to research things yourself more because someone in Belgium bought a VW bus that hasn't arrived yet.

http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_web_name_srch_i...rint=FALSE
Sancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.
I have bought in the US before.
And am always pretty coutious.
Offcourse it happens that a car is not as good as described.
Risk of doing business...

But that the seller who has a business is disappearing...
Hopefully he will wake up when someone is asking questions.
I much appreciate your help!

And I am also posting on his Facebook Volvo page...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Assuming this was a casual sale then there is nothing you can do about it, you bought it and if the title is clear you now own all its problems.

Caveat emptor
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Well, it's a bus with CA plates being sold in Oregon.....
I've got a sinking feeling the title is lost.
Not the end of the world, but still.
Volvo people...what can you do?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Sancho wrote:

Wildthings wrote:
Assuming this was a casual sale then there is nothing you can do about it, you bought it and if the title is clear you now own all its problems.

Caveat emptor

he doesn't have the van yet.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Last visit to Samba by person of interest was May 2018
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Sancho wrote:

Wildthings wrote:

Caveat emptor

We don't know the details of his agreement with the seller. If it was just money that changed hand and some "maybe" about shipping he doesn't have much grounds to stand on. Yes he should have gotten a title, it would have been best if he had paid a bank to handle this transaction for him, the money comes one way across the counter while the title goes the other way and the money for the shipping would be paid only after proof was given that the van had been delivered to the freight company.
Sancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
Sancho wrote:

Wildthings wrote:

Caveat emptor

We don't know the details of his agreement with the seller. If it was just money that changed hand and some "maybe" about shipping he doesn't have much grounds to stand on. Yes he should have gotten a title, it would have been best if he had paid a bank to handle this transaction for him, the money comes one way across the counter while the title goes the other way and the money for the shipping would be paid only after proof was given that the van had been delivered to the freight company.

The deal was pretty clear.
Bus (including title) against my money.
I work out the shipping (offcourse at my cost).
But it is pretty difficult to arrange shipping if the seller decides to "disappear" and doesn't return any email or phonecall.

All he should have done was return one email with "money has arrived, your shipper can contact me at ********* for the pickup."
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

As I said, you should have used a middle man, like a bank, to handle the transaction for you. Heck I have made a seller hand the signed title over to the DMV before I will give him his money. It has been a rule of mine for 20 years that a seller go to the DMV with me or the sale doesn't happen. If the seller can not go to the DMV or I suspect that there is a defect in the title, I have required that the seller give me the signed title ahead of time so I can clear up any title problems and get the title in my name before he gets his money.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

I’m about to leave work. If traffic isn’t backed up. I’ll drive buy the place. Nobody will be there at 6:00am. But I can at least maybe see your bus or whatever. Hit you back later.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

No bus. Nothing but old Volvo’s. The place appears to be in business. I looked inside the repair shop as well.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

is there a message you want passed on? if i talked to him or someone, what should i say?
Sancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
is there a message you want passed on? if i talked to him or someone, what should i say?

that they should wire my money back!
or at least they should start contating me!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Seems to me that the shipper will want the title. Did you get a pic of the title before you wired the money?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Pas de quoi Confused Bonne chance.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help in the Portland Area Reply with quote

Sancho wrote:
chachi wrote:

that they should wire my money back!
or at least they should start contating me!

You need to be very specific here:

1, wire all the funds back plus OP cost to wire the original amount
OR
2, the bus, in condition it was in on day deal was made, all keys, papers, vin verification, title, bill of sale delivered to your shipper, with current owner providing whatever info is needed to get it to you.

If there is no title, see #1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: