Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

I want to build a complete spare tire/wheel/bearing assembly to carry with the trailer. I have several long road trips planned this summer, and it would be nice to be able to do a quick change if something goes wrong. My question is about the rim- the only thing I'm finding that would work is a wheelbarrow rim. Nothing else at the trailer places is the same as the Allstate rim. Will a heavy duty wheelbarrow rim do the trick as long as I find a proper trailer tire and bearings for it? What have others done?
Here's my current wheel. It's not the 2 piece bolt together type. I'm not sure if it should be for my trailer, or if this is the original? I don't particularly care as long as I can get something that will work safely.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Anyone have luck on a wheel? Searching everywhere and can’t find a replacement.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

ottvw wrote:

Not yet. But I need to get some time and pull my current wheel apart to see how it is shaped inside the hub where the bearing sits. It was freshly greased when I got it so I didn't bother taking them out at the time to see.
A standard wheel barrow bearing won't be rated to handle the speed required of it, and a proper speed rated bearing will have a taper to it. If the outer race of the bearing will allow it to fit into a wheel barrow rim, I don't see why it would be an issue using it. However, if the Allstate rim has a taper built into the inner hub to accept the high speed bearing, that's going to be an issue.
From all outward appearances, it sure seems to be the same as a wheel barrow rim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
ottvw wrote:

Not yet. But I need to get some time and pull my current wheel apart to see how it is shaped inside the hub where the bearing sits. It was freshly greased when I got it so I didn't bother taking them out at the time to see.
A standard wheel barrow bearing won't be rated to handle the speed required of it, and a proper speed rated bearing will have a taper to it. If the outer race of the bearing will allow it to fit into a wheel barrow rim, I don't see why it would be an issue using it. However, if the Allstate rim has a taper built into the inner hub to accept the high speed bearing, that's going to be an issue.
From all outward appearances, it sure seems to be the same as a wheel barrow rim.

Not sure if you've seen this
https://trailerpartssupplies.com/mounted-tires-and...rings.html
Some Specs on it:
Load range: C (You'll have to dig around to find out what that means)
Maximum load: 760 lbs
Tire pressure: 90 psi
Wheel size: 8" x 3.75"
Offset: 0
Wheel color: White
You'd have to check around to see if their DOT rated also. Hope this helps
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Does anyone know the size of the spacer that goes on either side of the wheel and where to find them?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

ottvw wrote:
Does anyone know the size of the spacer that goes on either side of the wheel and where to find them?

There seems to maybe be a few different styles. If yours is anything like mine, it has a threaded stud through the whole assembly. I have thin washers and 1/2" thick spacer nuts against the bearings that need to turned in or out to get the correct bearing adjustment. Outward of those, I have the 'L' shaped brackets that attach the wheel assembly to the leaf springs, and holding those in place is a castle nut to keep the whole assembly together. It took a lot of messing around to get everything adjusted properly and even from side to side.
Hopefully this helps a bit? I suppose if your centre shaft isn't threaded you could just use some sort of pipe as a spacer. But it would have to be pretty thick so it doesn't load the bearing off centre I would think.

Last edited by CanStan on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

Not sure if you've seen this
https://trailerpartssupplies.com/mounted-tires-and...rings.html
Some Specs on it:
Load range: C (You'll have to dig around to find out what that means)
Maximum load: 760 lbs
Tire pressure: 90 psi
Wheel size: 8" x 3.75"
Offset: 0
Wheel color: White
You'd have to check around to see if their DOT rated also. Hope this helps

Not sure how I missed this post? Thanks for the link! That looks like it might do the trick. I'll have to look into it a little further.
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
ottvw wrote:

There seems to maybe be a few different styles. If yours is anything like mine, it has a threaded stud through the whole assembly. I have thin washers and 1/2" thick spacer nuts against the bearings that need to turned in or out to get the correct bearing adjustment. Outward of those, I have the 'L' shaped brackets that attach the wheel assembly to the leaf springs, and holding those in place is a castle nut to keep the whole assembly together. It took a lot of messing around to get everything adjusted properly and even from side to side.
Hopefully this helps a bit? I suppose if your centre shaft isn't threaded you could just use some sort of pipe as a spacer. But it would have to be pretty thick so it doesn't load the bearing off centre I would think.

I found that Harley axle spacers will work. There a 3/4” axle and they make them in a variety of lengths.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

I finally got around to pulling my bearings to check and re-grease them. I'm glad I checked because they weren't in very good shape. Interestingly, they are different bearings than what has been recommended in this thread and elsewhere. They actually seem to be a common bearing for '90's Harley Davidson bikes among other things. They also seem to be a lot cheaper than the recommended bearings (as far as I could find anyway). I ordered a replacement set of them from Rock Auto. For $12 Canadian I got 2 of each Timken bearings and races. The other bearings seemed to be 2x or even 4x the price of these, although maybe someone has a better source than the places I looked.

That being said, I haven't been able to confirm 100% that my rim is a proper Allstate rim. I've never seen another up close to confirm, so these bearings may or may not work for you.

Here are the Timken part numbers for bearings and races:
LM11949 for the bearing and LM11910 for the race

Here is my rim. You can see the lip inside where the race butts up to. I'm not sure if that's the same as an original?

And here is the bearing and grease seal installed:

Hopefully this helps someone else out. These bearings also seemed easy to find from lots of sources so maybe a good option for anyone looking.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Yeah hard to say. But depending on the year there were two different manufacturers of Allstate trailers for Sears. Also possible the parts changed throughout the years. Or that it’s a different wheel because of a previous owner.

Did ya get it working?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

vintagevwnut wrote:
Yeah hard to say. But depending on the year there were two different manufacturers of Allstate trailers for Sears. Also possible the parts changed throughout the years. Or that it’s a different wheel because of a previous owner.

Did ya get it working?

It works great with those bearings. One of these days hopefully I'll be able to look at another wheel to compare. Although they've been around long enough, it would be pretty hard to be certain any of them have the original wheel anymore.
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
vintagevwnut wrote:

Did ya get it working?

It works great with those bearings. One of these days hopefully I'll be able to look at another wheel to compare. Although they've been around long enough, it would be pretty hard to be certain any of them have the original wheel anymore.

So looking in your gallery I see your trailer is a later one built in Iowa. When I started this thread I didn’t even realize that there were two different manufacturers. I don’t remember the name of the later Iowa manufacturer. But the earlier one was Dunbar Kaple (Kapple?) in Geneva IL. I also have not bothered Everett to modify the original post (it’s to old I can’t) with the other info. I suppose we could.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

vintagevwnut wrote:
So looking in your gallery I see your trailer is a later one built in Iowa. When I started this thread I didn’t even realize that there were two different manufacturers. I don’t remember the name of the later Iowa manufacturer. But the earlier one was Dunbar Kaple (Kapple?) in Geneva IL. I also have not bothered Everett to modify the original post (it’s to old I can’t) with the other info. I suppose we could.

Interesting. What are the differences between early and late? Any idea of the year the manufacturer changed? Using references here and at singlewheel.com I was able to pin it down to between 1961 and 1971. A lot of that was using the Sears advertisements through the years to compare the features, but there were a lot of them missing between those years so it was hard to tell for sure. I think in '72 they changed to brown paint so I think that was why I guessed it was at least earlier than that. I'd be interested to know anything more I can about it. Thanks!
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
vintagevwnut wrote:

Interesting. What are the differences between early and late? Any idea of the year the manufacturer changed? Using references here and at singlewheel.com I was able to pin it down to between 1961 and 1971. A lot of that was using the Sears advertisements through the years to compare the features, but there were a lot of them missing between those years so it was hard to tell for sure. I think in '72 they changed to brown paint so I think that was why I guessed it was at least earlier than that. I'd be interested to know anything more I can about it. Thanks!

Per Jon LaTorre, someone I helped a little with local research on Allstate trailers- ‘61 was the first year for the Iowa production of the Sears Allstate.

“In the Spring and Fall 1973 Catalogs, the price is now $159.95, and in the Spring and Fall 1974 catalogs it's $164.95. But in the Spring 1975 issue, the price soars to $224.95. That price remains in effect until the Fall 1975 catalog, the last catalog to list the single-wheel trailer.”
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

vintagevwnut wrote:

Per Jon LaTorre, someone I helped a little with local research on Allstate trailers- ‘61 was the first year for the Iowa production of the Sears Allstate.

“In the Spring and Fall 1973 Catalogs, the price is now $159.95, and in the Spring and Fall 1974 catalogs it's $164.95. But in the Spring 1975 issue, the price soars to $224.95. That price remains in effect until the Fall 1975 catalog, the last catalog to list the single-wheel trailer.”

Good info. Thanks!
vwvega
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Hi, I have a single wheel Allstate trailer. It is one with like a steering damper. Do anyone knows what kind of steering damper shock absorber thingy I could replace it with?
vintagevwnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

vwvega wrote:
Hi, I have a single wheel Allstate trailer. It is one with like a steering damper. Do anyone knows what kind of steering damper shock absorber thingy I could replace it with?

Pics? Sounds like a Heilite, not a Allstate
kaferdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Recently purchased a very solid Allstate one-wheel trailer with a bill of sale but no title/registration (looks like it has the original Allstate tire too). The trailer data plate indicates model #231 96360 and serial #E9222 but I can't find a year of manufacture anywhere. Based on the Singlewheel website and the Dragonwiz article:
http://dragonwing.biz/sears%20swt.htm?fbclid=IwAR0...VdjUKu6454
the trailer appears to be a 'Second Generation' mid-to-late '50's trailer.
I'd like to register the trailer in NYS but the DMV requires a year of manufacture. It would be nice if I could provide them something besides my best 'guess'.
- Ques 1: Is there a written listing somewhere with the model and/or serial numbers of Allstate trailers by year?
- Ques 2: I've seen pictures of Allstate data plates that have model #231 963. I'm not sure why my trailer model # has the additional '60' at the end of it. Someone told me it means it might be a Canadian model but they weren't sure. Any idea what the '60' means?
- Ques 3: Is there a number listed somewhere else on the trailer (besides the data plate) which might indicate the yr of manufacture? If so, where? I can't find one on mine.

Thanks,
Dan

Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

kaferdude wrote:
Recently purchased a very solid Allstate one-wheel trailer with a bill of sale but no title/registration (looks like it has the original Allstate tire too). The trailer data plate indicates model #231 96360 and serial #E9222 but I can't find a year of manufacture anywhere. Based on the Singlewheel website and the Dragonwiz article
http://dragonwing.biz/sears%20swt.htm?fbclid=IwAR0...VdjUKu6454
the trailer appears to be a 'Second Generation' mid-to-late '50's trailer.
I'd like to register the trailer in NYS but the DMV requires a year of manufacture. It would be nice if I could provide them something besides my best 'guess'.
- Ques 1: Is there a written listing somewhere with the model and/or serial numbers of Allstate trailers by year?
- Ques 2: I've seen pictures of Allstate data plates that have model #231 963. I'm not sure why my trailer model # has the additional '60' at the end of it. Someone told me it means it might be a Canadian model but they weren't sure. Any idea what the '60' means?
- Ques 3: Is there a number listed somewhere else on the trailer (besides the data plate) which might indicate the yr of manufacture? If so, where? I can't find one on mine.

Thanks,
Dan

I saw that trailer. Good deal!!
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Allstate single wheel service parts list / set up tips Reply with quote

Are most of you guys running the 45lbs recommended ? Have you found that if it's to bouncy that it's better to lower the PSI ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: