Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any solutions for carrying water and fuel on rear door?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Any solutions for carrying water and fuel on rear door? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I’m wondering about any solutions for carrying water and fuel containers on the outside of the rear door. And I assume that the weight is not such that will allow to keep the door up and open if I need to reach anything, right?

Another solution would be to put them right above the drivers roof. I think that is for storage too, right?

Thank you

Miquel
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Any solutions for carrying water and fuel on rear door? Reply with quote

IIRC, some folks have mounted strips of L-track across the door and fabricated their own brackets to mount jerry cans to the L-track.

As far as weight goes, any weight you add to the door will have to be lifted by you (obviously, with respect to the moment-arm length resulting from where that weight is mounted...). The stock door struts will not support that weight, so consider whether 'stiffer' struts exist and fit the EV, or alternate ways to keep the door propped open when you lift it while water/fuel cans are stored on the door.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any solutions for carrying water and fuel on rear door? Reply with quote

Seems the Vanagon people would have a way
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any solutions for carrying water and fuel on rear door? Reply with quote

Hey

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it

Miquel
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Any solutions for carrying water and fuel on rear door? Reply with quote

From another topic:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

wildenbeast wrote:
It is called L-track or airline track. Here's a T6 that used some for a sweet custom spare tire carrier:
https://expeditionportal.com/uro-camper-teams-up-with-viajes-tara/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a few places to order it:
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/Angled-L-Track
https://jet.com/

mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Any solutions for carrying water and fuel on rear door? Reply with quote

Wow! It’s nice to see it. Thanks for sharing the pics!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any solutions for carrying water and fuel on rear door? Reply with quote

Go-westy built a custom bumper mt swing out rack for Hasta Alaska that really worked- you might contact them for their vanagone rack of a similar design

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: