Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

I replaced the front brake pads/rotors and bearings on my 2WD van. I followed the Bently, used 10c's suggestion to tighten the bearings until the washer could be moved only by twisting a flathead screwdriver against it, and did some runs to bed in the brakes.

Everything seems fine although when I get back from driving around my front wheels are hot, presumably from braking. I measured with an IR gun and the temps are up around 270F, hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch. But is that normal anyway?

How would one know if the bearings are adjusted correctly? Just the 'ol "hands at 12 and 6 and try to wiggle the wheel/tire" method?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

When you push against the washer with the flat head screw driver it should not take much pressure to slide the washer. If you have to really use leverage to move the washer then it is too tight. Too tight a bearing heats up and wears prematurely.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

also, raise the front wheel off the ground and give it a spin. it should spin happily, with a gradual stop.

heat could be from a dragging brake caliper, tight wheel bearings, or just normal heat after braking to a stop.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

Hi

Another cause of hot wheels is the brake pad dragging on the rotor" This is due to dirty pistons, or worn dirty piston gaskets. They sell repair kits with those gaskets. Itθs quite cheap and sell worth it if your calipers aren't toast.

It appears likely from your post that the bearings are at fault, but you never know.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

The Bentley says to use the screwdriver but NOT to twist it or pry with it when trying to move the washer with it.

Page 40.11

Mark

SCM wrote:
..... I followed the Bently, used 10c's suggestion to tighten the bearings until the washer could be moved only by twisting a flathead screwdriver against it.....?
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

The service procedure for adjusting wheel bearings does involve a screwdriver blade simply pushing against the washer, not twisting the screwdriver between the hub and the washer.

If you did bed-in your pads properly before noting the temperature of your rotors, that was likely the cause of the heat. Take it out for a good highway run and at the end downshift and use your hand brake to bring yourself to the final stop. The hubs and rotors will probably not be so hot. I often walk around the van at gas stops and touch a lug nut on each wheel. I've never had them be uncomfortably hot.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

If the wheel spins freely and the 12 and 6 wiggle test reveals no looseness, I'd say it's pads bedding in -- though they shouldn't drag and not sure why yours are, if they are.

See if temps drop a little with each new drive, but make sure you smell no asbestos!

Getting the nut tension right can be tricky. I did ours a hair tighter and drove a little and checked temp by hand. No issues over 15K miles, right now there's a *tiny* amount of play (tiny!) and I personally think that's fine.

Best to re-adjust after 500 miles or so, but I was too lazy so erred on being a skosh tight to start with and checked they weren't overheating.

Or you could drive to Ennis so we can take a look together. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

The rotors spun freely even without having the mass of the wheel/tire on them but I'll try driving a bit without much braking and if that results in hot wheels I'll slacken the bearing adjustment.

This is the thread I read where a handful of folks suggested the Bentley instructions for bearing tightening results in a wheel that's too loose.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3630268

E1, unfortunately my work is about to send me to Ludlow, SD for a while so no trips to Ennis anytime soon. What are you up to there? If it's clear of snow, a drive along the Gravelly Range crest road is worth doing between town and Lyon's Bridge.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotors/bearings. Did I do it right? Reply with quote

I understand the clubbing scene to be Uge in Ludlow. Laughing

Dang, maybe next time, we'll be in the general area a couple more weeks.

Putting up a website, actually. Incredible signal here, needed (!), may be "stuck" awhile! We love it here.

Yeah, Thanks, was looking at that road. A local told me there's great cell in Beaverhead Valley, too but I'm skeptical until seeing that. Great looking campground on the pass near Tate Place, too!

Gonna call Lolo and ask that very question so they can poke fun as soon as hanging up. Wink

Happy Travels!

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: