Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2" hitch receiver in front bumper
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to weld a 2" hitch receiver in my front bumper. I want to use it for a bike rack and a winch.

Does anybody have done this and have pictures?

Thanks

Mat
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Lee makes a front winch bracket that bolts on.

I have seen some where it's incorporated with a HD front bumper,

I have also seen where it's cut into the vanagon front frame/bumper reinforcement. though depth needs to be figured to allow proper pinning of the attachments.
I plan to do this with mine. I have a plasma cutter which does make it easier.. you have to cut a square hole in the front & back of the framehead then for safety sake (esp if winching) it should protrude thru to allow gussets/plates/angles to be welded to the backsided portion. to keep it from pulling out.

for true off road winching & recovery I am still a fan of the manual Griphoist hand winch. over electric. though electric ones are less labor and just have that cool factor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that GW sells a front hitch receiver for around $80. I think that it's made to mount on their own bumpers, though, but it might work. Try calling them.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

mathieux46 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to weld a 2" hitch receiver in my front bumper. I want to use it for a bike rack and a winch.

Does anybody have done this and have pictures?

Thanks

Mat

Not my van, but I've talked with the guy who builds these bumpers. Made from C-channel, and extremely stout. Puts in receiver hitches front and rear if you like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to replace my rear bumper (cracked) with one with a hitch.
No rush, especially since custom bumpers aren't cheap (what is on these vans!). GoWesty has the most affordable, but I really like the tube bumpers... Aircooled has the one I like best so just slowly saving $$.

But I like the one you show 1621. Who made that? Have a matching rear bumper? General price?
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
markmc90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 who's is that. Was it made hear in Portland. It looks good.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to know how the tire on front affects engine cooling...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markmc90 wrote:
1621 who's is that. Was it made hear in Portland. It looks good.

The guy who builds these is in central California. He builds them of C-channel, and they incorporate a really heavy duty mounting system that ties into the "frame" rails up front. I've got pictures on my home computer that I could load up later of the mounting system, and the matching rear bumper.

As for the front mounted tire, it's been there for a while so I'm assuming the guy hasn't had any issues.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
I'd be curious to know how the tire on front affects engine cooling...

and aerodynamics....
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've been thinking about vehicle impact physics all day, and have done some poking around on the Internet on the subject. One of the reasons why I balked at this type of bumper is due to how strong it is. I've heard rumblings about how it could be potentially more dangerous. The bumper itself was over built, and perhaps to the detriment of the occupants in a collision. I pulled the following bit from this website: http://www.carpeylaw.com/Library/LowSpeedImpact/tabid/85/Default.aspx

The quality of bumper design systems in cars these days has a direct effect of the severity of the occupants in rear and front end accidents. A high quality bumper system is designed to absorb the force of the impact by “compressing.” A low quality bumper system fails this test and the forces of the impact are passed through the vehicle to the occupants. Many cars on the road today have the lesser quality bumper.

It would seem as though the overbuilt bumper would indeed perform poorly as it would lessen the amount of time until impact, thus increasing the amount of stopping force on the passengers. While it may minimize visible damage to the vehicle itself, the damage to the occupants could be significantly worse.

I found some other readings on the topic as well, but the above quote seemed succinct enough to copy and paste. For those physics buffs, does this seem accurate?

Would it be safer to retain the stock bumper over something like the Go Westy bumper, or the C-channel bumper pictured above?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point may be valid on newer cars that are designed with crumple zones to absorb impact, but the reading I've done specifically on the vanagon indicates the front of the van is comprised of a ridgid frame the is designed to transfer the load. I know there are some good links to this information somewhere.
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
Would it be safer to retain the stock bumper over something like the Go Westy bumper, or the C-channel bumper pictured above?

Dude, you'll never be able to sell them to your wife as a "safety issue" if you keep this up!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
1621 wrote:

Dude, you'll never be able to sell them to your wife as a "safety issue" if you keep this up!

Ahh... but she doesn't read the Samba. Wink

Here are those photos:

And the front bumper mounts:

avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

thread revival, what about something like this? I think I would rather weld it to the bumper and notch out the bumper cover. I have stock metal bumpers. I think it would only need to be notched at the 2" receiver. Any chance bolts alone would be strong enough? I would use it for a bike rack/cargo carrier. Maybe a ct70 eventually?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5000-lb-Step-Bumper-Mount-...3641.l6368
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

I did this to mine a few years ago, using the GW mount and bolting it though the frame member. It carries a CT70 fine--I had one on there over 10K miles in all sorts of terrain including 100's of miles of washboard. There is some welding you need to do to make it work. If you're in Richmond I could show you mine, I'm in Oakland, pm me if you want.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

I really like the idea a lot... glad to hear that putting a mini-bike on a front hitch didn't interfere with your cooling system. (though that is assuming you HAD a cooling system.)

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

I installed a front 2" receiver......

Here's how to make one.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608290&highlight=front+hitch

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

I made one for mine... carry bikes and other items.. No ill effects to engine temp when carrying small motos.. currently a KTM 65 which does a good job at covering the entire grill.. Note: pic is of a smaller bike.

avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

I read your thread, I think mounting something above the bumper (a la gowesty)is more appealing to me, and no loss of ground clearance. I've had a couple of moments when that underneath the bumper hitch would have dug itself into the ground.

Also seems like less work to just weld/bolt a hitch receiver to the top of the bumper.

I'll try to remember to take pictures...
Hopebo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" hitch receiver in front bumper Reply with quote

I am new here and would appreciate some help with this topic. I have a 86 Vanagon and am thinking of adding a cargo deck either to the front or rear mount.

Not thinking of adding a lot of weight to the carrier, maybe cooler, chairs, etc. Just to make more room for my dogs while travelling.

Thought that the rear is already heavy.

ANY advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Hope
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: