Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door check rod adjustment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

Is it possible to tighten up or renew the door open check detent? Mine are kind of weak.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

There is no adjustment. They need to be replaced. Check our vendors for replacement parts. Yes I have just done this myself.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

How bad was the repair? Do they just wear out over time?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

Subscribed. The doors on my Syncro have only one speed...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

I have taken them off and spread them to re-initiate the bump. Seems to be working for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
How bad was the repair? Do they just wear out over time?

The repair was easy. Do they just wear out over time? Let me ask you this, after 31 years do you think that a door check strap is going to be worn out after that amount of time? There are a lot of parts on these vans that wear out over time.
This is one of those parts that is also for a bay window. This is also one of those parts that you made bitch about how much it cost but just be thankful that this part is available new from Volkswagen. Buy it and it's plug-and-play how easy is that?
And I'm not saying this to be a dick either. For about $125 and a couple hours of your time you would be good for another 30 years.
did you even honestly look this up in Bently to see what it entails to take that part out? So much easier to ask questions are on Samba huh?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
. . . So much easier to ask questions are on Samba huh?

Wow that's a bit brutal. If you didn't like the post why answer it at all.

To the Op - I see no harm in your question at all and hope most of the answers you get on this forum are helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
I have taken them off and spread them to re-initiate the bump. Seems to be working for me.

I'm hoping to have some time to try your method this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

The door checks are a common wear item on lots of vehicles. MBs for example have ridiculously overbuilt and underperforming versions that need frequent attention. These are fairly simple to replace, and I can definitely see them being "juiced" up for additional life when they start to squeak or get weak.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/shufti.blog/2012/02/0...rce=images

Alistair posted on his site the above.
Just giving you a quick preview of where you're headed.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front door check rod adjustment Reply with quote

So as per Alistairs image here:

https://shufti.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/img_5247.jpg

if the door does not stay open, e.g. when parked on an incline, install thin metal shim under each rubber bit to reduce clearance between them and metal arm?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: