Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel tank connection for 73' gas heater
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Fuel tank connection for 73' gas heater Reply with quote

I'm just about to dive into the gas heater on my 73 thing. The previous owner had put in a new fuel tank and took out the fuel pump for the heater. I have a pump and bracket on the way, but I was hoping someone would have more info on the pump connection to the fuel tank.

There is a single connection on the bottom of the tank. Doe this get "teed" off to feed the fuel pump? Does anyone have a picture of the tank connection?

Thanks to anyone that would have some additional information.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank connection for 73' gas heater Reply with quote

I don't have a pic, but yes it is just a T in there.

You'll want a filter for the fuel going to the heater, so I suppose you can either filter prior to the T and filter both heater and engine fuel, or if you have engine fuel filter out back, you can add one in the line to the heater.

I don't recall if the hose diameter between the tank and pump on a Thing is the same or not. If they are the same, it'll be reasonably easy to find a suitable T at a flaps.

If they are different, then it'll be a little more difficult to find an off-the-shelf T.

If you run into that, what I did when installing and Espar heater in my Bus was go to the ACE hardware store to the plumbing section. I found a little brass T with three threaded ends, and found three hose barbs that threaded into the T. I cranked them in tight, and also soldered the connections. Worked like a charm!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank connection for 73' gas heater Reply with quote

It is pretty small line, maybe 3/16" or 5mm. I don't think there was a filter there originally other than the sock screen in the tank. Use either 30r14 or 30r9 hose in order to handle the ethanol laced fuel.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank connection for 73' gas heater Reply with quote

I originally put separate filters after the T and had some trouble, it was like the heater pump would lose its prime and the heater would time out before it got going. I changed it to a single filter before the T reasoning that the running engine would keep fuel without air bubbles present at the pump inlet, and haven't had trouble since.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank connection for 73' gas heater Reply with quote

This should help
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel tank connection for 73' gas heater Reply with quote

Thank you that will be a big help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: