Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have a 74 standard (production date dec 73, but everything seems to be 74 model year) that has been reeking of gas recently so I decided to replace my fuel filler line and sending using seal (kit from CSP). The seal went without a hitch, but now that I have the filler hose off, I am have quite a bit of trouble getting the new one on. It seems to me that the neck of the gas tank is not only too large but also has been bent a bit so that it is now an oval shape. As far as I can tell, that shouldnt be the case. On top of that I dont seem to have the vent on the front diver side of the tank as I should and instead have a secondary bung. This leads me to believe I may have a slightly incorrect tank, but the filler hose I am replacing was on it just fine it seemed like (and it turns out its still totaly fine with clean sealed internals). So, do you guys have any advice for getting the hose on the tank? What about keeping the thin rubber seals in place on the intermediary neck when placing the tubes on that one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the help,
-esk

EDIT:

Alright guys, so I got the still good hoses back on the mount, and I think I have discovered the two likely causes of the absolutely nauseating fuel smell. The first is, apparently someone removed the breather hose and just capped the t fitting. The second is that the gasket on my fuel cap is entierly shot. I hope replacing those two works, but I may replace the thicker breathing tube as well to be safe.

Last edited by Eskamobob1 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

Yeah - need pics....and usually the smaller "overflow" lines that run aling the main fuel inlet are the culprit. Replace those as well. I think its usually 5/8" ID.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

If your tank has an oval neck then welcome to the world of the 1968 tank, make that partial year 68 tank, make that non obtainable fuel filler hose 68 tank. But not all is lost, if you do have the early 68 tank there is a 2-1/4 to 2" hose available, the 2-1/4 fits the oval. Here is a picture of a 68 tank in my 71.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Yeah - need pics....and usually the smaller "overflow" lines that run aling the main fuel inlet are the culprit. Replace those as well. I think its usually 5/8" ID.

pics are posted. And yah, I know the tank was replaced about 10 years ago now due to rot and I suspect the main couplers were replaced then, but idk for sure. I would expect the secondary breather that runs parallel was replaced at the same time, but the clamps currently on it look factory so maybe not.

busman78 wrote:
If your tank has an oval neck then welcome to the world of the 1968 tank, make that partial year 68 tank, make that non obtainable fuel filler hose 68 tank. But not all is lost, if you do have the early 68 tank there is a 2-1/4 to 2" hose available, the 2-1/4 fits the oval. Here is a picture of a 68 tank in my 71.

Well shit. I think you are right. Here is a pick of an identical tank to mine (with the bung instead of breather in the front diver side of the tan)

I luckily got the original hoses back on and sealed up for now, but I think i would still like to replace them to make sure. Question though. I plan to remove my front tank to work on the front end in the next week or two anyways, should I just blow the money and get a non 1/2 year tank that I can plumb propperly? The tank looks alright, but I honestly dont realy know the state of it for sure.

EDIT: Also, does a 68 1/2 tank use a vented cap? Mine is not vented, but I need to replace it anyways since the seal is shot, so either way, what should I look for?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
So, do you guys have any advice for getting the hose on the tank? What about keeping the thin rubber seals in place on the intermediary neck when placing the tubes on that one?

Lube the rubber tubes with alcohol, alcohol gel hand sanitizer, or similar to get them on (I recently added new hoses to my 1970). Maybe get those on before the tank is bolted in, tight fit.

You don't need the thin rubber seals (and don't think that they are available any more anyway).

Eskamobob1 wrote:
I have a 74 standard that has been reeking of gas recently..... The second is that the gasket on my fuel cap is entierly shot.

I've had the similar gas cap seal go bad on my 1971 Super (of course the same week my '88 Mazda truck fuel pump leaked, had 2 gas smells in my garage, not just the one I thought !!!).

Also, you have a bad vacuum cap there in your photo, cap all cracked; fix that with vacuum tube and a wood golf tee or a real rubber cap.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

Use the stock gas cap, run a vent line from the tee (cap on yours now) to exit on left side beside the spare tire. On mine I just tapped the bung put in a vent line.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
So, do you guys have any advice for getting the hose on the tank? What about keeping the thin rubber seals in place on the intermediary neck when placing the tubes on that one?

Lube the rubber tubes with alcohol, alcohol gel hand sanitizer, or similar to get them on (I recently added new hoses to my 1970). Maybe get those on before the tank is bolted in, tight fit.

You don't need the thin rubber seals (and don't think that they are available any more anyway).

Huh. My CPS kit came with them. Though I put the original filler hose back, I did get those sat underneath it before I clamped it down.

Cusser wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
I have a 74 standard that has been reeking of gas recently..... The second is that the gasket on my fuel cap is entierly shot.

I've had the similar gas cap seal go bad on my 1971 Super (of course the same week my '88 Mazda truck fuel pump leaked, had 2 gas smells in my garage, not just the one I thought !!!).

Also, you have a bad vacuum cap there in your photo, cap all cracked; fix that with vacuum tube and a wood golf tee or a real rubber cap.

haha. Yah. What I understand is that they go bad fairly fast compared to the other components. As for the vacuum cap, as I understand it, that cap shouldn't even be there in the first place and have a hose run off of it and out of the car. I managed to pick up a new cap and a bunch of hose today, so my plan is to replace that cap with the hose tonight.

busman78 wrote:
Use the stock gas cap, run a vent line from the tee (cap on yours now) to exit on left side beside the spare tire. On mine I just tapped the bung put in a vent line.

I got some hose and plan on running that tonight. I actually ran into the guy that use to work on the car for the previous owner at a VW shop in my area today and he said that with the t-line installed there shouldn't be a need to tap the bung and that it was mostly left due to the old tooling, so we will see how it works. Unfortunately I still dont have a good line on the 17mm tubing. I can get some after an hour plus drive, but no where close to me seems to have it.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

What 17mm tube? The overflow line is like 15mm but the US PCV hose in 19/32 is a perfect fit and available at every auto parts store. If you run the "T" in the overfill hose then you do not need to tap the bung, I didn't want a 4mm vapor line snaking across the trunk.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
What 17mm tube? The overflow line is like 15mm but the US PCV hose in 19/32 is a perfect fit and available at every auto parts store. If you run the "T" in the overfill hose then you do not need to tap the bung, I didn't want a 4mm vapor line snaking across the trunk.

The spec I found on that line was 17x2mm which I took to mean 17mm id. Does that actualy mean 17mm OD with 1mm thickness? If so, ill just pick some 1/2" up tonight on my way home to make sure I replace everything I can
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler line replacement help/do I have the right gas tank? Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:

The spec I found on that line was 17x2mm which I took to mean 17mm id. Does that actualy mean 17mm OD with 1mm thickness? If so, ill just pick some 1/2" up tonight on my way home to make sure I replace everything I can

Check out the second post (mine) on this thread. I listed out the various threads I used to re-construct my fuel vapor/venting system. Those threads I list also have the hose sizes.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695770&highlight=
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: