Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Current stock muffler options?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oibovveroi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

Are the ill fitting dansk the best stock option? That’s about all I’m seeing at the usual online parts supply.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

There is a NOS Leistritz made in W. Germany in the classifieds to check on .
oibovveroi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
There is a NOS Leistritz made in W. Germany in the classifieds to check on .

The 40hp exhaust is compatible to the 1600DP?
Please excuse my ignorance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

no, 40 HP are narrower.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

The Leistritz come up regularly on ebay for ~$100. I bought several.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

oibovveroi wrote:
Are the ill fitting dansk the best stock option? That’s about all I’m seeing at the usual online parts supply.

Ill fitting is a very bad option, an old used correct fitting one is better. dont settle for ill fitting.

Bug On.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
no, 40 HP are narrower.

yes, short stroke verses long stroke cranks change over all motor width, hence side to side distence between the heads and their exhaust ports. the 40 horse had a shorter stroke.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
oibovveroi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

Is there a difference between one online dealers $75. Dansk and the other $135 dansk muffler?
I have a German one. But it’s from the 70s maybe early 80s and very crusty. No holes, but I don’t know if it still has any inerds left.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

The ad I speak of is in the 1968 and up section . I did a search for muffler in the 1968 parts section . The sticker on the muffler says 1300 cc to 1600 cc . I do know a 40 hp muffler won't fit a 1600 engine .
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

I just installed a Bosal unit, great fit, sounds a bit throatier than an original German one but still gets a bit of that original "fweem" under acceleration.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cheburashka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

Just got a Dansk in the mail. I don't know what people are complaining about. The parts lined up pretty well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course, that took a little persuasion. . .

And quite a bit of heat and brass.

[/img]

Last edited by Cheburashka on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

Cheburashka wrote:
Just got a Dansk in the mail. I don't know what people are complaining about. The parts lined up pretty well.
Of course, that took a little persuasion. . .
And quite a bit of heat and brass.

I just don't believe anyone should have to do THAT MUCH work to an exhaust to get a good fit.. straight out of the box. I bought a Dansk exhaust for my early bay and it was the same way. It needed too much work and I was never happy with how my engine performed with it on there. My biggest pet peeve is the fresh air pre-heaters. They were so far off that I finally had to yank them out altogether and run the fresh air tubes straight to the heater box. I even tried to use the preheaters from a stock VW muffler, but the pipe shape and geometry is different enough that they wouldn't go on the aftermarket exhaust at all.

There are no good stock options that I personally know of.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

Just buy this one and be done with it:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2187438
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

I just checked out the reviews on the Bosal muffler. It seems that TDC may be into something. The manufacturer brags about the perfect fit. They also mention quality, too; but a good fit is a good start.

So ... when the time comes, I’m going to give the Bolton a shot. It certainly can’t be worse than Dansk, and it might deliver the quality and fit the mention.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I just installed a Bosal unit, great fit, sounds a bit throatier than an original German one but still gets a bit of that original "fweem" under acceleration.

RockAuto's got those:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1080376&cc=1368851&jsn=387
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

Just a simple question I'm wondering...

Why are all the aftermarket mufflers' preheat tubes for the heat riser on the opposite side as the original VW?

They are all on the right side, the original VW was on the left:

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Just a simple question I'm wondering...

Why are all the aftermarket mufflers' preheat tubes for the heat riser on the opposite side as the original VW?

They are all on the right side, the original VW was on the left:

Maybe the switch was to consolidate the manufacturing lines of the mufflers once the Mexican Beetle got the spin-on filter oil pump? I know that pump/filter combo won't clear the left-hand preheat tube, maybe VW just began making all of the mufflers with it on the right to avoid having two different parts being made? and the aftermarket followed suit as well?

Just a guess
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

FWIW, that tube is actually the return. On the pictured exhaust, the manifold actually gets it’s heat from the port directly on the #2 exhaust flange, it then flows through the heat riser then through that tube to return to the exhaust flow at the lower pressure side of the exhaust system.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
FWIW, that tube is actually the return. On the pictured exhaust, the manifold actually gets it’s heat from the port directly on the #2 exhaust flange, it then flows through the heat riser then through that tube to return to the exhaust flow at the lower pressure side of the exhaust system.

Aah.
So then would it make any difference that the return tube is on the opposite side on all these aftermarket units?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Current stock muffler options? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Aah.
So then would it make any difference that the return tube is on the opposite side on all these aftermarket units?

No sir, the manifold just needs one side to have a higher pressure on one side so that the exhaust wants to flow through it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: