Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Samba Book Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Coach Wooden and Me - Our 50 year friendship on and off the court by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. A really good rememberence book. The relationship between a 5'10" white guy from Illinois and a 7'2" black man from New York. Very touching. Not really deep but a pleasant read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

White Trash- the 400 year untold history of class in America by Nancy Isenberg, New York Times bestseller. Yes it’s a history book might put some to sleep but I like history........ answers the question “whatever happened to Billy Redden” ?
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I finally finished "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett book on cd. I'm not driving as much as I used to. I've already read book two (World without End) in the series so now it is on to "Column of Fire" to finish off this Ken Follett trilogy. This trilogy is a multigenerational story of people living in the fictional town of Kingsbridge, England starting around 1140ac.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

“Waiting for an Army to Die” the tragedy of Agent Orange by Fred A Wilcox

Documented history of what the U. S. Govt did to ignore a situation they created. A friend of mine died from this and nobody believed what he was saying. WTF it’s all but forgotten now. J. Stewart R.I.P. my friend.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Into the wild by Jon Krakauer, true story in April 1992 a young man from a well to do family hitchhikes to Alaska and walks alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name Cris McCandless. He had given 25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the money in his wallet and invented a new life for himself. Four months later he was found dead.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Not sure if any of you folks saw this, but it sent my wife and daughter into a tizzy last night. I am a reader, but not like my English-teacher-turned-school-principal-bookworm wife and nose-to-the-grindstone-bookworm-almost-13-year-old-daughter.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/

An interesting list, a fun ballot, and a great watch.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Not sure if any of you folks saw this, but it sent my wife and daughter into a tizzy last night. I am a reader, but not like my English-teacher-turned-school-principal-bookworm wife and nose-to-the-grindstone-bookworm-almost-13-year-old-daughter.

I scored 27.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I scored 27.

I hit less than 10. But the interest is higher.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Devil’s Financial Dictionary by Jason Zweig.

Proved my theory that we just gamble on Wall Street, some just pay more to do it. Reads like a book, indexes like a dictionary. Hilarious
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:

Proved my theory that we just gamble on Wall Street, some just pay more to do it. Reads like a book, indexes like a dictionary. Hilarious

Whenever I get a call from another 24 year old financial planner I tell them they can keep anything they make over the SP500, but they pay me for performing under.

No takers.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

Whenever I get a call from another 24 year old financial planner I tell them they can keep anything they make over the SP500, but they pay me for performing under.

No takers.

So you’ve read the book! Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

No takers.

So you’ve read the book! Laughing

I haven’t but sounds like I should if I want to get a shot of re-affirmation

Very Happy

Warren Buffet and his challenge were my inspiration
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Steven King "On Writing". Interesting enough that Ill finish it!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

... a life changing Zen Buddhist read - Emptiness Dancing... emptiness is defined as, letting go of life's fixed ideas.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives

P.S. I am so happy to come back after close to a decade and see you all still reading! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

“The stranger in the Woods” The extraordinary story of the last true hermit by Michael Finkel

In 1986 Christopher Knight drives into the rural Maine woods disappeared and remained alone for the next 27 years. A meditation on solitude,wilderness,and survival— The Wall Street Journal.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Alien Abduction Files; the most startling cases of human-alien contact ever reported by Kathleen Marden and Denise Stoner.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
The Alien Abduction Files; the most startling cases of human-alien contact ever reported by Kathleen Marden and Denise Stoner.

My brother told me he had seen a ufo during the mid 1970s while sitting behind his house smoking a doobie. I never believed his story, still don’t.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Going Up the Country by Yvonne Daley. How the hippies, dreamers, freaks and radicals moved to Vermont in the 60s and changed the state from staunch conservative to crazy liberal.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
67_13Deluxe wrote:

My brother told me he had seen a ufo during the mid 1970s while sitting behind his house smoking a doobie. I never believed his story, still don’t.

Was it the doobie that makes you not believe his story? Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: