Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Hey All,
I'm looking for a space to store and work on my bus in Brooklyn or Queens NYC. Anyone out there with any shared spaces or leads on one, info would be much appreciated. I've been searching craigslist and other places for a while and coming up short.
Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus Reply with quote

My nephew lived in the city - a serious interstate BMW cyclist and kept his Beemer in close-by New Jersey and drove there to play and to ride... hope you find what you're looking for.
Might look on thesamba for another VW fan, kinda' close by you and see if he'll share his space.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Garage space is a treasured commodity in NY, let alone a garage one can work in. Best expand your network of friends, and be willing to part with some cash.
I kept 2 cars on the street in Brooklyn because even the cheapest open lot space was 300 a month, and after loosing the private stash spot for the bug (empty parking garage in Manhattan, now condos) moved it to CT.
Good luck. There are some streets in LIC that lark parking limits, you just gotta find them.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus Reply with quote

we once went to The Empire State Building to see it... was gone 3 hours and the underground parking was $100 -
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus Reply with quote

I was under the impression garage spots cost more than a midwest 3 bedroom house.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
we once went to The Empire State Building to see it...

I saw it in a movie...with a giant ape on it.

Actually, my first day of big boy work, we were to meet at company HQ in downtown Phoenix (1975); I was to make $150 a week, I couldn't afford to pay for parking there or close by, so I parked my 1970 VW 1.25 miles away on the street. It turned out that after 2 hours they told us to drive to Scottsdale to the new lab, which had free parking at least. 2 decades later they added coverage to the spaces.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus Reply with quote

My avatar is the '59 in the empty parking garage.
Our office occupied the top floor, and keeping the car there was a perk.
In Manhattan, people pay serious cash for a spot, maybe 5, 600 a month if they can get one in a garage. Brooklyn, Queens, it is less, the crappier the area, the lower the price.
You gotta get creative and find someone with industrial space where you can tuck it in a corner and have access. Outside is cheaper, but the bus will be subject to looting or theft. Inside is better but still can be an issue.
If you want antique insurance you have to have locked indoor storage, and it has to be at the same address.
I passed on a gift split camper years ago as a student because I had no money, it would have been on the street, and the area i lived in was a shit bed of theivery.
Common thread of car sale ads in NY involve "I lost my storage"
NomadStudioBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brooklyn/Queens Garage/work space for Split Window Bus Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and stories everyone. It's fun to hear.

I've lived in Brooklyn for years and I'm quite familar with all the ins and outs of the way things are. Yes, spaces are hard to come by, super expensive, and it definitely helps to have friends and/or know someone. Like I said, I've been at it for a while. I know all the places to look, but I haven't tried asking on here. Wink

That said. If anyone has an actual space or lead on a space, that would be helpful. Cheers Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: