Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SO42 110v inlet plug info
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: SO42 110v inlet plug info Reply with quote

I am trying to find some information on the placement for the rear inlet plug on a 65ish SO42. I have come across some info here but cant find it now.

I want to place a plug on my 64 and need the height and hole size would be nice also. When did the plug become available? I am assuming my June 64 is to early to have had one but I want 110v power...

Found this plug that is close enough for now
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/4937

Some random pic of plug placement
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: SO42 110v inlet plug info Reply with quote

That Leviton fixture is a perfect modern-day replacement. I have one here to update my SO-42. The photo you provided shows the inlet "city power" fixture above the left rear taillight. This was correct on 1965 model year through early 1967 model year Westy Campmobiles. The fixture was moved around January? of 1967 when VW started putting the new twin back-up light fixtures above each of the rear taillights, necessitating the relocation of that "city power" fixture to the left side of the Bus, just to the rear of the front left wheel arch.

Mine is a late Jan 1967 Campmobile, so I can't help with measurements, but someone ought to shortly...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: SO42 110v inlet plug info Reply with quote

Unfortunately Leviton has replaced the 4937 with a newer version that is nothing like it. I have not found a 4937 yet. Leviton still lists it on their web site and if you order one from most suppliers you just get the new model.
I am just going to leave a cord in the engine compartment for now. Less convenient but looks better.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SO42 110v inlet plug info Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/120-Volt-Weather-Male-Recep...amp;sr=8-2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SO42 110v inlet plug info Reply with quote

Lots of ways to get shore power without cutting a big hole over your tailight.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SO42 110v inlet plug info Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Lots of ways to get shore power without cutting a big hole over your tailight.

I agree- like just below the left taillight inside the engine bay. Pop open the decklid to use it- nobody cares if a power wire is tucked in there when hooked up.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: