Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whats the straightest split bus you have seen?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Hi,

Just been watching videos on Youtube of some of the shows you guys have in America. The shows over there look amazing.

I watched a video of the "2017 33rd annual VW spring meet at Kelley Park, California" and I noticed one van that looked really straight. Hard to tell in a video when its only on for a few seconds but it made me think, there are so many vans that are painted after a resto that look wavy, and to me, there is nothing worse as it lets the van down.

The van I seen is 7 min 15 sec, and 7 min 21 sec on this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRhlJDcIHHw - Does anyone have any more details of this van by any chance?

I know it take a LONG time getting a van straight. I restore classic cars (mainly Volkswagens) for a living and customers dont always understand how long it takes to get them arrow straight, or even care if they are wavy as long as they are shiny. But Im restoring my 61 mango and Im hoping I can get it as close to perfect as possible.

Anyway, I was wondering what the straightest van you have seen is? I think one of the straightest I have seen is 'Spikes' van over here in the UK but even the 'best' vans in the Volksworld show over here are not perfect, including the last one we had on display:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To be honest, I wasn't happy with this as its not as straight as Id like, but we made a massive loss on the paintwork so couldn't spend any longer on it.

Anyway, Im falling asleep and talking rubbish... Just wondered whats the straightest vans you guys have seen are? Any pics?

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Hello Mabbo, welcome. There are some - and I am among them, who would consider perfectly straight to be over- restored. They weren't perfectly straight coming out of the factory brand new. Here in the states we call them Buses rather than vans.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Hello Mabbo, welcome. There are some - and I am among them, who would consider perfectly straight to be over- restored. They weren't perfectly straight coming out of the factory brand new. Here in the states we call them Buses rather than vans.

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I understand why people would have that opinion Smile For me though, theres a difference between factory ripples, and bad prep ripples... If that makes sense?

Anyway, my "bus" will be over restored Wink

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

let's see if you can impress us Wink . i am not sure if a mango is really going to show off a perfectly straight bus?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

i agree. Factory waves in the body are like a well rounded woman with curves in the right places.

mabbo are you a Wolves fan? If yes, welcome back to the Premier League however i am sorry that Manchester City will beat you!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

the best way to show off straightness would be to paint it black, because black shows most all sins on the finish of a car. If you want it to stay straight, don't ever drive it. The wave will come back if you drive the bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Yep, on some of the curves up here in the mountains I can hear the body flexing on some of our curves. While I applaud the effort to get a panel as smooth as possible I feel that time/effort could be spent elsewhere. I'm sure there are many who do not feel that way. I'm ok with that.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

As those super straight busses get that whole long wall skim coated (no pun) with filler then blocked to perfection afterwards. Only way I see getting it arrow straight with minimal filler is the guys that are doing a brand new long wall and panel bond gluing it versus spot welding it in place.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

My bus also was extremely straight after the paint job, with a minimum of bondo. But now I drive it, there have become more than one slightest curves at the long side. That's just the decision you have to take, keep it straight or just use it. Wink

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Hey, these were mostly commercial vehicles at the time and they were never perfect when they came from the factory.

I love nicely restored buses, but I prefer buses which tell their history.

I don't believe in better than new.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

I remember seeing this bus in Person at a show in CA a few years ago and thinking how straight it was. A highroof has a huge long panel and this one was straight.
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Yep, on some of the curves up here in the mountains I can hear the body flexing on some of our curves. While I applaud the effort to get a panel as smooth as possible I feel that time/effort could be spent elsewhere. I'm sure there are many who do not feel that way. I'm ok with that.

Im considering fitting belly pans to mine even though they wouldnt have been fitted from the factory, just to try help put some strength into the body.

Skim wrote:
As those super straight busses get that whole long wall skim coated (no pun) with filler then blocked to perfection afterwards. Only way I see getting it arrow straight with minimal filler is the guys that are doing a brand new long wall and panel bond gluing it versus spot welding it in place.

The PGSG I posted pics of above had a new long side bonded on and minimal filler, then polyester primer. Its not perfect:

This photo makes it look worse than it is, but you can see why Im not totally happy with it. I wish Id have skimmed the whole panel edge to edge, and spend less time prepping the chassis:

mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:
My bus also was extremely straight after the paint job, with a minimum of bondo. But now I drive it, there have become more than one slightest curves at the long side. That's just the decision you have to take, keep it straight or just use it. Wink

Nice looking bus mate. Did it need much metalwork before paint, just out of interest?

mdege wrote:
Hey, these were mostly commercial vehicles at the time and they were never perfect when they came from the factory.

I love nicely restored buses, but I prefer buses which tell their history.

I don't believe in better than new.

I agree that its nice to see a vehicle that shows its history. My oval is all OG paint and I love it... But a lot of them need blasting / restoring so the history is lost Sad
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

sled wrote:

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

I remember seeing this bus in Person at a show in CA a few years ago and thinking how straight it was. A highroof has a huge long panel and this one was straight.

Those two look really nice. I can see why some would call them over restored, but IMO you cant beat the look of arrow straight bus Smile
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

JimJonkers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

My only restored bus, pretty straight but i prefer them unrestored....(like the one behind it)

EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
EeVeeWee wrote:

Nice looking bus mate. Did it need much metalwork before paint, just out of interest?

I was quite a job, for about nearly three years now.
See topic here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Rustyscrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

If I'm correct, this bus had a rollover accident before restored to this condition. I've seen this one many times as the owner lives near me. He does amazing work, and most of what he does is "over restored", as I personally prefer.
marksch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the straightest split bus you have seen? Reply with quote

Mine is pretty straight. Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: