Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Components Maximum Potential..
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Engine Components Maximum Potential.. Reply with quote

Just wondering what operating range some of the insides of an engine are getting over there life span with a VW Stroker Engine. And yes this is all hypothetical, and like to hear from the experienced in what they have seen and ran.

Point is like a Crank for example. Does it operate at a 85% range before failure?

Hope y'all are having a good day. RB
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Components Maximum Potential.. Reply with quote

My 2110 stroker had done 30,000 and was perfect inside when it was stripped down. Only pulled it apart to fit a hotter cam and heads
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Components Maximum Potential.. Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
My 2110 stroker had done 30,000 and was perfect inside when it was stripped down. Only pulled it apart to fit a hotter cam and heads

Brand of crank?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Components Maximum Potential.. Reply with quote

Jpaull, are you looking at the longevity of the life span or stress upon compression firing? But yea, brands sure... Seen this topic in other
endeavors.. RB
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Components Maximum Potential.. Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Jpaull, are you looking at the longevity of the life span or stress upon compression firing? But yea, brands sure... Seen this topic in other
endeavors.. RB

I know you are looking for the "breaking point" but mileage is easier. Its safe to say, within 30,000 miles that crank has seen some hard use mixed with the miles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Components Maximum Potential.. Reply with quote

Most everything in a good bottom end (full-flow) and P/C will outlast the cam-valve train related stuff.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Components Maximum Potential.. Reply with quote

What is being defined as "lifespan?" Someone who is building a mileage daily may pick parts and build mild compression, full flow, filter external cooler never spin above 4500 put easy miles balance entire assembly dynamically, religiously adjust and maintain and make 100k. The alternative high cr, cheap full flow, not maintain as well, poor balance drive it hard spin to 7k and only get 10 on same parts
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Components Maximum Potential.. Reply with quote

This question will be too hard for anyone to give a definite answer. If I tell you a Chinese crank lasts 50 passes at 5,000-8,000, the question then would be, "What pistons was I using? What compression? What was the weight of my reciprocating assembly? How well were my parts balanced? What bearings was I using? How accurate was my line bore? Was it a crankcase rigidity problem or a crankshaft quality issue?

When anyone other than the manufacture gives you a lifespan time, take it with a grain of salt. There are too many possible reasons for failure, but people often look at the broken part as the culprit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: