Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Axle Replacement
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Is there a way to replace the CV Axle assembly without having to remove the entire rear wheels and brakes? Have a 74 Type-181 that the boots are shredded (I think they are the original) it's dry (no grease leaking) and had been packed with dirt. Just decided to replace rather replace it for now. That way I can continue to drive while rebuilding the originals. There are plenty of videos but all seem to begin with the axle off the car.

Any visuals of removal or installation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

I have a pair of these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

I would also like this info, my driver side inner rear boot is split, still got grease, but I don't want to tear the whole wheel/brake assembly apart. Is'n't there an easier way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

No need to remove the brakes or wheels. Take your time and clean all the gunk and dirt out of the holes in the bolts. Spray a little rust remover on them and let them sit a while. Take a hammer and drive the allen or 12 point into the bolts. It is a pain when they strip out but you can get a pair of vice grips on them. Just don't rush. Just hit the CV's after all the bolts are out and they will compress enough to drop them out.
GB
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Remove the six bolts on both ends of the axle and it drops out. There's no need to remove the wheel or brakes.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

it's also a lot easier to so if the car is on ramps rather than jacked up. And the advise about throughly cleaning the heads of the bolts is spot on; the smallest amount of dirt inside will cause the Allen head to slip and maybe strip it.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

With ramps, you can't rotate the wheels to bring each bolt into a convenient position...or am I missing something. Clean clean clean! And undo the bolts. Then clean clean clean. It's a really simple procedure...if you have the patience to clean clean clean. Did mine in my dirt driveway with an afternoon breeze...not real happy about that...sigh. Cheers!
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

I guess I'm spoiled as I have always had a lift to do them on. The first thing I did when we closed the Shop a few years back was tell the Boss that I was taking My lift home. He said you get it outa here and it is yours. Flat bed tow truck and a few hours later and it now rest in my back yard on the pad at the back garage.
Yes the wheels have to be off the ground and the car on JACK STANDS. Have heard of to many people Killed by cars falling on them. And one was a very good Friend by a 911. Cement Blocks don't count!!!!!
GB
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Rev. Scott wrote:
With ramps, you can't rotate the wheels to bring each bolt into a convenient position...or am I missing something. Clean clean clean! And undo the bolts. Then clean clean clean. It's a really simple procedure...if you have the patience to clean clean clean. Did mine in my dirt driveway with an afternoon breeze...not real happy about that...sigh. Cheers!

Revered, I had enough space on mine to slip a wrench and allen socket with the car on ramps. I have tried it with jacks , but the play on the wheels made applying force more difficult
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Deckard wrote:
Rev. Scott wrote:

Revered, I had enough space on mine to slip a wrench and allen socket with the car on ramps. I have tried it with jacks , but the play on the wheels made applying force more difficult

I lack patience, and questionably skills. Go with what works. I like to spin the wheel to bring each bolt into a position. Then, I do work in the dirt with an afternoon breeze...so what do I know? More than one way to skin a cat...Cheers!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

I put it on ramps or at least a few blocks. Loosen the three bottom bolts on the outside joint and the three top ones on the inside joint. Then I jack the suspension up and rotate the wheel 180° and set it back down on the ramp to get the other bolts.

You can do the same by just driving one side up on a curb and rolling it forward or backward to get to the second set of bolts.

Having a 4" long hex or triple square adapter helps as they clear the boot better than a short adapter and an extension.

Torque the crap out of the bolts when you go back together, the Vanagon spec for the same hardware is 33 or 36 ft*lbs IIRC.
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Sounds simple enough to DIY the heck out of it. Thank you all for the insightful reply's.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Finally got the axle out today, thanks guys. Took me 3 tries, as in lubed, stripped one with vise grips and star driver on a ratchet. Lubed again that evening, lubed again friday evening, got 6 to move with vise grips and driver on ratchet at the same time, lubed again, cleaned like hell got last 6 today. I have never done this job, now that axle is on work bench, do I remove the circle on the end of the shaft to get the bearing off. Thats my thought, then can slide off rubber boots, that are destroyed anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

I meant to say "remove the circlip", not circle.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Yes remove the clips and be very careful not to let the bearings come out. Hold them very flat when cleaning the grease out. Take your time!!! If they do come apart don;t panic just take your time to get the bearings back into the cages. Have fun it is a very dirty and messy job. Best to wear gloves as you will be cleaning the grease out of everything for days.
GB
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Have a full roll of paper towels available for cleaning the joints and a trash can to through the dirty towels into.

You need a way to beat the axle out of the inner race. If you have a heavy vice available then great, if not the you will have to improvise.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Also make sure you use a brass hammer or if you use a regular hammer that you hit the axles in the center and not on the edges as you can damage them and they will never come apart. We used to just take one CV off as you can take all the old rubber and other parts off by just sliding them up and off the axle. Have fun it is a dirty job but when you are finished well worth it.
GB
DIMMA03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Today was the day. Thought to replace the shocks since it was all in one place. The old CV’s came off easy, just as you discribed. However , when I put the new ones on the tire only turns a quarter of the way then locks up. Any ideas here? It’s like the are not adjusting to the angle. Thanks!
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

Are they hanging down at a very steep angle? If so jack the axle up a little and try to turn them again. Sometimes they will hang up a little, do not force them you can break the cages that the bearings ride in. Just rock them back and forth a little at a time. If not is it both sides. Were the shocks off when you tried it. The angle can be to much.
GB
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

I am at the point of not being able to get the shaft off the inner bearing race, got a pretty good vise, but mounted to a workbench, so get a bit of bounce, still stuck. I will talk to our machinists at work tomorrow, they may have a bearing puller.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Axle Replacement Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I am at the point of not being able to get the shaft off the inner bearing race, got a pretty good vise, but mounted to a workbench, so get a bit of bounce, still stuck. I will talk to our machinists at work tomorrow, they may have a bearing puller.

A press with an arbor plate or bearing splitter will work well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: