Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon fuse box cover, '86-91 (instructions, notes, pics)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Vanagon fuse box cover, '86-91 (instructions, notes, pics) Reply with quote

Several recent threads WRT fuses got me wondering if recent Vanagon owners are aware of these simple fusebox details. And perhaps some old Vanagon owners too. '85 and older has a different fusebox and cover. I searched theSamba and didn't see this info, (better repeated than absent) Wink

If you rarely access your fuses, it's easy to forget how to remove/replace the 86-91 Vanagon fuse panel cover. Its confusing because it has two round pegs that appear to be "hinge pegs" that it might rotate on, to engage the tab below. And the cover is round which suggests that it rotates on the pegs then clip at the lower locking tab.

The cover does NOT rotate on the round hooks/pegs.
Installing/removing the cover is all vertical.

To remove, push the cover upward, which flexes the lower plastic tab. You push upward until you can pull the two hooks outward, off the top of the round pegs, and top of the cover comes off rearward.

To replace cover, hook the central plastic tab onto the steel tab first, push up on the cover, flexing the central plastic tab. Then set the left and right hooks forward onto their round pegs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note on the inside of the fusebox the circuit / functions of the (numbered) fuses are listed. Fuse#9 and #10 are the headlight fuses. These small embossed numbers are not easy to see while you are under the steering wheel, but the information is there!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fuse box cover, '86-91 Reply with quote

i've always said that anyone who wants this panel cover has obviously never used one. what a pain in the arse. must be the same person who designed the heat & air controls Laughing

hey Sodo, you're missing the little plastic fuse puller tool thingy (if that's your panel pictured). and why haven't you upgraded to the #99 programmable wiper relay?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fuse box cover, '86-91 Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
i've always said that anyone who wants this panel cover has obviously never used one. what a pain in the arse.

If you think the van's panel cover is a PITA, you haven't had the displeasure of accessing fuses & relays on other VW's: Cabriolets (learn yoga), Jetta IV's (fuses are easy, relays not so much), and my new favorite, Golf VII, which requires taking half the dash apart (blown fuse out on the road?, better have a screwdriver with you otherwise you're calling AAA). Mad

The van is an absolute treat compared to ^those. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fuse box cover, '86-91 (instructions, notes, pics) Reply with quote

OMG Sodo...why didn't you post this ~5 years ago when for $25 I replaced my old cover (with 2 broken
hooks) for an OG replacement and almost immediately broke off another one of the hooks...???

Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

For the foreseeable future, I'll just keep the duct tape holding it in place. Yeah, I HATE that thing... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fuse box cover, '86-91 (instructions, notes, pics) Reply with quote

Nice explanation sodo!

Now I'll have to go out to my van and put that darn cover on properly, as it has been hanging crooked by one hook for at least 7 years because I could not figure out your simple explanation Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fuse box cover, '86-91 (instructions, notes, pics) Reply with quote

yeah, i too thought the damn thing rotated back like an old bread drawer or something. couldn't figure it out and sorta decided it didn't rotate. my cover legend doesn't match my fuse layout... it's a scab from another van but i like it to cover all my 'fuse taps' i've added for gauges, USB outlet, horn relay for air horns, and the feed to the bottom of the #3 fuse from my aux batt for the light and radio circuits.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon fuse box cover, '86-91 (instructions, notes, pics) Reply with quote

Sodo,
Your instructions are far more precise as compared to the owner's manual which says:

Removing cover:
Detach cover at front, swing downwards and take it off.

Installing cover:
Hang cover in the eyes of the fuse box bracket. Swing it upwards and press
it firmly into position.

I just went out a practiced a few times.

Thanks for the nice reminder so next time when we blow our fuse Evil or Very Mad

Craig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: