Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Hi .... New (to me) Thing (1974) owner here. Also new to this site.

I am having an issue with the horn panel you push on the steering wheel. It rattles a lot. There is a lot of play in it and I am not sure how to tighten it up so it pushes a little on the 4 springs so there is some compression and the rattle will go away. I'll try to add a few photos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have figured out how to get it off ...

It's just a little sloppy when it's on and the rattling is driving me nuts.

I hope this is in the right place and I am following protocols Smile

Graham
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

I think that is the wrong horn button you have on that steering wheel. You have a later model horn button on an earlier model steering wheel.

Look at the wheel and see the (4) brass male horn contacts. Then look at the horn button and the springs are too wide (too large) as well as the holes are very wide and do not match the male parts on the wheel.

The springs should be much smaller. If you go to thingparts.com look at the horn button photos or view them in the gallery or in the classified section to see the differences. It looks like yours is mismatched to me.

http://www.thingparts.com/horn-button-fits-up-to-mid-74/

Blow up the photos on this one and you can see the differences
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2112538
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

I think you may have some broken tabs on the plastic mounts on the steering wheel or on the button itself. Most of the time it is the mounts on the wheel. The button and wheel look like they match to me. Oh and Welcome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I don't see where there are any broken tabs, so maybe the model year is the issue.

Graham
Tush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

just thought I'd add some detailed pictures to see if anyone else can confirm ...

I think I see where the whole plate (button?) is held in .... looks like little tabs that are inside the springs (makes sense). They feel like they are there, but when I push on the button to connect them, nothing. Maybe they are too big.

Anyone with a 1974 know what the back of theirs looks like?

Thanks,

Graham
Tush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Here are a couple of photos from the steering wheel side...

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Look at the classified ad I posted above and the photo with all of the horn buttons turned over and increase the size. The one in the upper right is what you need. Look how it is different from what you currently have.

Contact Mike Basso at thingparts.com and show him your photos and he will get you what you need

You currently have a horn button mismatch to your steering wheel. You have a late model button with an earlier steering wheel.
Tush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

ok thanks.

I couldn't really blow it up so it was tough.

Thanks for your help.

I'll send them a message.

Graham
Tush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
I think that is the wrong horn button you have on that steering wheel. You have a later model horn button on an earlier model steering wheel.

Look at the wheel and see the (4) brass male horn contacts. Then look at the horn button and the springs are too wide (too large) as well as the holes are very wide and do not match the male parts on the wheel.

The springs should be much smaller. If you go to thingparts.com look at the horn button photos or view them in the gallery or in the classified section to see the differences. It looks like yours is mismatched to me.

http://www.thingparts.com/horn-button-fits-up-to-mid-74/

Blow up the photos on this one and you can see the differences
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2112538

Just re-read your post ... later model button on an earlier model steering wheel. It is a '74 (vin 1842221123). I guess it's possible the steering wheel was changed...

I just want to get this right before I order a '74 button that also won't fit :-/
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

I must be missing something, but my '74 late model wheel and button looks just like yours. I have the large springs with the same mounts that you have. I don't have the smaller springs on mine. I took the mount off and tried it in the hole of the button and it a very loose fit, but when it's all together it works. I hate to tell you to push harder on the button when you are putting it together because you can break the plastic backing on the wheel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

With that vin number you should have the newer wheel as well.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

My vin is even later than your starting with 184246..., and it has the earlier steering shaft and steering wheel. I am the third owner and it it is the original steering shaft and wheel on the car.

These Things were pieced together with a lot of extra parts from VW so you cannot rely strictly on the YOM, plus there are cut off dates within the year. It happens with Type 1s as well. The steering shaft changes with the splines for the steering wheel, and the nut for the steering wheel, and the steering wheel itself right in the middle of 74.

For the third time, I believe your problem is you have an earlier model steering wheel with a 74 and later horn button. I would contact Mike Basso. I will try to post photos of mine when I get home so you can view them and know what you are looking for.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Here are the 2 different mounts, early and late. Which ones do you have?

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Attached is a photo of the horn button you should be using with that steering wheel/wheel cover. The button has 4 small springs in it. These springs rest on the steering wheel in the silver metal round washers. The copper horn contacts on your wheel attach correspond to the holes on the button with the copper contacts. They snap in place on the four corners of the pad.

You can probably unbolt and change the contacts on the wheel to the larger ones that Al Capulco posted above (lower photo), if you want to make the current horn button you have work with the wheel you currently have.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Last year the same thing happened on my 73, the tabs were broken on the steering wheel center piece, it would fall of taking a bump in the road. I bought a new one from one of the big vendors, CIP1, I believe.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Good call, CIP has what you need (look at the photos and compare to what you currently have)

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D415%2D669%2DFRP
iis4isaac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thing - Steering wheel / Horn Rattle Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I know this thread has probably been dead for a while, but I came across it while trying to trouble shoot a non-functioning horn.

short version: no horn on my 73 Thing when i bought it in 2006. added horn, no love. never got around to do much else about it.

This weekend I fixing the fuel gauge and thought I'd start investigating the horn while I had it apart.

I traced the issue back to a few problems.

First, it's missing the horn contact ring. so that's a no brainer, although besides missing the ring I'm missing the bolts. So not sure if there's supposed to be bolts and springs on the contact ring or if it simply bolts in. I'd love some input on this.

Second, while reading this thread I'm a little confused. I have the same set up as the original poster. I have the larger style mounts like the lower one's in Al Capulco's post. And the larger style springs on the horn pad. So is that the correct pairing? Seems like it is, and that's also what Tush show's on his Thing.

And lastly, I want to test out the horn pad so ensure that's good as well before I go searching for parts. I assumed I should be able to test a closed circuit between any of the 4 contacts on the pad as well as to the terminal in the center. Right now, I only have an open circuit. So supposing that is also problematic, is it possible to open up the pad and replace the faulty component? Or do I need to replace the entire pad?

Thank you all for the advice!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: