Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gripster2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

I just inherited a 1969 VW Bus Sundial Camper with baywindow and tintop. I have searched and searched and cannot seem to find anything or the same bus anywhere. Also it was garaged for over 20 years and is all original from original owner and needs renovation which we are excited to do. Does anyone know anything about this particular seemingly "rare" bus? Also I need to get a cover for it, any help with what is the best cover would also be appreciated. I am in Southern California, Orange County if anyone can give me any tips, clubs etc. I am new to the VW bus world so any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

We want Pics. Do not know for I ever saw a Sundial Baw window, but I've seen plenty of Split Window Sundials. I just camped with a '64 DD Sundial over the weekend. There should be plates rivited to the body that have codes you can decode, like the mplate and the Sundial plate.

Edit: googooling "Vw Sundial" brings up a lot of pics and info...is it a high top?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

In the main Bay Window forum index, type "sundial" in the search box, check the "Title Only" box, and hit search. Lots of Sundial postings pop up.

Oh yeah.... and WELCOME TO THE SAMBA! Very Happy

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba

Sundial (Edgemont, CA. USA)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6904558#6904558
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Bus cover
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Link

69-71 NEWBIE

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gripster2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Very nice Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Sweet. If it has not ran in 20 yrs. change the oil and drain the old gas out of the tank. Before you start it. Otherwise you could ruin the engine.
Good luck
Tcash
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Sweet bus looks nice have fun with it
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

that's damn beautiful. I love an obscure camper!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Very strong stench of the 70's?
Sure looks like it from here!
Nice looking bus man, I dig the blue interior. Get that puppy moving!!
Welcome to all the fun, dive in.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gripster2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
We want Pics. Do not know for I ever saw a Sundial Baw window, but I've seen plenty of Split Window Sundials. I just camped with a '64 DD Sundial over the weekend. There should be plates rivited to the body that have codes you can decode, like the mplate and the Sundial plate.

Edit: googooling "Vw Sundial" brings up a lot of pics and info...is it a high top?

I posted photos above for you. Is this a rare sundial camper? I cannot seem to locate this exact camper anywhere. It does have the Sundial plates, how do I know what the codes mean? The sliding door seems to be frozen, likely from sitting in the garage for 20+ years. After researching it seems I have to take the inside panel off which would require the small seat also to be taken out to get to that part of the panel unless you or anyone else has any other ideas??
One more question, does anyone sell replacement curtains or should I have my friend make some for me? These curtains are original and disintegrate on touch. Thank you for your help.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

gripster2 wrote:
richparker wrote:

I posted photos above for you. Is this a rare sundial camper? I cannot seem to locate this exact camper anywhere. It does have the Sundial plates, how do I know what the codes mean? The sliding door seems to be frozen, likely from sitting in the garage for 20+ years. After researching it seems I have to take the inside panel off which would require the small seat also to be taken out to get to that part of the panel unless you or anyone else has any other ideas??
One more question, does anyone sell replacement curtains or should I have my friend make some for me? These curtains are original and disintegrate on touch. Thank you for your help.

Are you sure it is just stuck? does the handle turn? From the inside, you have to push the handle forward to open the door (don't ask, it was the first sliding door design ever. We're lucky they work)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Wow, looks like a real nice score. As far as restoring, just clean it up. They don't come much better than that these days. Don't paint it or anything. You have a good one, take care of it. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

68-73 Sliding Door+Directions+Operating+Operation+Using

Owners manuals
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Anything ever come out of this? I just got one and it seems that bay sundials are extremely rare
gripster2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

Bliss13 wrote:
Anything ever come out of this? I just got one and it seems that bay sundials are extremely rare

I got mine running thanks to Ronnie Feitelson at Bustoration in Lake Havasu. He did a fantastic job helping me restore it and bring back to life. It is indeed a rare bus, Ronnie fell in love with it, he had never seen one like it in all his years with buses. I took it to buses by the bridge in January and had so many people look at it. " I have never seen one like it" was the quote of the day. I am going to get the last few things done to it and fixed from Ronnie this week. Good luck with yours and I'd love to see a photo.
Bliss13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 VW Sundial Camper Owner Reply with quote

gripster2 wrote:
Bliss13 wrote:

I got mine running thanks to Ronnie Feitelson at Bustoration in Lake Havasu. He did a fantastic job helping me restore it and bring back to life. It is indeed a rare bus, Ronnie fell in love with it, he had never seen one like it in all his years with buses. I took it to buses by the bridge in January and had so many people look at it. " I have never seen one like it" was the quote of the day. I am going to get the last few things done to it and fixed from Ronnie this week. Good luck with yours and I'd love to see a photo.

It was my first time seeing this configuration. The pressurized water tank is trippy! I'm searching for the large table right now. If I can get someone to trace theirs for me I'll see if I can make it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: