Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electric fridge?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electric fridge? Reply with quote

The Samba / eurovans might not be the place to get help on electrical questions for a 220v European T4 California, but I'll throw this out there....

Mine is a 1995 T4 transporter California imported from Europe and so the power system is all 220v (220v to the Aux Battery charger which outputs 12v to the Aux Battery).

I'm currently on our inaugural road trip andy only real frustration has been that the Aux Battery drains (I can't use shore power overnight A) as it is often not available and B) I need a special patch cable to adapt the NA plugs and leads) and the fridge dies (this Domestic fridge is 12v 60W not gas powered).

I got to thinking about solar panels today. How would I figure out what scale setup I would need to best charge this Aux Battery

Last edited by pjstock on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electronic fridge? Reply with quote

pjstock wrote:
The Samba / eurovans might not be the place to get help on electrical questions for a 220v European T4 California, but I'll throw this out there....

Mine is a 1995 T4 transporter California imported from Europe and so the power system is all 220v (220v to the Aux Battery charger which outputs 12v to the Aux Battery).

I'm currently on our inaugural road trip andy only real frustration has been that the Aux Battery drains (I can't use shore power overnight A) as it is often not available and B) I need a special patch cable to adapt the NA plugs and leads) and the fridge dies (this Domestic fridge is 12v 60W not gas powered).

I got to thinking about solar panels today. How would I figure out what scale setup I would need to best charge this Aux Battery

If you can get a portable 100w 12v solar panel with controller you should be able to clip it directly onto the battery + and - terminals.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electronic fridge? Reply with quote

pjstock wrote:

You will need roughly the same amp hours per day as the temperature in Celsius, with apologies to engineers for a units problem

So if it’s 82 F, thats 28C, and you need 28 amp hours per day to cool

That’s 330 watt hours. You will need a big solar panel to keep charged
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electric fridge? Reply with quote

I am an electricity ignoramus but if my fridge needs 60w (so I would guess 60whours per hour?) Why would I need 330wh to run it?
evinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electric fridge? Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I think it's that if you need to produce 28 amp hours, you figure out the power you need in watts by multiplying the 28 amp hours by your voltage (12), so 28 x 12 = 336 watts.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electric fridge? Reply with quote

pjstock wrote:
I am an electricity ignoramus but if my fridge needs 60w (so I would guess 60whours per hour?) Why would I need 330wh to run it?

It uses 60 watts, or 60 Joules per second, anytime it is on and the cooling unit s functioning. With the cooling unit off, it will hardly pull anything.

60 watts x 24 hours is 1400 Watt hours per day

It turns out your fridge doesn't use the 60 Watts all the time, only when it is running, so the actual usage will be some fraction of that - somewhere between 1/6- 1/4 depending on how often it is opened, how cold it is set, ambient temperature.
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electric fridge? Reply with quote

So do you still figure I need an approx 330watt solar system?
For a 60wfridge drawing power 1/4 the time.ir is On?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electric fridge? Reply with quote

The duty Cycle is the big unknown, because it depends on

Ambient temperature in Bus
Solar load
How often it is opened
Battery voltage
Temperature setting

Quote:
So do you still figure I need an approx 330watt solar system?
For a 60wfridge drawing power 1/4 the time.ir is On?

330 watt hours is what you need to replace

So if you charge for a 6 hour day, you need about a 50 watt solar output. To attain this, you need a panel rated at 200 watts....half the loss being cosine law and the other half being dirt , shade, bird droppings, tears of Split owners.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar setup to charge Aux Battery to run electric fridge? Reply with quote

Maybe call this outfit https://www.solar-electric.com/marine-rv.html
800 383-0195

Or Renogy - 800 330-8678
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: