Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with first time bus buying
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I buy it?
YES
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
NO
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

Dana Champion wrote:
? There are rumors that cars up to '80 will no longer need CA smog?

Don't tease us like that! Facts, my boy... we need facts. Laughing
Where did you hear this rumor?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

I was looking at a 1977 vehicle for sale on CL., that mentioned it probably won't need to be smogged again. Got my attention. Did a little research. I just found this article that touches on it.

Who knows what the outcome will be on this.?? Very Happy

http://www.motortrend.com/news/california-bill-to-move-smog-exception-from-1975-to-1980-progresses/
SpyderMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

SocalBusFun wrote:
SpyderMike wrote:
SocalBusFun wrote:
Keep on looking...

Is there a county on Craigslist where there r lots of bus for sale?

I have a 1971 tin top I am selling...contact me if interested. I am near Mission Viejo.

Same color.

Mike

hi mike,

I have pmed u my contact info.

thanks!

btw my family lives in rancho santa margarita (in-laws) sooo I could probably go check it out sooon, and u r closer to gary too!

Responded via text to you. I will add a DropBox link to many more pictures in my ad. Contact me if it is of interest. I just checked records and the odometer is around 60.0k mile and the engine was rebuilt at around 51k and the brakes at 48k.
2008 Touareg
2005 Beetle Turbo Vert
plus a few others
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

Dana Champion wrote:
I was looking at a 1977 vehicle for sale on CL., that mentioned it probably won't need to be smogged again. Got my attention. Did a little research. I just found this article that touches on it.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/california-bill-to-move-smog-exception-from-1975-to-1980-progresses/

Thread hijack! Laughing

Yep, that's an interesting Bill. Only thing I don't like about it is that it would require any car so designated to be a 'collector car' with reduced annual mileage and specific registration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Dana Champion wrote:

Thread hijack! Laughing

Yep, that's an interesting Bill. Only thing I don't like about it is that it would require any car so designated to be a 'collector car' with reduced annual mileage and specific registration.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8102752

The bill was moved to "inactive file" on 6/2/16. So the seller is either uninformed, or full of shit.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

That bill and another one a couple years prior had been brought up in state legislature, but both died a quick death from lack of interest, unfortunately.

It was short-sighted of our Caliornia representatives to require all vehicles of 1976 and later to be smogged. In another ten years, when a '76 is 50 years old, no replacement parts will be available, and we will all be left with very cool looking chicken coops, or we will be forced to leave the state.

When I lived in Washington state, the smog requirements were not tied to a model year, but to the age of the vehicle. Any vehicle 25 years and older are exempt from the smog certification process.

But I don't want to move to Washington just to be able to drive my van. If the current US political climate continues, Mexico will be my choice.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Centurion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

Hi there guys

I'm live in southern. I want a decent running bus to cruise and maybe drive to work (20 miles max)
Was told to focus on a 1971 to 1974 bay window for the fact it's easier to work on engine and no smog - and the fact the engine is maybe a better one
What's your thoughts can I go older ? Like 68?
It's seems like the 68- 70s look better. Read something about bigger body and or front end and window

I don't want a cherried out bus. My budget started around 8k. With that in mind It could be primered vehicle
Mainly want a decently reliable bus knowin I am going to have to add some money as I go to keep it running solid. My conmorftable budget is around 7-8k

Is it a bad idea to grab a 4K bus that I know I could dump another 6 k in for a new engine and trans Verus buying a ten k bus that supposedly runs decent
I know it all depends on a lot of personal things
I know finding one with minimal rust is huge
Is It frowned upon to post links here to buses for sale so that you guys can comment on good or bad ? I do have a mechanic locally that I will have inspect any bus before I buy one
Am I dumb thinking I can do it Thanks in advance
Centurion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

Additional questions
Do is anyone have referrals for pre buying inspection in Orange County CA?
What is a customary way to set up a preinspedtion with a Seller- meaning a deposit or collateral left with seller while I take the bus to get inspected ? Thanks again I'm advance
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with first time bus buying Reply with quote

Both aeromech and Asiab are In that area, and highly regarded

You can put down a deposit but alas, nothing prevents a seller from selling Tom the any person to agree to a price, regardless of what arrangements have been made.

A flipper will do this to you, most people selling their Bus will know your inspection will close the deal at better margin, so they welcome the PPI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: