Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

So when am I coming out to see ya again and get that thing dialed?

Can you still get the grabbers? I need some.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Anytime, bud.

Grabbers are gone, long gone I'm afraid.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I'm hooking up the Fuel Injection on the car and on the engine tomorrow, and if everything goes okay I might have the engine back in and ready to test by Monday-Tuesday.

I made this meme to commemorate making up my mind Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

wish i was there to help...it would take a burger and lemonade and your FI would be all done for you Wink (with teaching you how it all works and where things go along the way of course!)

give me a holler if you need a hand with quick questions on it. text me whenever Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Thanks dude. I will probably be texting you today lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

lots of work has been done, plenum, injectors, intake runners, fuel lines, cold start valve, new seals and gaskets galore.

I was finishing up the 3/4 side of fuel line when I noticed I forgot to bolt down the intake runner completely on that side. Then I realized I had placed the wrong nut on one of the studs that secures it. Inner diameter was the same but it was a 15mm, not a 13mm outer diameter.

Lo and behold, the nut wouldn't come off, and I pulled the stud out. I had to find a replacement, along with a replacement throttle body gasket, and some nuts, bolts, and FI clamps I was missing. Once I wrap up fuel lines it'll be ready to cram back into the car.

Still quite a bit to do, with temperatures over 100 and humidity out the ass in the Oklahoma summer.

Not a fun update, but lots of progress has been made, I just haven't been updating.
Will post photos when I get the chance to take some!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Keep going Tony, your almost there!!! So satisfying turning the key and driving away...you’re not as far away from that as you might think!!!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

That engine will be running by October 20th.

Tacos on October 19th?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonychavalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Whats the 411 on the Sprinter parts on the fuel tank? I have to pull one on the bus i just got. I broke the inlet off swapping fuel lines so i have to pull the tank.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

any more progress? Just a friendly thread bump for ya Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

tonychavalia wrote:
Whats the 411 on the Sprinter parts on the fuel tank? I have to pull one on the bus i just got. I broke the inlet off swapping fuel lines so i have to pull the tank.

Better late than never? Mopar hose that fits the bus tank on ebay

thanks boys for the feedback. The engine is in, nearly everything is complete but I have a problem, go figure.

I have a wanted ad right now for the two bolts that hang the transmission from the body. If anyone has these I'd be happy to pay for them and pay shipping as well.

It's #21 on Ratwell's Microfiche.

Here's another actual pic I borrowed from an old thread:

If anyone has these, I'd be forever grateful to you. I'll be posting elsewhere on the forum to try and find them. No luck during several trips to several hardware stores, everything is too wide to fit.

Thanks!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Ken will ship them to you, hes got a few.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

THANK YOU STU! I took down my ad and my stupid question, let's just pretend that didn't happen.

Here's a pic of my dear friend Dewayne and I after we successfully got the engine back in like a month ago. Props to my brother for helping so much that day and snapping the pic.

Man I've really bloated up since I first joined the site forever ago. lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Installed/Corrected the following since the prior update:
Back up Lights
Axles
Shifter
Accelerator Cable
Clutch Cable (new bowden tube)
Exhaust fittings filed, new hardware, copper seals, etc.
New trans fluid

Now, I found my spare ignition key a few days ago. I lost the keys to the bus at some point in October last year. Looking all over for those things. Finally found the spare, and I'll have a door key made with the slider door lock that matches the other handles.

Couple of pics:

And my last major hurdle leap, which totally fu*king sucks. I had a snapped exhaust which I forgot about until we got it back up in the car. Using an extractor kit made the stud budge just barely, and then it snapped off even further. Well, now I have this problem:

^^^So this wasn't me, it was a gentleman I think we all know here in the Bay Forum. I really wish it hadn't gone this far...now I'm going to have to figure out how to correct this before I install my exhaust. I'd appreciate any advice, but of course, as always, I'll be doing my research.

Just a lil update. If I can just get my exhaust safely installed, add some oil, I'll be ready to break in the cam and hopefully start driving on the reg. But this has to be fixed before anything else.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

The bus got moved to it's new home a few days ago. I've moved yet again!

I undid all the Fuel Injection stuff, the fuel line, and pulled the front door handle to have a key made.

I just need to get the axles off, clutch and shift shit, and some bolts and I can finally drop the engine on a driveway, with no dirt or grass or gravel. Then I can wheel it in to my new garage and work on getting the head off for repair.

Looking forward to this next and hopefully final leg of my rebuild journey. Thank you, so much, everyone for commenting, giving advice, everything.

1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I drove my bus today.

Mangled stud- fixed.
Cam and lifter break in- done.

We solved many pesky demons and this morning at 9 am I was blowing ass through my neighborhood.

I never knew power like this in my bus.

I can finally say I built an engine and it runs and drives beautifully so far.

1970 Auto Fastback FI
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
I drove my bus today.

!!!!!
Dude, congratulations! That's one hell of a feeling, I know that.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Congratulations!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Thanks guys! It was a trip for sure. Now I just gotta get used to shifting again and exercise a little finesse when driving lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I dedicated my long weekend to powering through the last few things to make the bus really drive-able.

I swapped the brackets, heat shield and impact strip from my old white bumper to my new chrome one:

New tail lights, too!

I fixed up a bumper bracket:

I replaced the alternator/battery warning light wire, which I simply cannot find after reinstalling the engine. No pic but here's the dash after I got the speedo and everything hooked back up:

And my biggest victory from the weekend: My turn signals work again! AND my hazards finally work!

Never has this bus had working hazards in my possession. Previously, the hazard switch simply made the door buzzer go off. In summer of 2016 or 17 I had the steering column apart and fixed the wiring in my turn sig and hazard switches. I did all this by using the wiring diagrams in the Bentley and occasionally seeking photo references from forum members. Thing is, I didn't even have a battery in the bus to test it out at that time...so I'm sure glad it worked!

I also repaired a slider window catch on my slider door...one of the internal screws had backed out which caused the catch to fail to return to the closed position. I had it all apart on the bench and realized the bottom screw hole was wallowed out on the first few threads, but the last threads were good. Now, I've saved every little bolt and nut that goes with any bus I've had, so I consulted my interior bits box. I had the exact same screw but like just a little longer. It was a perfect fit and I was able to tighten it up and reuse the seal.

I installed the lock cylinder in the slider door, which I previously had off to make a key. Unfortunately, it is not working to unlock or lock the door, but it looks sweet as hell with a new seal. I'll get it back apart and figure out why later.

I still need to install the air blower fan and hoses in the engine compartment, hook the thermostat back up (unfortunately I've forgotten why Robbie and I decided to unhook that temporarilly). I also need a new engine seal. Then I can start doing door seals and my remaining window seals. Really looking forward to getting this dialed in!

Me and the boys taking it on a not-so-legal-yet-the-tag-office-was-closed cruise!

1970 Auto Fastback FI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 55

Jump to: