Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 White Swan Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful find. I suppose you know it is a '71? Subbed
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to help anytime Sunnydog. It does clean it up and it's one less thing that might be retaining the mouse piss smell.
Wildthings, thanks for the Halsey pick up offer. I'm sure there's something I need but I'm good for now. I'm going to go the the Woodburn VW show this Saturday and see what kind parts I can find there.

1967250s, yes I do know its a 71', thanks. I'm up to 3 71's now. All are white, 2 westys and a tin top.

More to come when I get some more pictures loaded. Smile
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really lovely bus, and nice work on the preservation..
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here comes some more photos and update of the 71 White Swan Westy.
Here are a couple more of the new canvas install. I wasn't able to post these earlier because I don't know how to resize the photo so it's small enough for the Samba. So I put them in Photo bucket for now so I can post them up here.
New canvas, perfect fit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the engine compartment. I will move the fuel filter but wanted to run it for a bit to see if the tank needed cleaning.

I had to make a new headliner panel as the old one was mouse piss soaked. I also put in a new upper cot canvas.

The interior was in pretty good shape already and just needed a good cleaning.

I crudely hammered out the larger dents in the bumper and painted it with the paint from Wolfsburg West that they sell in a spray can. I also hit the primered spots on the drivers side. Great color match on the paint. Not the best glossy finish but it works.

So after a winters worth of tinkering, cleaning and putting on some new parts like brakes, brake hoses, Boge Shocks all around, drag link, new used steering box, steering coupler, fixed the horn, pop top canvas, Hankook tires, powder coated the rims, painted the pop top and put on new seals and finally, new awesome curtains purchased here on The Samba, she is ready for the maiden voyage to take the cousins on a camping trip. I've been looking forward to this since I dragged this thing home last fall.

My wife has only driven the bus a couple of times but I had convinced her to drive one of them up so we could all camp, 4 kids and 3 adults, 5 bikes and a boat.

I'd call it a total success. No issues at all with either bus and all slept in reasonable comfort. I'm still a bit sensitive to the mouse piss smell so I left all the windows and doors open but no one else seemed to mind at all. It's not bad at this point but I can still smell it.
We camped in full Westy style.

That's the update for now. I'm looking forward to using this bus some more. It drives really good and tight with no squeaks or rattles. This is the first camping trip this bus has been on, first trip of any kind actually in at least 15 years.

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Very Happy

Lol! Been quiet here but in short I’ve been driving this bus ever since. Now put 32k miles on it. Taken my family on long two week road trips for four summers now too. I’ll have to post some travel pics. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Ah twins, you must be so proud.

Hope this helps
Photo Resizing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51

GD
Tcash
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this thread. I learned a lot from your experience! I was just given my first VW Van and will be starting my first Restoration next month.

She’s a 1971 with no engine, so I do have my work cut out. Could I please pick your brain sometime for advice?

-Brother Chuck

Here’s my ‘71:

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

I found a bus much like yours 12 years ago and it's still serving me well today.
Love my 71 Westy !!![/img]
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Love it -- some good looking busses!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Well still slow over here for posting so here’s an update.
I got 41,701 miles out of the muffler, I thought that was decent. This is your typical danske (I think) muffler and I replaced it with the same. It just started popping a bit coasting downhill and is a little louder when you get on the gas. There were some pieces in the muffler when I’d shake it.
So it basically took me all day to get this done but she’s purring like a kitten again.

That also means 41,701 miles on this motor and it still runs just perfectly. It’s a bone stock 1600 other than that blue pulley on it and built by Headflow Masters.
I’ve done almost no work to it. Just had to replace the oil coolers seals that I didn’t do when I put the cooler on and then one set of points. I also recently replaced the plugs and fan belt for good measure. It doesn’t even leak a drop of oil.
About to jump in it with the family for a round trip through the redwoods and to the Bay Area.

From sitting in a field for 15 years to being a dependable family road tripper.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac

Last edited by 71whitewesty on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Awesome story of one nice looking westy!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

I don’t usually put the trips reports on this thread but since I just updated it and we are on a trip right now I figured I’d throw a few pics up.
We decided at the last minute to road trip to the Bay Area via the redwoods and coast to avoid the “historical” storm. We did just skirt the storm and only saw the aftermath. Fantastic trip so far. Bus is running just perfectly. Heat is anemic and makes me really consider one of those diesel heater installs. But other than the heat I wouldn’t want to do this trip in any other vehicle. Very Happy

1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
9mmMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. I got see mine yesterday AM. It should be home soon and mechanically sound. Still a long to go........
Living vicariously through The Samba! Smile
1971 Chianti Red / Pastel white Bus
mcode -
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Stumbled onto this, great story, very enjoyable to read,- thanks for posting!

With all of your trips so far, i wondered if you did, or would consider a 2 hour trip..... back to the previous owners so they can see all the restoration you did. Bet they would love to see it.

Matt
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

mr matt wrote:
Stumbled onto this, great story, very enjoyable to read,- thanks for posting!

With all of your trips so far, i wondered if you did, or would consider a 2 hour trip..... back to the previous owners so they can see all the restoration you did. Bet they would love to see it.

Matt

I would like to go back to the owners and share the stories and travels of the Bus. I have sent their son pictures of it with a note after the first year of having it on the road again. Not sure the parents saw it. Maybe I will go back for a visit sometime....I know I'd enjoy hearing about stories of my old buses. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 71 White Swan Westy Reply with quote

Yea,
I think you would enjoy even sharing your stories.. and bring pictures as you shown here...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: