Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaskan Possum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the rubber tubes on gas tank inlet - old ones reeked of fuel. Removed front seat stop latch assembly from tunnel, will be fabing up mounts for my new front junkyard seats ( from 2005 prius) Shocked
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

73slowbug, had to laugh at your post. Thanks for sharing, that's awesome.

We rebuilt, adjusted, and bled the front brakes (new drums, shoes, cylinders, etc). We did the rear ones a few weeks ago. Stops much better now, but only if I pump the brakes once first (need help figuring this out. PO had replaced the master cylinder, maybe we need to use pressurized bleeding rather than vacuum? suggestions, please PM or email me)

Also replaced all the gaskets on the 4 turn signals/brake lights as well as the license plate light. Repaired some wiring for the front turn signals along the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

CTK, the only thing that's ever worked for me to get a solid pedal with a single push is to
1.)tighten both adjusters on all 4 tires so that you can't turn the tires by hand; 2.)pump the brakes a couple of times between tightening of each wheel's adjusters.
3.) Bleed each wheel using the one person pump while you bleed method; follow the order of the Bentley manual for your model car;
4.) back of the adjusters a click at a time per wheel until the wheel drags but you can turn it w/out getting a hernia.

This worked for me on my two Supers over the last couple of months. I have great brakes now, no double-pumping needed.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

ctknecht wrote:
73slowbug, had to laugh at your post. Thanks for sharing, that's awesome.

We rebuilt, adjusted, and bled the front brakes (new drums, shoes, cylinders, etc). We did the rear ones a few weeks ago. Stops much better now, but only if I pump the brakes once first (need help figuring this out. PO had replaced the master cylinder, maybe we need to use pressurized bleeding rather than vacuum? suggestions, please PM or email me)

Also replaced all the gaskets on the 4 turn signals/brake lights as well as the license plate light. Repaired some wiring for the front turn signals along the way.

If you have to pump the pedal to make it come up, your brake shoes are too loose.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
DogJack1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed 4 wheel disk brakes. The factory drum brakes were in good shape. Does anyone need the the old parts ? My 73 SB came from SanDiego California. Even the brakes lines are great (Short lines from Hose to Wheel cylinder)
I'm near Milwaukee Wisconsin Not interested in shipping
Hope its OK to post this Just don't want to throw away good parts.
PS I need a 73 SB dash
Thanks DogJack
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I have been using a locking engine lid lock on my VWs, had one that I'd had around for a long time; problem is that for some reason I had only one key.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I tried Ace Hardware and locksmith/key shops I'd happen upon, one even tried twice to order a key blank for it after I told them my VW "SC" key for glove box fit into the lid lock, but hadn't come through.

Yesterday I stopped at a locksmith on Cave Creek Rd just north of Sweetwater in Phoenix, and the operator there had an Ilco 61VW blank which fit in, and he cut me a key that works (I had the lid lock with me to try). The Ilco key does not have the VW logo though.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DogJack1 wrote:
Installed 4 wheel disk brakes. The factory drum brakes were in good shape. Does anyone need the the old parts ? My 73 SB came from SanDiego California. Even the brakes lines are great (Short lines from Hose to Wheel cylinder)
I'm near Milwaukee Wisconsin Not interested in shipping
Hope its OK to post this Just don't want to throw away good parts.
PS I need a 73 SB dash
Thanks DogJack

If you possibly can, hang onto the original stuff. At some point you or some future owner may want to go back to stock.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Not just today, but over the past two weeks or so:
Washed and waxed
Replaced turn signal switch with good German switch
New horn ring/signal cancel ring (horn works now!)
Got the transmission shifting nice and smooth:
-re-adjusted clutch pedal free play
-re-adjusted shift plate position
Painted interior/exterior of floor pans (mmmm....shiny)
Installed Procar/Scat Pro90 front seats (very comfy Cool )
re-installed refurbished rear seat
removed, sanded, repainted glovebox door
New rear shocks
Re-adjust headlight aim
New spark plug/fuel line holders
Made a new coil>cutoff solenoid>choke wire
LED brake light bulbs

Working on an in-line fresh air/heat booster fan set up too, still in the "dry run/mock-up" stages on that though.

Happy Bug'n
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Not just today, but over the past two weeks or so:
Washed and waxed
Replaced turn signal switch with good German switch
New horn ring/signal cancel ring (horn works now!)
Got the transmission shifting nice and smooth:
-re-adjusted clutch pedal free play
-re-adjusted shift plate position
Painted interior/exterior of floor pans (mmmm....shiny)
Installed Procar/Scat Pro90 front seats (very comfy Cool )
re-installed refurbished rear seat
removed, sanded, repainted glovebox door
New rear shocks
Re-adjust headlight aim
New spark plug/fuel line holders
Made a new coil>cutoff solenoid>choke wire
LED brake light bulbs

Working on an in-line fresh air/heat booster fan set up too, still in the "dry run/mock-up" stages on that though.

Happy Bug'n

Busy little Bugger, eh?! Very Happy Post pics of that booster fan setup somewhere when it's done!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Busy little Bugger, eh?! Very Happy Post pics of that booster fan setup somewhere when it's done!

Blue Bug *beep beep* Very Happy Gotta make up for the weeks the Bug was up at the transmission shop!! I've been itchin' to get my hands on the bug

And I'll share my set up once I get it in and functional (hopefully won't be too much longer)

...just a teaser for the set up:

No chopping the body, no cutting up stock parts, completely reversible, can both boost fresh-air & heated air, and will give drivers/passenger separation of fan control too Cool
El
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'm a slacker, I did nothing to my vw today Laughing I did take her out for a spin yesterday, then remembered the dire warnings and sound advice about moving the fuel filter out of the engine bay because of a fire danger, and put her back in the garage till I get it fixed.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Went to paint the intakes and alt stand and other bits... Somehow managed to dump a gallon of paint on my garage floor.

Embarassed

I guess that isn't happening today...
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Adjusted my brakes. You don't realize how far off they are until you adjust them. This was the first adjustment I've dont in around 6500 miles. I think it might be time for brake shoes soon.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

My idle has suddenly dropped to 800 or less. I checked the point gap, perfect, but timing was down to 7.0 BTDC at idle. I adjusted it up, checked for vacuum leaks, cleaned the idle port and re-adjusted the carb from scratch and rechecked the timing. Timing seems to be shifting w/the idle adjustment, I ended up leaving it a 8.0 BTDC. Doesn't seem right. I'll see how it drives tomorrow.

Oh, points have about 5,200 miles on them. Gap is good but they're looking worn/pitted. I used a penny to clean off some of the roughness.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Spend the $4 on a set of points. Grab a condenser while you're at it. I've seen some crazy issues when those get tired.

Or stash those and drop a Pertronix in there. Keep the old parts in the trunk in case the Pertronix fails.

You've been around long enough to know you can't trust modern parts like you once could. 5k miles is an eternity for some of the crap that we have available. Even if it *does* say Bosch on it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I have a spare set and will swap them out. But after this replacement set dies, I'm going back to an electronic module.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

My 1973 beetle project is nearing completion. Over the weekend I mounted the rear bumper with new grommets. I was lucky to find an original German bumper in good condition.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed the fresh air booster fan system I've been planning out and did the write up
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705224

Installed the accessory fuse block for my add-on electricals

Installed the NOS "fresh air scoop" on the hood (bought it from the classifieds)- works nice to help bring in more fresh air flow while driving

Installed the transmission nose cone seal, slit on side so that I could slide it down over the nose cone without removing the transmission

Put in a new rubber valve for the rear chassis tunnel drain hole

Then took a drive Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I drove my 1970 sedan to town to do errands, tightened up it's home-engineered engine lid hinge hardware, noticed that my engine (2016 home-assembly after machining, now with silicone oil strainer/cover gaskets) and MoFoCo April 2018 rebuilt transmission are leak free, a first for me !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Alaskan Possum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed seats from 2005 prius. Pulled driver seat back out and re-welded mount, then re-installed the seat. Old seat had broken springs. (Safely placed in the shed for now)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 352 of 449

Jump to: