Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How often do you expect to break down?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often do you expect to break down?
Every Trip
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Every Other Trip
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Once Per Year
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
Its Rare but S*(^% Happens
71%
 71%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 56

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: How often do you expect to break down? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
"how often do you expect to break down?"

depends who's bus I'm in

That's a pretty good one,
And in theory it's true,
But I have seen otherwise.

I'll say,
"Depends which bus I'm in".

I have had aircooled VWs that should have been dead long ago,
Rods rattling lifting over the crest of a hill,
Muffler falling off onto the street,
That just ran and ran and ran 100% every time.

On the other hand,
Some are cursed.
Some have issues that NO mechanic can suss,
And they break down, or have problems, almost every outing.
Even though everything has been gone through..

It just depends which one it is, IME.

What’s That Noise?!?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: How often do you expect to break down? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It's

...dont be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared....

be preparrrrred....

Nice to see another Tom Lehrer fan in the group! Wink
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you expect to break down? Reply with quote

sometimes BEFORE you even turn the key Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you expect to break down? Reply with quote

I got my bus for $500 in 2009. It was rotting in a field, hadn't been started in 4-5 years. Clutch was stuck to the flywheel. Big rat living in the air cleaner. I had it running within a couple days and did a lot of work to it during those first few months. In the early days there (like in the first six months) it broke down:

• Once because the fuel line was clogged (I fixed that with POR-15 and it has not recurred).
• Once because a wire connector on a relay was corroded, crusty and loose (I fixed that and it has not recurred).
• Once the clutch cable broke (slipped off the pedal/hook). I fixed that with a hose clamp roadside and have been driving it like that ever since.

That's it. It hasn't broken down since early 2010. Fix what's wrong with your bus and there's no reason it should break down at all. Short answer: Nowadays (and for quite a while now) I don't expect breakdowns - ever. But yeah, back when I was still reviving it, you didn't know what to expect. But that phase didn't last very long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: