Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve noise '57 Beetle 36 hp
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BooBoo's oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Valve noise '57 Beetle 36 hp Reply with quote

Hi all,

I noticed valve noise in my rebuilt (1,000 miles) 36 hp. Thought valves needed adjustment. Could not get feeler gauge between rocker and valve stem on #3 cylinder. very noisy. Have I dropped a valve seat? I backed off the rocker screw but still could not get a feeler gauge in there. Thoughts anyone?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Valve noise '57 beelt 36 hp Reply with quote

Sounds ominous. Your next step is to remove the rocker arm assembly and make further observations.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise '57 Beetle 36 hp Reply with quote

Before removing the rocker arm, make sure the valve stem keepers are firmly in place. Maybe they dislodged, and are putting pressure on the rocker arm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Valve noise '57 Beetle 36 hp Reply with quote

Once you get the rockers off put a straight edge across the valve tips to see if they are all even.
If one of the valves is longer it could be stretching or the seat has sunk.
BooBoo's oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise '57 Beetle 36 hp Reply with quote

Thanks folks, I will check out both suggestions
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve noise '57 Beetle 36 hp Reply with quote

"Once you get the rockers off put a straight edge across the valve tips to see if they are all even. If one of the valves is longer it could be stretching or the seat has sunk."

GREAT advice ! ! ! That's what happened to the '55, the seat started to recede and the valve had begun to sit lover and lower into it, which caused the stem to sit higher under the rockers. Took a good replacement head to fix it as the web between the valve seats had begun to crack because of the seat problem.

Best of luck ! ! !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: