Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One of these days could you post up the dimension from diagonal corner to corner of that pallet?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

The pallet is about 48" by 40", but the folks at "the Wright Gearbox" nailed down a slightly bigger sheet of MDX wood to the top of the pallet to protect the spread of the axles out to the stub axles. I asked them to ship it with axle nuts on the ends to protect the threads on the stub axles, which they did. It's approximately 66" diagonally.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skip2th
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

This has been an incredible read. What an nice Double Cab. What a journey. I have learned a lot from reading this thread this evening. Way, way down the road. I imagine driving my Double Cab, 100% all freshy fresh, better then the day it got off the boat. For now I am very happy with its appearance. I just want to have a completely rebuilt drive train, engine, brake system, and front end components. All factory stock or as close to it as possible. Very nice truck sir.
Will
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Thank you for the compliment! The work on the Double-Cab was a huge commitment in time, money and love of the meticulous work. My subliminal goal was to basically build a treasured Transporter mostly by myself in my own garage. It was also a sizeable commitment of time to create the "build-thread" for this '59 DC here on theSamba.com but in retrospect it was fun, informative and a great way to document the build all along the way. A lot of enthusiasts seem to enjoy reading it and that makes it all worth while! I even find myself re-reading my thread every once in a while to to re-live the adventure of this build. I actually still have a few small unfinished things to do on my DC and I'll post them here when I get to them.

Enjoy the restoration of your DC in your own way, at your own pace, and don't get overwhelmed at the "big Picture". You are on the right track, focus first on getting the drivetrain and brake and electrical systems up to snuff. One project at a time, then on to the next, and so on. Pretty soon you'll be where I am, standing back and admiring your handiwork, and of course, driving it! And I'd highly recommend that you start a build thread for your DC. It's a great place to get second opinions, help and advice. You won't know to accomplish everything, and folks here will be happy to advise and help you out.

Thanks again for your comments!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Last night a local Bus buddy emailed me a photo from 1995-ish that he took of my wife and I in my '59 DC leading a 70-plus VW caravan southbound on "the Great River Road just south of the town of Grafton, IL. He must have been standing through the sunroof of a Splitty to get this one. I've got my left turn signal on and I believe that I'm passing Gary Jarrett in a 21 window Deluxe. Check out those "Bice" industrial bumpers on the DC! I thought you might enjoy a pre-restoration shot of the DC in action with a bunch of it's buddies during one of our "Buses By The Arch" weekends back in 1994 or 1995. I don't recall ever putting my own original Westfalia racks on the DC, so from that I know that it was a reproduction rack that was donated by "Parts is Parts"? in SLC back then as a door prize, and we transported it to the event giveaway on the roof of the DC. The massive Mississippi River is just feet out of the photo on the left side.

Thanks to Brian Wittling for the cool shot...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

I just found this pre-restoration photo of me and the DC and it made me chuckle...

...Man, she and I have come a long way!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Applause

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Your DC got a whole lot younger- but rest assured, you haven't aged a bit. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

A bunch of us Bus locals attended a garage party last weekend to honor the long overdue visit of Neil Pickett to visit his incredible Deluxe after about 4 years. A great party and bar-b-que ensued, and we all got to visit and catch-up with Neil and his adorable wife Laura. Neil gave lots of us a ride around the neighborhood in that stunning '58 Deluxe.

I brought out my '59 Double-Cab by request from Neil and enjoyed the ride. A few old Buses were gathered together for a few photographs, here are a few of my shots...

...and the lovely couple and the amazingly restored Deluxe.

Thanks for a great afternoon Kent, Neil & Laura and all the Transporter freaks in attendance!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I just found this pre-restoration photo of me and the DC and it made me chuckle...

...Man, she and I have come a long way!

Bill

Cool one! Old photos are so great that they captures precious moments. How are you, buddy?
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Hi "DONGKG"!

Good to hear from you! We're doing great here! We just returned from hosting our 33rd "Buses Nowhere Near The Arch #33" Volkswagen camping weekend in the State of Missouri. I brought all four of my Transporters to the event with the help of additional drivers, and we had exactly 100 registered campers for the weekend ( www.bnnta.com ). We had great weather, lots of different models of not only Transporters but all models and eras of Volkswagens in attendance. We had pot luck communal dinners, lots of late night partying, kids, pets, a scenic countryside caravan, an informal Transporter show with awards and door prizes, etc., etc. Fun, fun, fun! We're tired but quite happy with the weekend!

The Double-Cab did great, but I was so busy running the event that I failed to take even a single photo with my phone, so hopefully someone who was in attendance will post up a picture or two of my DC and other Buses at the campout. We had a great time, but we really slept in this morning!

I hope that all is well in your end of the woods!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Just found this thread while researching some window replacement info. I am just at the beginning of my own bus experience (about 5 months in) and will be bookmarking this thread for all of the great info! Thanks for the meticulous record and congrats on an amazing job.

As an aside, I went to high school in St Louis in the mid-80's and remember our trips to the Arch (and UP in those god awful egg elevators) fondly. Would love to drive my splittie up to St Louis some day to attend the event. Until now I have not had any reason to return as all my family there have passed on and I have returned to the state of my birth (FL) after a long, strange journey that took me as far north as Toronto. Anyway, hope to see your vehicles in person same day and thanks again for all the info, photos and technical goodness.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Hi "Waterborn",

I'm delighted that you enjoyed my documentation so far of my build of this old Double-Cab. I found it therapeutic to post about my various procedures in plain talk, with lots of photos of what was happening. It is a place to share and ask lots of questions, ask for help diagnosing things that I might not be clear about and celebrating little triumphs with the project. People much smarter than I chimed in with great advice and pats on the back. I got a lot of encouragement along the way. I just hope that others reading through it all gain confidence to carry into their own projects!

As for St. Louis, I moved here from L.A. in 1977 when I transferred into the TWA St. Louis flight base (I've been a TWA and AA flight attendant for going on 43 years now) and have enjoyed the Midwest. And yes, those little egg shaped rail cars still chug up each leg of the Gateway Arch pretty much unchanged since you remember them, but the underground museum was completely torn out, re-designed and revamped and has just re-opened less than a year ago.

We'd love to have you drive up in your Splittie sometime and visit/attend both our BNNTA VW Camping weekend ( www.bnnta.com ) and personally visit my '59 Double-Cab and her seven other VW stable-mates down in our garage. Keep being inspired and keep plugging away at your own project Bus! Hopefully we'll meet up someday soon!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Bill thanks again for the info and encouragement! I do realize that your event is outside of St Louis. I have a love/hate relationship with that town. I was born here in FL and returned three days after graduating high school (Lutheran South in Lemay if anyone cares to know). Though my heart was always tied to Florida, there were many good memories of "enduring" the midwest or "Missery" as I called it. Seeing bands like Cheap Trick, Kansas and Steppenwolf at Six Flaggs, Growing up going to shows at Kiel and the Checkerdome, including VH with and without DLR, seeing Tesla play in a small bar on Lacledes Landing and watching Metalica OPEN for Armoured Saint and W*A*S*P at Reflections in South County. I remember field trips to Soulard Market and meeting Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock and my hero Ozzie Smith at the OLD Busch Stadium. I remember playing football on that same field in my senior year in high school. There was the oddity of Noah's Ark, the amazing pizza at Happy Joe's and sledding down hills at Arrowhead Golf Course. So not all bad. I haven't been back in over 20 years so maybe it will be time to return soon once the bus in bomber proof and can make the drive. Till then, carry on with the VW awesomeness and hit me up if you are ever in south FL.
CTmoog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Here is a shot of the new Nexen SV820 8-ply tires on the freshly painted wheels. The Bus is up on jack stands so it will sit lower once on the ground...

and another...

Bill

Is there a thread with more details about tires sizes and brands?

Where did you buy these and do you have a link?

This is great build!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Bill!
CTmoog wrote:
Go to the "-- Brakes/Tires/Wheels --" section of the following topic: "Announcement: Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*"

There's a thread thread there about 15" tires/vendors. The Nexen SV820 195r15 are discussed.

CTmoog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Looks great Bill!
CTmoog wrote:
Go to the "-- Brakes/Tires/Wheels --" section of the following topic: "Announcement: Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*"

There's a thread thread there about 15" tires/vendors. The Nexen SV820 195r15 are discussed.

Thanks Easy e!

I will check it out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

The recent "beginning of Spring" rains have washed the Winter salt off the roadways around here, so after not having the DC out on the road for several months, it was time to use the crank-start handle to fire her up and take the DC out for a nice early Spring cruise. As it happens, during the drive the odometer on the "Trip" speedometer turned over to 2,000 miles since the restoration.

This photo was shot 7 miles before the odometer flipped to 2,000 miles...

It was nice to pull her out of storage in our seven car garage, fill the tank with fresh new fuel, and then drive her around again. It was hard not to have a shit-eating smile on my face the whole time!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

That’s awesome Bill!

You did such a badass job on that puppy.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

She's a beauty!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 43, 44, 45  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 45

Jump to: