Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Just FYI, here's the amount of room that Jim has to work with. As you can see there's plenty of space to angle the catifold outward away from the engine.
It would also have the added bonus of providing more clearance between the engine and the cat, reducing heat buildup in the block and oil pan.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

OK. The "Jim should have taken the time" the "half-baked etc etc are clearly understandable responses. But wrong. Being born of frustration, I completely understand, and should not have posted the exhaust for upgrade without the major warning about existing AC. That was the mistake, not poor design or lack of consideration, the solution will prove it (which will either be the perpendicular outlet of the hoses, or custom AC block, or both. Could even be another compressor setup entirely (I've never liked the ford outlet block).

I normally don't accept returns, but clearly for the people that have this issue (max 9 people out of 700+ conversions) you can absolutely return it. And I'll buy the manifold from you as well so you aren't out.

If bostig had ever offered an AC option, and it didn't work... wow that would be dumb, but that's not what happened. For the "Jim should have designed it so it works with mine" that's just not possible/feasible.

As far as why isn't the solution ready right now, just like the docs being lower in priority than working product, dev of a path to AC for RG9+ isn't ready before the exhaust was. Which alone was quite a feat to get done in time between groups.

I am very sorry for the huge mistake on not slapping big bold caveats about the AC on the order page, but for this I've offered not only returns/refunds, but also purchase of the manifolds.

Again sorry for the mistake/lack of warning to the folks that have AC already if it isn't a bolt on. We can work out the return/purchase of manifold, or you can pursue the workaround to support my version of AC compressor outlet when ready. The other option is to have local shop do a custom exhaust setup to work with your custom AC setup, the typical flow of custom implementations for anything in the aftermarket.

If you want the new RG9+ exhaust and already have AC, chances are you'll have to change/open the system. That really sucks, and what sucks even more is that I didn't put it on the order page to begin with. However it will not become a larger problem as you won't be able to get your hands on the set until next group either, and the AC solution, and the additional work for folks with AC will be a known quantity by then.

Before you go about trashing me and my work out of frustration, please consider the entire problem, not just your own, the scope of both the problem and the market itself, workarounds and their complexity and the down-the-road impacts. None are too bad for such an update given the benefits, but if you're like Ms Taboo with unusable parts in hand hoping to upgrade and be done, none of this is of any consolation today. For that I understand and apologize.

-Jim Akiba
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Jim, this is no trashing out of frustration: our A/C situations are not "custom". They use the standard Ford type A/C compressor, and having A/C on a Vanagon should not be treated as an exceptional situation. It's totally normal. I'm not sure how many people who have the newer exhaust type also have A/C but this is definitely not an exceptional situation and should have been expected. There have been quite a few threads here and on Facebook about how to route the A/C hoses, so this configuration is known.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Well I feel bad I didn’t have the FS10 here while doing the install, might have been able to provide better information and photos on the clearance. I haven’t bought the catifold yet, and may not if I have to jump through A/C hoops.

But Jim hasn’t shown us his solution, I’ll reserve judgement until then.

I don’t have a syncro, or a skid plate, so never think in those terms.

just saw Jim’s response, what more can you ask for? Full refund. And there will be a workaround.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)

Last edited by JudoJeff on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Guybrush wrote:
our A/C situations are not "custom".

Nobody, including me, sells an off-the-shelf product for implementing AC on the Bostig powered vanagon. The workaround for that is a custom implementation. Which people have done successfully. Unfortunately, the RG9+ exhaust is not a bolt-on option for all those implementations. Some will work (like some of the ones based on v1.0 "long stem" AC blocks) But many will not without modification as in your case and Ms. Taboo's. Sorry for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

What about this block? Seems like it would have better clearance

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-045018

bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Getting warmer, but they are going the wrong direction as well. There used to be a source for 90 degree blocks like the focus had stock, but they stopped making them after the company was acquired. Longer stems and 90 degree outlets will work though, you'll still have to open the system though, sucks, but there is no other way of making it work unless the lines are so tight to the block running straight back leaving the bracket off would allow them to fit, and then another bracket would be the workaround.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

bostig wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
our A/C situations are not "custom".

Nobody, including me, sells an off-the-shelf product for implementing AC on the Bostig powered vanagon. The workaround for that is a custom implementation. Which people have done successfully.

Sorry, I don't buy this. A/C is even mentioned in your install doc with regards to belt size and routing. The "custom" implementation only consists in attaching the Ford style compressor, using the Ford bracket, in the correct position on the Ford engine, using the most standard adapter block, and just getting hoses connected to it. So this feels like a cop-out.

I'll be looking forward to your solution, to know if I can upgrade to the new exhaust when I can afford it, but you can't excuse this away and tell people who have spent many thousands of dollars on your conversion that they're SOL if they have A/C. Are you going to continue producing the regular cat for when that needs to be replaced?
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

bostig wrote:
Getting warmer, but they are going the wrong direction as well. There used to be a source for 90 degree blocks like the focus had stock, but they stopped making them after the company was acquired. Longer stems and 90 degree outlets will work though, you'll still have to open the system though, sucks, but there is no other way of making it work unless the lines are so tight to the block running straight back leaving the bracket off would allow them to fit, and then another bracket would be the workaround.

Really? It looks to me like both of these lines would face upward and outboard.

Look at this image:

The larger (suction) side is outboard on the compressor right? so this would mean the lines were sticking up and out. Then if you connected 90 deg fittings to these you could route the lines backwards. Am I missing something?
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

shizzon wrote:

Really? It looks to me like both of these lines would face upward and outboard.

Once that block is connected, those tubes would face up and almost directly towards the cat, it seems.
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

I see why you wouldn't like the answer as it doesn't help you. There is no compatibility issue with anything that anyone paid me thousands for. Belt length info/routing is of course provided, so is some starting info on how to get AC working, is also posted, but the implementation details are not.

If you're trying to tell me Ms. Taboo's setup is identical to all the rest, and that I'm the one that spec'd it out or that it's even possible to accommodate all of the variation in the new design, that is demonstrably incorrect.

I will continue selling the old style cats.
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

When I say 90 degree block outlets I mean 90 degree outlets (not rear outlet with 90 degree bends) just like the stock focus block, which also has close coupled cat in an even tighter position.
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

Here's a photo of my compressor held up next to my catifold. The straight block obviously interferes. The sideways block wouldn't work for my compressor given the orientation of the suction/outout holes, but this gives a sense of what the clearance looks like. I believe that with the outlets facing the way they are in the other pictures on this thread its likely that block would work.

shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

bostig wrote:
When I say 90 degree block outlets I mean 90 degree outlets (not rear outlet with 90 degree bends) just like the stock focus block, which also has close coupled cat in an even tighter position.

Yes, I get that. That configuration makes by far the most sense to me...
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

bostig wrote:
If you're trying to tell me Ms. Taboo's setup is identical to all the rest, and that I'm the one that spec'd it out or that it's even possible to accommodate all of the variation in the new design, that is demonstrably incorrect.

I'll ask it another way then: regardless of which block was used, of whether the hoses come from the back or the front, is there any way that the new catifold solution works with *any* A/C install using the Ford compressor in the stock location? Or do you consider that any A/C install at all is custom and unsupported?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

shizzon wrote:

I have looked at that block several times and have tried to find different pictures of it for quite awhile now.
I'm not convinced that block would make any agreeable difference.

And as I have said before, the available 90* blocks stick out the same amount as the setup I already have. They do not provide more clearance.

Jim, telling your customers that their existing a/c systems are all wrong and your product is right is not helping. It's quite clear you didn't prototype the adapter with a functioning a/c system.
I'm basing this statement on your own photos of using the cool new mapping laser and software.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
Jim sent me this photo. Compressor feed/connection is on the bottom, not out the back. Jim said he should have a solution within 2 weeks.

Any idea if that compressor will fit/work?
When I look up the part number I get hits for other engines and when cross checking to the 2.0 Zetec I get incompatibility warnings.
Seems we're going down a "custom" a/c hole.

jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

shizzon wrote:

I used this block it works and fits with 90 degree hose fittings.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

jfu057 wrote:
shizzon wrote:

I used this block it works and fits with 90 degree hose fittings.

Pictures please!

jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Installation notes: Bostig's new "catifold" exhaust system Reply with quote

I will take some and post tomorrow afternoon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: