Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this thing in the case?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fastmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: What is this thing in the case? Reply with quote

Folks,
Just cracked the case tonight while rebuilding the 1600 on my 67 Fasty, and found a piece down in the primordial oil that I can't identify (and a trip the fountain of wisdom - Muir - doesn't seem to help either). It's a black rubber plug with a hole in it - 3/4 inch long, 5/8 inch diameter, hole is about 1/8 inch diameter...any ideas?
Fastmatt
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound familiar...

Maybe someone accidentally dropped something down into the oil fill tube sometime in the past?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fastmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...I have a feeling that there is a big German mechanic somewhere who is still chuckling about leave this thing in the case...
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL@ Fastmatt. Yeah, I thinl you are right.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Your Dipstick. i did the same thing, pulled my motor out and forgot to remove the dipstick. the rubber piece came off and i found it when i split the case, except for i found globs of metal too.
QWKDTSN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to bet it's that dipstick rubber plug. What the heck is it for, anyway?
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea but I had to zip tie mine on to the stick so that it wouldn't keep sliding down to the bottom of the stick and not allowing me to see the oil level.
nik
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this thing in the case? Reply with quote

Reviving a really old thread (one month shy of 15 years!), but I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere...

What I presume is a vibration damper on the dipstick slides down to the bottom on mine. It always has, but since it's going on 45 years old or so, maybe it's worn? Is it supposed to slide freely to near the bottom, or should it stay partway up; and if so, how far up?

I notice it now, because with an external full flow, I add more than the stock oil amount, and so after a long rest, and the oil drains back a bit, I typically have a higher than stock dipstick reading. That "thing" gets in the way of a proper reading now.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What is this thing in the case? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Reviving a really old thread (one month shy of 15 years!), but I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere...

What I presume is a vibration damper on the dipstick slides down to the bottom on mine. It always has, but since it's going on 45 years old or so, maybe it's worn? Is it supposed to slide freely to near the bottom, or should it stay partway up; and if so, how far up?

I notice it now, because with an external full flow, I add more than the stock oil amount, and so after a long rest, and the oil drains back a bit, I typically have a higher than stock dipstick reading. That "thing" gets in the way of a proper reading now.

Mine stays put about half way up, never noticed it move at all. Super glue it?

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this thing in the case? Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Mine stays put about half way up, never noticed it move at all. Super glue it?

Agreed. Mine sit about half way up the stick. I suppose you could bugger a section of the tube to give the rubber bit something to bite into, and either super glue it in place, or use RTV to hold it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: