Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

March 63 RHD Notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Hi Bob, wasnt it just the S models that had domed pistons?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Yes they did. It's just that most of the 1500 engines (that are still 1500ccs) I've seen were domed, or got converted to 1600's. I don't work on buses or bugs, so I don't normally see them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Short update so this thread doesnt disapear, i have been doing stuff but didnt snap any pix as a bit dull really. Now the weather has improved i can get back to painting. Doors done and built up and front wings also done and installed, its starting to look like a car again woohoo. I also got everything i need to rebuild the motor so hopefully might be done in 2018.
Anyway heres a snap of how she sits today

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Later Sambanistas.
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Hey big update time
Yes i know its been a while, but i have been moving forward with the car.
With the weather here being so good for the last couple of months i got the paint finished.
Final wing/fender in top coat, this wing was a pain, it had deep scoring under ancient filler, so i dug it all out and beat it back to somewhere near before spending ages filling, rubbing down, filling etc. i hate bodywork!

Couple of wheels done also, and before anyone says anything yes i will clear the paint from the bolt holes as on the LH one.

Then all built up

After connecting everything electrical up. it was power on time for the first time in over 30 years.

I am using 6volt LED lamps for all external lights except headlamps from this company in the UK https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/6-volt-collection?page=3
Interior build is next

As the cloth material is unavailable the original will have to do, its not in bad shape overall just the front seats really. All the grey armrests also could do with replacing at some point but they are hard to find too. I replaced the carpets with square weave from Fabrik mike in the UK, really nicely done.

Then onto motor mockup.

The inlet manifold heat riser was blocked as usual, and it had rotted through at the bottom on each side, so repair required. I cut the ends off and used a long masonary drill on hammer action to clear the blockage, worked a treat.

Just need to weld it back together now.
My original hubcaps are at the chromers, should be back in a couple of weeks, then i will take the collection of bumpers i have accumulated up there for a quote, before deciding whether to go down the stainless route. The mixed reviews about them dont really inspire confidence, so would prefer to stick with og, just depends on cost i guess.
Stay tuned for further updates.
Cheers all Paul
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Very very nice. Cool This is turning into a really beautiful looking car, and your hard work is clearly showing in it's finished (parts of it anyway) state. Very Happy
Nice "big update" though. That car is going to look like new when you're done. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Cheers for the compliments bob.
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Motor time.
Stock rebuild using the original case and crank, heads are the originals too with new valves, springs, valve guides and recut seats.
I am using a rebuilt rod set and (dont say it too loudly) Kolbenschmidt 1600 bs and ps.
Obviously all new bearings and oil pump, new stock cam and followers

It all went together far too easily.
Had some issues with lining up my repaired inlet manifold, but here it is done and installed.

Rebuilt the carb and stripped and cleaned the fuel pump.
Also rebuilt the genny with new bearings and brushes.

Question time, what is the correct routeing for the fuel pipe to the pump in the engine bay? I ve searched the gallery and the pipe appears to go over the manifold or under, i installed mine as you can see but dont think its correct, expert advice needed please!

Went to collect the hubcaps from the chromers today, turned out nice if expensive. Took some bumpers for them to have look at, £1000 to straighten and rechrome two bumper blades is too much for me, so i think the PTT bumpers are the only option.
Heres how she currently sits, however its on the ground now for the first time in 4 years.

Tried posting a running engine video, but guess its too big. Will try to resize it.
Unfortunately house move is imminent so final finishing is now on hold, however i will try to update if anything happens.
Cheers all and thanks for your support.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Is that the fuel supply coming over the intake runners?
Seems like it should be routed under the runners.
Good on you to have it back on it's wheels and probably drive able to its new home! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Yes Mike, when i got the car the fuel pipe was removed, so dont actually know which way it should run. Some year cars seem to run over the top, some under. I think under is safer.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Nice!

what is that relay on the right for?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

As suspected on the first page of this thread, its for the starter motor. Still works after all this time.
Still a couple of tweaks in the engine bay to do but at least its a runner now.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

260KMN wrote:
As suspected on the first page of this thread, its for the starter motor. Still works after all this time.
Still a couple of tweaks in the engine bay to do but at least its a runner now.

Dryer, better location that under the car! Very Happy

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Very, very nice work. Cool A lot of time and effort that really shows. Congrats on getting it back on all 4's, and even more so making it a runner. Applause Dancing
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

260KMN wrote:
Yes Mike, when i got the car the fuel pipe was removed, so dont actually know which way it should run. Some year cars seem to run over the top, some under. I think under is safer.

got the same dilemma with my panelvan on which way to send the fuel line.

it may not be standard but i have seen a bend in the metal piece of fuel line that runs through the tinware.that way the rubber fuel line can safely go under the manifold and across to the fuel pump.
in saying that i have not attempted this modification as of yet
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

This is not the best photo but yes, there is a pipe that travels through the front tin. It's bent to the right and the hose travels under the manifold and is clipped to the oil cooler:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
260KMN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

Thanks Everett, that picture makes sense, i couldnt remember where that clip came from. Although on later car pictures it does appear under the coil mount screws, hence my confusion. Will re route it.
After running the motor for cam break in an oil leak has appeared from the oil pump to case join. Pain really as on T3 motors the fan housing is in the way of the nuts so i cannot try to tighten them, So will have to strip the back off the engine to fix it.
Thanks for all the comments/advice guys.
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
This is not the best photo but yes, there is a pipe that travels through the front tin. It's bent to the right and the hose travels under the manifold and is clipped to the oil cooler:

so Everett what can you tell me about the bent fuel pipe.

i know i have seen one..........
are they any particular year model ????
they would be single carb only i am sure....

Cheers
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

I don't know, other than I assume it's all single carb engines to route the fuel line to the right side so it doesn't go straight backward into the manifold.

It's the same metal line used on 40hp and 1500cc Bug engines to pass through the front tin - just very short with a single bend
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I don't know, other than I assume it's all single carb engines to route the fuel line to the right side so it doesn't go straight backward into the manifold.

It's the same metal line used on 40hp and 1500cc Bug engines to pass through the front tin - just very short with a single bend

Interesting. Didn't know there was such a thing. I just have a straight pipe going through the tin. Got any pics showing us how it's bent, and how it's clipped to the oil cooler?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: March 63 RHD Notch Reply with quote

I don't have a pic of the complete metal line but it's a short pipe that has a gradual 90-degree bend to the right side.

I found a close-up of the fuel line clip on the oil cooler

I never thought about it before but this probably the same bracket used on some Bug/Bus engines on the left side of the fan shroud.
A blurry installed pic I found
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1162727
Bug/Bus part

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: