Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

safety fifth, lol
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Silly boy, that is a job for a track hoe. The fall run should be coming up in sept.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

So the welder is on vacation (I was aware of that happening) but before he left we got the car in the shop and he threw down a few just to see how things were going to go. Apparently things are going to go well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

He'll be working on it starting next week Monday and probably have it done at the end of the week.

Also, I finished my transaxle. 4.86 R&P with Close Ratio Weddle 3 and 4. Chromo pinion nut and diff cover on Vanagon 4-spider superdiff. Dave Folts Gear carrier. Nearly-NOS VW sychros. All new bearings, steel cage gear idler needle bearings. Weddle torsional input shaft and HD clutch cross shaft and bushing. Heavy duty (additional gussets and material) 091-1/094 bellhousing. Steel shift ball and reinforced linkage support, Weddle Mainshaft thrust plate. Super high torque VW TDI starter on adapter plate.

1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Nice welds!

The trans looks nice from the outside. By your description it should be nice. Not dissing your trans building. But I've had way too much experience with troubles with gearboxes that cost me thousands of dollars to have a pro shop build.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the whole car having weld quality like that!

As for the transaxle, I'm definitely a novice but I had the guidance of very experienced people doing it. I was surprised by how giving of knowledge the professional transaxle guys are. That said, if I did manage to screw something up, I now have all the tools to make it right!

I may get dinged for this because it's part of this build and I made a separate thread, but I really wanted it to have its own space so people could find it easier and use it for reference. I found the whole transaxle building and slight modification thing to be pretty straightforward, and the tools didn't really run me too much.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701322
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Fall run is on 9-15, you gonna make it?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Weeeeeellll... I ended up in Hawaii during the buggy run, no buggy progress there. Razz The car is back with me fully welded and ready for paint and assembly.

Just had to test my new transmission and set up the shift assembly, which was not a particularly difficult task. I took a late beetle shift rod and cut it down, and am using a lightly modified Hurst shifter to shift the trans.

I had the original curved Hurst and decided it was too long. I couldn't bring myself to hack a Hurst shaft, though I do have two complete shifters with all components original.

So, I went on down to Ye Ol' Archway Import Auto and got me a EMPI bus trigger shifter and hacked the shaft off, as not to wreck an OG Hurst.

Done! Not much work at all to make a shorter straight one. Now the bottom mechanical/lockout bits of the shifter are all the important durable Hurst pieces, and just the main lever is Chinesium Alloy. All of the Hurst components are made EXTREMELY well. Been a while since I've seen finishes that good and such sound metallurgical decisions in the VW world.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Okay so what happened was this. I had the transmission in and shifting, and the engine on.

Then I checked the shock travel and CV joint articulation, so I had a lot on the car as far as the driveline. So. I'm putting this thing together and running it for one season, making decisions about changes, and then next winter I'll tear it down and paint it. I wanna drive this thing.

Next up is little brackets for parts and fluid lines, and electrical.

I am going to paint the fiberglass, so I need to figure out what adheres well to cured Gelcoat. I am thinking either blue or black.

I have looked at single stage Urethane, Alwgrip/Awlcraft 2000, vinyl wrap, and just standard automotive base coat/2K clear coat.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

I could take you for a ride in mine, if that gets you motivated. I would be surprised if there wasn't something you wanted to change.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Mmm... That would be.... Highly motivational Very Happy The next few days are going to be warm!

I bought axles from Jim at Archway, so I'll have nice torsional axles, a torsional input shaft, a soft clutch, and a semi-built bus box that will hopefully survive my beatings.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Tune into channel 4 thanksgiving morning and watch your northwest high school marching band. It's my daughter's 4th and last time in the parade.
JSisk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Subscribing, good to see some fellow Missourians.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

What part do you hail from? And welcome to TheSamba!

I'm still cranking along! Just kind of sweeping the car front to back and back to front doing things until she's done. The RCI fuel cell topper plate left.... something to be desired, in that it was so bad it was almost not possible to assemble the fuel cell.

I made a new one out of slightly thicker stuff I found in the shed, I plan to tidy it up later. It has been, uh, a little wet in the shed.

Then I built the torsional axles up with my Porsche 944 CV joints.

She's gettin there!

Next I want to figure out what I'm going to do about the fiberglass paint situation. I am debating between single stage Urethane, some Awlcraft/Awlgrip, and normal automotive base coat-clear coat.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Are you going to paint the cage?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Yep, but I'm definitely going to wait a season. I want to make sure everything is where I want it and set up right before I go crazy with the paint. I do want to paint the body soon/now though, I have to figure out how to do that.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

To paint the old gel coat, just sand it with some medium grit, like 220-320. The use any old paint you like. Rust-O-Leum is fine, especially out of the quart can thinned 1:1 with mineral spirits. It's an off road car. If you're not going for offroading on the lawn during the lifted 4x4 show, and you're actually going to get it dirty...then keep it simple. Tractor paint from the local Tractor Supply Company store works well too. Clear coat does not survive off road real well. It is very subject to chipping. More coats of paint are not good. An overall thin paint job is best. Less chipping that way. I would not recommend powder coat on the frame, but sprayed-on paint would help prevent rust in the meanwhile. Sand blast with a Harbor Freight pressure pot blaster would be good. I get my sand for that from the local sand wash (dry creek). I sift it with window screen before putting it the sand into the blaster pot. Solid colors are better than metallics, candies or pearls for repairs.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Dusty, point taken on the body paint for sure. I won't go too thick or fancy, I'm probably thinking a single stage urethane over prepped gelcoat as suggested and call it done.

I want to paint it one of the original available colors in the Chenowth catalog in 1975 when my car was made. A simple royal blue was one of those colors so I think that's what I'll go for.

I might just dust the 'raw' areas of the frame this season with some spray paint, then have it blasted and do STEEL-IT on the frame next winter.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

One of the cool aspects of steel-it is that you can weld through it.

So you could cover the frame now, test the car, make any needed changes, then spray it again later to touch up.
SoCalBajas Member
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

While contemplating said paint, I figured I'd get down to wiring. Gotta do it right though. So I got a real Delphi Weather Pack kit from my local electric supply house.

and got some 1/64 HDPE to fold up a plastic safety liner for the inside of my dash. The anodized coating actually doesn't conduct either. I figure with the good wire I have, the insulative plastic liner, and the anodized coating not conducting I'm good.

Then I started laaaaaayin it all out! Looks like an explosion now but it's gonna be slick.

jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Given (probably) a Chenowth 2lw, a few vintage buggy questions Reply with quote

Well I have been quite ill, so not much progress, but in between feeling okay and feeling medium-well I have gotten some electrical work done. I have been putting my WeatherPack kit to good use, as well as wiring up my master kill switch and landing all of the other important wires on the engine.

Next, a real VW starter wire was pirated off of a scrapyard Jetta, as my starter is from a MKIV VW.

Mmmmm so satisfying and sealed and correct.

That's all done, now on to lighting and gauges in the dash.

In addition, I decided that while I can't do anything else I might as well address one of the few lingering aesthetic issues which has nagged at me since the parts originally showed up in the mail. I think the straps around KC daylighters are ugly. Also, I had an idea of how to fix them.
Okay, first I need to make something cool looking that mimics this strap:

Take off strap and measure everything:

Here it is!

Cutaway view:

Front view:

That bolt ring will serve to replace this lame looking little screw clamp strap

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: