Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

Hello -- my installer says he can't get the new seals with the groove for the aluminum replacement to fit -- I have the Cal Look seals.

He says that the window is .2 of an inch bigger and it just won't go. But I notice that the seals say 67-74 will fit.

Mine is a 4/70.

Thoughts on this??

Grrr...
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

Correct, you cannot put alum trim in Cal Look seals. There is no groove for trim. These are Cal look seals...note, no Alum/Chrome trim
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This style rubber has a slot the trim fits in. Alum 67-74 trim
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67-74 refer to the seal that takes Aluminum trim (T-channel). 56-66 refers to the seal that will fit the Chrome Trim(C- Channel).

Someone may be confusedwith terms. Cal look is just rubber seal and windshield, no trim allowed. See top pic Very Happy
If your guy cant get alum trim in a seal made for it....time for new guy? Bad part? If you bought the "cheap" rubber seals (always buy the "Blocked" or German seals) then you now know why they were less expensive. Mad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

I think I did a lousy job writing this...

Cal seals are on the car and I don't like them, the car is really nice and needs the original look soI ordered new seals from Air Head Parts with the groove and the aluminum.

Installer says that the window will just not fit. He called Air Head and they said that some windows are .2 of an inch bigger. He didn't know if I had the wrong glass in there or if they were the wrong seals...

I think the glass is correct and the seals maybe incorrect. They are closed now so I was looking for some insight.

Is some glass bigger? Should it fit??
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

Yeah, it SHOULD fit. Are they the same windows you pulled out? They should go back. If you bought cheap seals (ALWAYS buy the BLOCKED SEALS) its a much more difficult job and it wont look good because the seals dont have blocked corners. Sellers offer many seals. What did you buy? If closed, check part numbers and online description.
Some glass is bigger, but it doesn't grow when you take it out of the car Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

The cal look window seals are going back in and they do fit. The new ones do not.

This is what I ordered, of course I got the moulding too.
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/seal-windshield-stock-molded-corners-2/
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/seal-rear-window-glass-t-chan-molded-corners/

If this is wrong and won't fit, what should I get??

Old seals are back in now and I'm back to where I started. Boo. Sad

Thanks --
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

Measure the glass and see if it's too big. If too big u need different glass in order to install trim, from what I've read, no experience myself but getting ready to install 17" glass with T trim in a 72
Edit: or see if you can get the glass ground/cut, but I've never had any luck with this on other projects
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

Glass measures 17.2 inches -- which is strange -- was there slightly bigger glass?
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

Look at the windshield topic a few topics down the page( sorry don't know how to link). Evidently a company made crappy glass
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Windshield and Rear Window Bigger? Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Hello -- my installer says he can't get the new seals with the groove for the aluminum replacement to fit -- I have the Cal Look seals.

He says that the window is .2 of an inch bigger and it just won't go. But I notice that the seals say 67-74 will fit.

Mine is a 4/70.

Thoughts on this??

Grrr...

Nothing has changed on rear glass.

Windshield Info from Forum... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566645&highlight=windshield

bnc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: