Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Beetle brake job
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jfoolio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: 63 Beetle brake job Reply with quote

My 63 brakes have to be pushed to the floor in order to stop. When I got the car the brake fluid reservoir was bone dry. I've added fluid and it does not appear to be running through the lines. This is my first bug so I'm a little naive. I can handle a brake job but I'm concerned there's something deeper going on? Any advice or tricks to testing the lines?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle brake job Reply with quote

Old Volkswagens do not have automatically adjusting brakes, they must be periodically manually adjusted to maintain a very close clearance between the shoes and drums. When you push on the brake pedal, that fluid volume is displaced through the lines directly to the wheel cylinders (assuming there is no air in the lines), the wheel cylinders then push the brake shoes out into contact with the drums. Only after all the shoes in the brake circuit have come into contact with the drums will you start to notice an increase in brake pedal resistance and the brakes start to have an effect upon slowing/stopping the car, so you can see that if the shoes aren't kept in very close proximity to the drums in the first place that quite a bit of brake pedal travel is used up just positioning the shoes. For this very reason the first thing one should always do when faced with any brake issue is to adjust the brakes.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle brake job Reply with quote

Yeah, and it is rather plainly stated as a maintenance necessity in the Owner's Manual.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle brake job Reply with quote

Jfoolio wrote:
My 63 brakes have to be pushed to the floor in order to stop. When I got the car the brake fluid reservoir was bone dry. I've added fluid and it does not appear to be running through the lines. This is my first bug so I'm a little naive. I can handle a brake job but I'm concerned there's something deeper going on? Any advice or tricks to testing the lines?

Got to understand that the brake system is not a full loop. As in you do not pump fluid in to have flow out to the wheels and right back to the master cylinder. Instead brake fluid is pushed out to the wheels and pressurized up to 1,500 PSI to make the brake shoes press up to the inside of the brake drums.

When you let up on the brake pedal the fluid the MC pushed out to the wheels returns back to the MC and back up into the reservoir.

Definitely go read your year and model of VW owners manual!! Better yet print out two copies, one for home and one for your glove box. Hover your mouse cursor over the "Technical" button above. Left click on the "Owner's Manuals" in the pop up lost that well pops up there.

Also get yourself a copy of the original VW dealership workshop manual for your year:

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-1200-Workshop-Ma...hop+manual

You can buy it in paperback form for less. Even less if you search around the internet or used condition. Check out the classifieds often for such.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle brake job Reply with quote

By all means check what has already been stated above, but if you have no idea of the age of the parts, I would replace damn near everything except the steel lines. Piecing brake components that are new with ones that are old will most likely have you chasing problems with the older components until everything is eventually replaced. The last customer’s VW I did brake work on was a “full restoration” that had multiple brake issues. The front wheel cylinders were VW units, most likely making them the original 1970 cylinders...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jfoolio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle brake job Reply with quote

Thanks guys. All great replies. I saw a video online of a gentlemen doing this adjustment. I guess I was just concerned something deeper was going on. Once the heat takes a break I will hit the garage and try it out. I'm thinking it might to time to replace most of it.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle brake job Reply with quote

If the car is new to you and as you said, the brake reservoir was dry (!!!) when you got it, your first order of business should be to get the car up on stands and get into the brakes all around. Replace the rubber lines at each wheel and see what else needs attention.

Brake fluid is not consumed during brake operation, so if the reservoir is dry that means there is a leak.

Also check the master cylinder and especially check where the pushrod from the pedal goes through the firewall - if you find evidence of brake fluid in this area it means it's leaking out the rear of the master cylinder.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Beetle brake job Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
By all means check what has already been stated above, but if you have no idea of the age of the parts, I would replace damn near everything except the steel lines. Piecing brake components that are new with ones that are old will most likely have you chasing problems with the older components until everything is eventually replaced. The last customer’s VW I did brake work on was a “full restoration” that had multiple brake issues. The front wheel cylinders were VW units, most likely making them the original 1970 cylinders...

X2 - ANY car that comes into the shop gets a going over on the brakes. Especially one that has sat for any length of time. Do NOT skimp or skip anything. The metal lines are usually good, BUT you need a good visual inspection.

After this, replace any soft fuel lines etc.....Good luck
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: