Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Still daily driving my pile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

40-50 miles daily on The Ghiapet, a class 11 inspired rallycross car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I have daily driven my 1966 Beetle since 2012 (spring, summer, fall, only since moving north in 2013). I have also driven it on several cross country trips. The VW has reliably taken me to both costs and many places in between, most recently a nearly 2000 mile excursion to Kansas. I have broken down a couple times but have managed to get back on the road with my small stash of emergency parts and tools that I keep under the rear seat. I don't think twice about hopping in it to take a couple hundred mile day trip to some of my favorite WI state parks. I have always enjoyed driving but have the best time behind the wheel of my VW.

1966 Beetle
Engine is a stock 1965 40hp 1200 rebuilt by me (was in the car when I got it).
rebuilt stock trans
Tires are 165/80R15 Nankang
30 mpg
20 mile round trip commute usually 200 or so miles a week total driving
55,ooo miles since a complete mechanical rebuild finished in 2012.
Satisfaction level is a 10/10 This Beetle is by far the most reliable old car I have ever had.
Wish list: 100,000 miles before another engine rebuild. Less oil leaks from engine/trans would be great but I've pretty much given up on that.

My Beetle on top of Coronado Heights, Kansas from a road trip this May.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
I have daily driven my 1966 Beetle since 2012 (spring, summer, fall, only since moving north in 2013). I have also driven it on several cross country trips. The VW has reliably taken me to both costs and many places in between, most recently a nearly 2000 mile excursion to Kansas. I have broken down a couple times but have managed to get back on the road with my small stash of emergency parts and tools that I keep under the rear seat. I don't think twice about hopping in it to take a couple hundred mile day trip to some of my favorite WI state parks. I have always enjoyed driving but have the best time behind the wheel of my VW.

1966 Beetle
Engine is a stock 1965 40hp 1200 rebuilt by me (was in the car when I got it).
rebuilt stock trans
Tires are 165/80R15 Nankang
30 mpg
20 mile round trip commute usually 200 or so miles a week total driving
55,ooo miles since a complete mechanical rebuild finished in 2012.
Satisfaction level is a 10/10 This Beetle is by far the most reliable old car I have ever had.
Wish list: 100,000 miles before another engine rebuild. Less oil leaks from engine/trans would be great but I've pretty much given up on that.

My Beetle on top of Coronado Heights, Kansas from a road trip this May.

I've rather enjoyed your past road trip pics and stories, you should keep 'em coming.
Popcorn
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

I've rather enjoyed your past road trip pics and stories, you should keep 'em coming.
Popcorn

Thanks. I enjoyed your road trip story from a while back as well. I am driving out to the Black Hills in South Dakota in a couple weeks so maybe I'll have another story coming.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

All stock '67 Bug.

Heidi became my daily driver when I retired April 1. I've logged nearly 3,000 miles with her since acquiring her last fall. Shes perfect for everything from our daily morning cruises along the beach to running various errands in and around town. We've even put her roof rack to good use on several ocassions hauling bagged mulch and sod from the local nursery Very Happy

I've now logged just over 5,000 miles. The only mishap I encountered was running out of fuel one Sunday am this past summer when the fuel gauge wasn't reading correctly. Embarassed I love this little car!!!

8/2017 UPDATE...

Nearly 2 years have passed, and I've logged just over 12,000 miles of driving pleasure with Heidi. Most of these miles have been covered during early morning cruises along the beach before the SOFL heat kicks in mid morning. She always starts with the first turn of the key, and runs and drives perfectly.
Average mpg is 28, and average oil useage is 1/2 qt/1,500 miles. In addition to the pleasure of driving, I also enjoy tinkering with her every 3,000 miles...oil changes, valve adjusting, brake adjusting, front end greasing, tire pressure adjusting. Looking forward to doing her next service which will include a complete tune up.

5/14/18 UPDATE...

This little car is a gem! I drive her almost daily in/around town, averaging 125 miles/week of trouble free driving fun.

In the near future I’ll be dropping the engine to replace the transaxle mounts. And, as long as I’m in there...I’ll replace the clutch disc and cover, release bearing, and main oil seal.

I still love this little car!

9/29/18 UPDATE...

190,000 miles on the body/chassis and 90,000 miles on the motor.

What a joy this little car is! I still drive it almost daily, and it never fails to provide reliable, economical, and pleasureble driving experiences! This past June, she was treated to a new clutch, starter, flywheel, main oil seal, and engine compartment tar boards and seals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Hats off to you Frank. You’re further south than I am and I just can’t bring myself to take any of mine out during this time of year let alone make it my daily. It’s been so gross out. I don’t think some of our northern Brethren realize exactly how hot and humid it gets here.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Hats off to you Frank. You’re further south than I am and I just can’t bring myself to take any of mine out during this time of year let alone make it my daily. It’s been so gross out. I don’t think some of our northern Brethren realize exactly how hot and humid it gets here.

I try to limit driving the Bug to early mornings and/or evenings when the SOFL weather conditions are a little more tolerable. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I did a 100 miler yesterday in my 67 to Avery's Air Cooled. I needed to pick up some engine tins for my 2180. I had a nice care free drive.
I have a small oil leak coming from the fuel pump block off plate. I'll fix that this afternoon.
Otherwise the car ran great.

I drive my car daily to and from work daily... Well at least when it's not on the roll back for some break down that incapacitates the drivibility. Shocked
That happens about once a year. Failed shift rod bushing carrier, failed oil pump, broken steering rag joint, failed oil pump again due to FOD.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I have been working for YEARS at the final goal of returning to my high school + college daily driver. Part of that goal was to get on this forum and officially declare to the greater samba community that I am indeed an ACVW daily once again. I'm still waiting on my seat upholstery from TMI and theres some minor electrical that still needs doing, (also my rebuilt starter solenoid is missing a bunch which is annoying) but it doesnt stop me from driving. Im pumped to join your ranks!

1967 Type 1
AS series dual port, stock accessories, stock displacement.
4 speed stock ratios
175-65-15 up front, 195-60-15 in rear.
MPG is not even a thing i pay attention to
52k miles
satisfaction level is thru the damn roof
jacobversus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Dailying my 66 since I got her 5 months ago. We've done about 4,500 miles together, and not stopping anytime soon.

[url=https://ibb.co/hLLVnq]

[/url]

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Still daily driving mine. Bit chilly this morning though.

REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Winter weather is upon us. A flurry starting reminded me that I love driving my '67 year-round, despite "normal" peoples confusion - because apparently ACVWs hundreds of millions of cumulative miles being driven in snowy weather is invalid these days; theyll never make it out of your driveway and youll die trying.
greattribulation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

My daily... bit frosty this morning! 16 degrees but ol lucky fired right up!...
1500 single port
Slip in big bore and 110 cam or so I was told.

2 1/2 inch drop spindles and stock beam
Down a click in the rear
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Nice Franken 67.
It's great to see one in it's designed environment.
Cold, snow, foggy day.

If your heater channels are junk. You can find a diesel cabin heater on EBay for cheap. Noticed the foggy windows!

The checkerboard rear fender is kinda cool!

Welcome aboard.
greattribulation wrote:

My daily... bit frosty this morning! 16 degrees but ol lucky fired right up!...
1500 single port
Slip in big bore and 110 cam or so I was told.

2 1/2 inch drop spindles and stock beam
Down a click in the rear

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
greattribulation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

67rustavenger... thanks for the tip on the heater.... she's actually incredibly solid!... heater channels are great...new pans but no rust anywhere. My heater tubes to my defrost are just shot.... that's my to do list next weekend... replace .... lot of great ideas on here on how to get more air to the windshield... one piece at a time!
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Umm, greattribulation, I don't see any indication that you were doing donuts in that hugely open snowy space there... so I'm certain this photo was just before you carpe'd the hell out of that diem.
greattribulation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Oh ya... you know I had to do a few before leaving there!
aam76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Been driving my Paprika Red 1960 Vert everyday last month.

type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Started daily driving this in September, 50 miles a day round trip to work and is my primary car. 66, 1600dp. Great car!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 52

Jump to: