Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clunk from the front beam
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3 Viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Clunk from the front beam Reply with quote

Hello!
I have a clunking noise from my front beam of my 71 variant. The noise is present whenever I drive on a bumpy road. I have new balljoints, so thats not the problem... I did an inspection today and i saw that the driver side is a little bit lower than the passenger side (2-4cm), and that there is contact between the rubber bumper thingy and the trailing arm on the lowest side. Do you think the noise can come from there?

I adjusted the steering for play, and i noticed that there is a tiny "click"/very small "clunk" somewhere in the system, but do you think that this noise can get so amplified when driving that i hear it?

Thank you Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: clunk from the front beem Reply with quote

Try adjusting the upper sway bar/torsion bar (do a search for it of the forum).
It could also be the bolt fell out of the opposite side, allowing the lower trailing arm to come out, causing the clunking noise. It's also possible that the lower beam bearing is shot on that side from a lack of grease.
Sorry, those are just a couple I can think of right off hand. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: clunk from the front beem Reply with quote

As Tom suggested, I'm betting your lower left outer trailing arm bearing is trashed. That would account for the uneven stance.

Also possible you have a broken torsion bar.
Type3 Viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Clunk from the front beam Reply with quote

Long time ago i posted this tread... Thank you for your tips! I tried adjusting the upper sway bar and the clunking noise reduced, but there are still some clunking.

Are the bearings on the lower trailing arms available, and possible to change at home, or do you need special tools and NOS parts? Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: