Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182)
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

Hi Everone, i'm new on here and i hope somebody can help.

I'm looking for a wiring diagram for my 1976 safari (182) it has an alternator, not a dynamo.

Looking forward to any replies

Thanks

colvfrfg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

Here is the link to mine, hope it helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw9puhs90wfmsu4/Diagrama...l.pdf?dl=0
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

That diagram is for the North American version of the Thing.

To the OP:

Are your front turn signals a simple teardrop shape? Like the one on the left?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do your headlights look like these? Or more like bus tail lights?

Are your wipers controlled by a switch on the dash, or by a stalk on the steering column?
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply.
The turn signals are the same as on the left, the tail lights are same as the picture and the wipers are comtrolled by a switch on the dash.
Regards
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

Thanks for the wiring diagram but as Captain Spalding says, it's for the American version using a generator, not an alternator. I don't know if the colour coding is the same?
Regards
Colin
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

The diagram below accompanies the other diagrams in the Thing wiring section of the technical archive. It is not correct for North American Things. It's certainly not correct for a 182, as it seems to be laid out for a left-hand-drive car, but it does show the proper wiring for your front turn signal housings and a dash mounted wiper switch. You will have to do some investigating to see if the wire colors on the drawing match the wires on your car, and deduce whether the drawing can be used by just flipping the relevant portions over.

Just some random notes. I add them because there is no key accompanying the drawing:
The M1 and M3 bulbs will be city lights, inside the headlamps.
M5 and M7 will be single-filament bulbs. Turn signals.
M6 and M8 will be single-filament bulbs, the rear turn signals.
M2 and M4 will be dual-filament bulbs. One filament will be running lights, the other will be brake lights.
The drawing omits a switch, bulbs, and circuit for back-up lights.

This drawing shows wiring for a generator. I think an alternator in any Thing is a conversion. There is a document here that shows how the electrical portion of an alternator conversion is accomplished. It may be of service to you.

Hope that helps . . .
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. and the generator conversion is straight forward.

Is E1 a floor mounted dipper switch for the headlights?

Best regards

Colin
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

E1 is the light switch. The high beams/low beams are selected via the turn signal switch on the steering column.
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

I see, once again, thanks for the info.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

It's an interesting situation. The diagram I gave you is definitely European, but perhaps too old for for your car. For example, you have the "elephant foot" style of tail light. So you probably have reverse lights. And I'm sure you must have a brake warning light on the dashboard. The wiring for both of these is missing from the diagram I attached. It could be you will need both diagrams, the one FJBLF referenced, and the one I referenced, to understand the wiring in your car. (If you stare at them both long enough the similarities greatly outweigh the differences.
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

The car was either imported from Mexico or assembled in Jakarta using parts from Mexico.
There are quite a few parts missing from the vehicle, including the E1 light switch. After carefully studying the wiring daigram, the electrics are becoming clearer.
There are reversing lights on it and the switch is on the gearbox but neither were connected. I'm waiting for a new wiring harness which hopefully i'll receive next week. The supplier here knows the about the wiring differences and says the replacement harness is suitable for both types. (alternator or generator etc.) The 'wiring' that was on the car when I bought it, was a bit of a mess to say the least.
I'll keep you posted
colvfrfg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram 1976 Safari (182) Reply with quote

Latest update :-

New wiring harness/ loom installed and tested lights etc and all are ok. Now i need the turn and wiper switches, anyone know where to get these from? Also any photos showing the housing for the switches would much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: